• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Things that wake me in the middle of the night

Big T

Reaction score
After resealing the passenger side valve cover, I was putting the heat shield back on and had the two little sheet metal screws sitting on top of the battery. Of course I knocked them off. I found one of them below in the shelf/tray inside the fender well:

73C77F03-A30E-42A0-B9E7-362B275250A2.jpeg

While searching there, I found one of those plastic valve rocket retainers, pointed end down sitting in a hole. It seem highly improbable that I knocked one off and it flew over there, dropping down the front side of the battery landing pointed side down in that tray, but I can’t take the risk.

0BE41EA0-5239-4F19-9ACA-A0FA3DF8D22B.jpeg

I have all the injector lines connected at the IP and the injectors, but the intake manifolds are off. I need to go backwards here and pull the valve cover again. I ordered a set of 8 valve retainers delivered to O’Reilly’s in Missoula by Thursday. This was the cheapest way to get all 8 retainers (RA only had 6). I had previously replaced these on the driver’s side when I was re-sealing that valve cover about 12K miles and a couple years back.

Never did find the second heat shield screw, but I’m assuming an appropriate sized sheet metal screw will do.

Oh dang. That is just way too bad.
It seems that is the way things usually go for Me too.

I think there is very little chance that I knocked a retainer off AND it landed where I'm pointing in the picture. That said, can't risk it. Parts will be here Thursday. I can have it back together pretty quickly.

when I did my valve covers I never even thought about those! with almost 300k om nine and not knowing if or when any other work had been done to it. now you've got me thinking..... what are the indications or sounds it makes if one is broken or missing?

Rebuilding this 1974 Triumph motorcycle for My cousin, now.
Started out as it was going to be for Me. He calls one day after I got the top end pulled for new gaskets and rings and a valve job. Then He calls and is quite sorrowful about selling it and would like to buy it back. Okay, I agree. Then He wants to go deeper. New over pistons, new valves and guides. Okay. I am knocking out the valve guides, loose my grip and ding the head. Right on the area where the steel cylinder sleeve compresses the head gasket for the fire ring. Crap. No way to efficiently weld that aluminum in that close to the combustion chamber.
Get a head coming from fleabay. It arrived yesterday. It looked fine. Left the feedback. This morning, out to the garage to clean it up. I feel a sharp edge. Get to looking, a busted fin, on the exhaust port side. CRAP. Seller says no refunds. I contacted him, after looking over the pics he had posted. That fin was almost like He took the pics in a deceiving manner. Almost impossible to detect, unless the head was in the hands. And even then mighty tough.
Seems You and me is both having a bad day. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹😹

I think there is very little chance that I knocked a retainer off AND it landed where I'm pointing in the picture. That said, can't risk it. Parts will be here Thursday. I can have it back together pretty quickly.

yeah. It looks to be quite dry of oil, in the picture. But, does not look like a lot of road grime on it too.
I thought maybe it fell down in there from when You did the other side.
If You still have the old buttons from the LH side, count them up and see.

like really bad clatter as if "shes gonna blow" or like a tappet or lifter tick? I can hear what I think is a tick or knock on the passenger side that I am still blaming on one of the injectors since I had done the injectors on that side at the same time. But it runs fine.
I really dont know. Just have read about it.
The way I understand it, it is much worse than a lifter tick, like maybe more of a clatter. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹

Rebuilding this 1974 Triumph motorcycle for My cousin, now.
Started out as it was going to be for Me. He calls one day after I got the top end pulled for new gaskets and rings and a valve job. Then He calls and is quite sorrowful about selling it and would like to buy it back. Okay, I agree. Then He wants to go deeper. New over pistons, new valves and guides. Okay. I am knocking out the valve guides, loose my grip and ding the head. Right on the area where the steel cylinder sleeve compresses the head gasket for the fire ring. Crap. No way to efficiently weld that aluminum in that close to the combustion chamber.
Get a head coming from fleabay. It arrived yesterday. It looked fine. Left the feedback. This morning, out to the garage to clean it up. I feel a sharp edge. Get to looking, a busted fin, on the exhaust port side. CRAP. Seller says no refunds. I contacted him, after looking over the pics he had posted. That fin was almost like He took the pics in a deceiving manner. Almost impossible to detect, unless the head was in the hands. And even then mighty tough.
Seems You and me is both having a bad day. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹😹

I bought a used knife sharpener on fleabay. Already had the same unit, but one of the diamond hones detached. Seller said his was tested and working. When it arrived, it would turn on but the shaft was jammed. I opened it and could not free the jam. Seller offered free returns, so I returned it and entered a negative rating with comments. He contacted me saying he would refund my $32 and asked if I could delete the negative rating. Told him I would as soon as I got the refund. He just received the sharpener yesterday, so waiting for my refund. I'll just buy a new one.

yeah. It looks to be quite dry of oil, in the picture. But, does not look like a lot of road grime on it too.
I thought maybe it fell down in there from when You did the other side.
If You still have the old buttons from the LH side, count them up and see.

Do not have the old retainers from the other side. I ordered 8 new ones which will arrive Thursday. Not going to take chances on this, so I will replace all of them.

I did take a step forward by installing the injectors on the driver's side during lunch, so there's that.

Seriously wish one of y'all lived closer..my engine has a rattle to it..seems a little more than diesel rattle. But it seems to go away when I get up to speed.. maybe a injector..or over fueling /out of time..

Seriously wish one of y'all lived closer..my engine has a rattle to it..seems a little more than diesel rattle. But it seems to go away when I get up to speed.. maybe a injector..or over fueling /out of time..
Dang tough to do an audio/video of a noise an engine is making and have it come out good enough to be heard over a phone or a computer.
You could try though 🤷‍♂️

Back