• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Things that wake me in the middle of the night

Here it is. I reread and added a post to it.

I may go back and look into this for a winter project. that is if I don't run across a cheap engine to work on fixing up for my truck. I like the bolt idea with the saddle washers

I don't like the flat nuts inside the rocker arms. Also do not like the additional side-to-side play in the rockers. You're adding potential problems in exchange for the believed security of the nut and bolt system. The plastic retainers have proven themselves for over 300K miles. Just change them out when you're in there.

With 200,000 miles on an engine- absolutely just new plastic.
But many have seen them fail in the 150,000 mile range. I have seen enough that it is why I hate the fuel lines over the covers. So a new engine, I can see the change if the engine is expected to not get opened up for 300,000+.

I agree the way it’s in the video is insufficient to be a solid upgrade over the plastic. The more I think about it- solid round bar inside the rocker shaft that is tapped for all 4 bolts is the way to do this mod. And bronze saddle washers that have same OD as plastic keepers.

In your situation- definitely just new plastic. Maybe if you freshen up the other engine it would be worth it.

custom line wrench- nice.
Sucks to have popped it apart and didn’t need them now.
But proves previous owner has replaced at least one before you got it. How many miles were on it when you got it

150k when I bought it back in January 2010.

My crows feet are down in Fullerton and Harbor Freight is out of stock. Had a cheapo set of made in India box wrenches I can’t remember where they came from, so out comes the grinder with the cutting wheel. This works much better than the crows feet.

It will be back together tomorrow.

Last edited:
So do you see that it lost a rocker arm button before the 150k mark if the previous owner lost that in there?
sometimes they last a long time, other times not so much. Flip of a coin

I have no idea. Could have been me when I did the other side. I often put stuff on the as a temporary holding place while working an it’s easy to knock the stuff off.

Update on this. Found the fuel leak. Completely whiffed on tightening the bottom line. Corrected and tested by running with the manifold off. Will put the manifold back on tomorrow between meetings. Just ran out of light and need to be able to see that everything is clear from under the manifold before tightening it down.

Back