• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The forced air induction\more fuel thread...

SO some of the larger Holset HX40's had problems with the shafts shearing from fatigue due to the large compressor wheel, is the shaft upgraded?When we originally looked at the Holsets that was a concern. Just from what I can remember. I am not saying this is a problem with your setup, I remember reading that in the ricer forums. But that may just be an issue with the gas cars.

So does the four inch housing need to be necked down to fit the down pipe or is there enough room?

And how is it comparable in size to the ATT, did you or someone else measure the ATT to compare it :skep: it has a waste gate.:skep: so how big is the housing ?
:hello:
Is this the same turbo that Buddy was mentioning in the other threads or is it a different one?

Post 17 in this thread answers that question, Yes? or is it a different turbo? DANG I am getting old cant reminder anything anymore. Its all good, ok no more playing tonight past my bed time, us old guys have to get some sleep. Not you me.

Wait one last post tonight I have a picture of the 21000 pound load I hauled 1000 miles with my ATT equipped truck and a stock tune, the truck and trailer grossed out at a little shy of 29000 plus. Does that get me any points. That was with one of those hack model turbos, and it didn't even break down.

Have a good night, welcome to the show.

I am sorry for being such a Donkey, I will post that picture though just for gigles.

It's all good Dennis, I don't want any animosity between us, I only want to further the 6.5 community and find the holy grail of reliability and power for these engines.

We may not agree on some things, but let's agree to respect each other and work together not against one another.

Nothing but love the ZOMBIE.

You got it ( I couldn't sleep) yeah you might want to check the dodge forums it was discussed back in 09 that the HX40 had a weak shaft, partly because of the larger "65 " compresor wheel. Just something to look at for the durability, Waste a compressor wheel and your motor eats shrapnel. Not good at all.

And I think it was the 16 cm housing so if the exhaust housing is smaller than that it may drive that larger compressor wheel at a speed which it may have issues. I know the Dodge guys were running 40 psi at times and I think the large wheel and the psi they were running may have been a contributing factor so this may not apply, but it is worth looking into.

I / We had the same concerns initially before the ATT had more than 20000 HARD miles on it. And no hard feelings just couldn't sleep, so re posted Yeah been around the block more than once, don;t know much but have the scars and holes to prove I been there. Get some sleep tomorrow is another day.

Last edited:
Good idea we did the same thing, small world, Oh and by the way Tar Heels have thick skin. Just because I live up here doesn't mean I forgot anything.

The one Rob got is actually larger than the one I have suggested as a bolt on upgrade from the GM8. And with the 4" v-band it adds just a slight complexity to the install/fab over the 3" v-band on the smaller one. I think the ATT is still a tad bigger on the exhaust side, just from comparing pics next to a GM8. I would expect with that 16cm^2 exhaust housing HX40 that some tweaks to the PCM program would be beneficial.

I asked EMUSA if they had any of the smaller ones and although they were on Amazon as in stock, they dont have any for at least a couple weeks.

well, thursday morning i started on the install of our intercooler(shrapnel catcher), i have it installed behind the grille.... it fits with some minor trimming of the bottom lip on the grill and trimming modifying of the marker lights also i relocated the hood latch to the trashcan and will be using hood pins... i had to re-locate the trans cooler under the box, and plan to run an electric fan on it if need be... also the oil cooler was rotten(what a suprise here with all the salt) so i modified a front heat exchanger from a polaris snomobile to handle the task for now( also plumbed up a tee fitting for the oil temp gauge) probably going to build a large oil cooler to mount under the box because we are filling our block to 2" from the deck with cement and want cool oil... also any one care to comment on the non-gated H1C we are going to try?

If the shaft holds..I like it. It would solve my problem. I could easily install an IC anyway. Loads a room on an OBS. DIdn't look at that 7.3 one yet.
As far as using a blower...The idea of not using exhaust backpressure is appealing but the issues I would see it will blower produce more than enough HP to compensate for the HP used to drive it ? Also adjusting the boost levels ??? Unless I am incorrect the only real way to do that would be changing the drive pulleys. Maybe in a performance appp but for a DD ?? Not to mention the Pulley nightmare. The crank pulleys on these are junk to begin with so I don't see it being strong enough to drive a small blower with the existing belt routing so a new pulley would have to be fabbed that could incorporate both no ?
I don't see the benefit for the amount of fab required. It is still a 6.5 at the end of the day. Even Bill Heath's race truck is like a Dmax,Cummins,PS on stage 2.

well, thursday morning i started on the install of our intercooler(shrapnel catcher), i have it installed behind the grille.... it fits with some minor trimming of the bottom lip on the grill and trimming modifying of the marker lights also i relocated the hood latch to the trashcan and will be using hood pins... i had to re-locate the trans cooler under the box, and plan to run an electric fan on it if need be... also the oil cooler was rotten(what a suprise here with all the salt) so i modified a front heat exchanger from a polaris snomobile to handle the task for now( also plumbed up a tee fitting for the oil temp gauge) probably going to build a large oil cooler to mount under the box because we are filling our block to 2" from the deck with cement and want cool oil... also any one care to comment on the non-gated H1C we are going to try?

:nopics:

All the parameters for the blower have been worked out as well as the drive, no modification needed to the original drive belt. The initial drive pulley settings are already figured out based on rpm curve and desired boost levels at those rpms. The blower is more than significant to drive the needed cfm to efficiently fill the cylinders, The max blower speed has also been figured out as well, rotor flex expansion and a whole slue of other parameters. But like I said funding has been pulled do to LACK of said funds, I am probably going to file the plans away for later and do one for my truck in a few years, if ever.

Also going to call Peninsular Diesel and offer them the other project I have been working on,they may really like it we will see. I know it would benefit a few other trucks. This way the modification can be verified by someone other than me, and they can do with it what they want.

For the HX40s, as long as the inducer is not more than 60mm, and its a diesel without air throttle then it would not have surging issues that likely contributes to that shaft breaking issue on gassers. The BOV that I hoped they installed on the gassers probably cannot bleed fast enough.

Yeah but the Dodge forums have a lot of bad rep on the HX40 as well. Just so you know it isn't just a gasser problem. I know a few guys around here that are ricer racers. They are a crazy bunch, but some of them are pretty fricking solid when it comes to turbo charging.

BUT and this is the kicker they were specifically talking about the larger compressor wheel being part of the problem, and asking for an updated heavy duty shaft. They seem to think the shaft was undersized for the wheel, also talked about using the hx35 turbine section,and turbine with other wheel combinations as being the most durable. of course that was the factory turbos so I am not sure how it applies to a copy. And the HX or HX copy would be driven by a slightly larger displacement engine so that would be another variable. But then again it is wastegated and may never be an issue.:???:

Yep that is what testing does, the big thing is to test it heavy because you never know what people are running, or how they drive. I personally drive it like I stole it most of the time but tow heavy more than I drive fast, course I don't figure running my engine at 3000 for a half hour at a time is abusing it. 85 to 90 miles an hour.

I am becoming a post whore, So how do the drive pressures relate to compressor wheel inertia, there was talk the hx 35 had a heavy turbine wheel and spooled a little slower than the HX40 but the HX 35 actually flowed the same cfm more efficiently. Just wondering out loud.

Back