• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The forced air induction\more fuel thread...

I think that most people will find that most modifications are possible just have to try it. Some work, some don't, some work partially. There are those that do and those that wait for others to do, Most wait for others then go the safe route and then complain about the little abnormalities that come with the territory.

If you enjoy the way a stock truck drives leave your truck alone, or make modifications that keep it within the parameters that you can live with.

ALL modifications change stock driving parameters. Some with more abnormalities than others. So that being said, spend those RD dollars and try modifications, I just did a few over the weekend that are not supposed to work according to the GM manual and I can tell you that they do. YES it made my tweaked programs come alive tried both ways and I now have data that the alterations make a difference in the way a tweaked program can run. Is it something for everyone NO.

just did a few over the weekend that are not supposed to work according to the GM manual and I can tell you that they do. YES it made my tweaked programs come alive tried both ways and I now have data that the alterations make a difference in the way a tweaked program can run.

Well share your data and let us make the decision.

I would love to hear what you've done as would many others I'm sure.

I would like to get the most my motor has to offer, as would others.

Is it something for everyone NO.

I'm not everyone, waiting with baited breath.

how reliable would a ds4 maxed out be driving everyday with an intercooled t4 hx40?

There is a guy on ebay peddling Chinese knockoff Hx40s with a T3. I don't know how good the quality is though..I would not wanna be a guinea pig..The only diesel that I know of that was supercharged was 2 stroke Detriots and it was not done for boost but more so theory of operation. They had no intake valves so the blower forced the air into the holes in the cyls,. This was called crankcase scavenging. More HP was obtained by stacking a Turbo on top...aka the "T" series. Unlike a 6.5 a real Detroit won't run without a blower.

this thread is a good idea, I will again apologize to 6.2 turbo for derailing his thread, sorry!

Anyways now that you guys have mentioned it, I have been thinking about turbos again, and I came to a similar conclusion as buddy, that a large non WG turbo could do pretty well on a well fueled 6.5.

But what turbo is the question. I would imagine the ATT would do well here, but I have seen some others thrown around. Turbonator, you mentioned about a VVT from a Dmax, how do those turbos measure compare to say an s-400 or hx 52?

Also, one last question, what about the turbo from a 6.0 powerstroke? The only reason I ask is because I see one for sale locally at a good price. Unfortunately it seems like the hx52 and s400 are a bit pricey for my budget, considering I just spent a good bit on my current turbo set up. I imagine if I get my IP working as it should, I could almost keep the VGT fully open.

Great thread guys, you guys know much more than I do, I am just along for the ride, and to do some experimenting :)

Wern't the Turbos on 6.0's an issue with them ?? I know my buddy on LI had his replaced by Ford at 20k miles.

Some quick searching I found that they are VGT turbos. I knew they were variable something, but I didn't know exactly. Probably not worth the work assuming what I have is better. You are probably right with the problems but I don't know, I guess they had the first VGT.

Some quick searching I found that they are VGT turbos. I knew they were variable something, but I didn't know exactly. Probably not worth the work assuming what I have is better. You are probably right with the problems but I don't know, I guess they had the first VGT.

they had the same issue as the vgt cummins. soot from the egr and from the engine would make the vanes stick so they would stop moving causing driveablilty problems. evetually ford and dodge figured out if you cycle them everytime they start up the sticking doesnt happen as much. the only great way to control them is with electronics which is about $900 for the dmax turbo. i think the power strokes are about the same price.

If my hx 52 lags to much I will try lots of things to try and help it. Probably start with smaller crossover pipe sizes. I think with the compression I have it might not be so noticeable. I have several hx 52's . The one that I put on the Tahoe is supposedly a pro 52,the rest are Volvo.

so if i wanted to get a tune that maxed out my ds4 is there any suggestions on what i should tell the person doing my tune?

For OBD2 I could not say how it could be done. Them are the secrets :) Although I really dont know what they have available to mess with in the software they use.

What can be done is to max out the fueling curve and fuel modifiers. Maxing out the fuel curve is typical, that is a table where throttle position vs RPM returns a fuel rate in mm^3 up to 80.

If my hx 52 lags to much I will try lots of things to try and help it. Probably start with smaller crossover pipe sizes. I think with the compression I have it might not be so noticeable. I have several hx 52's . The one that I put on the Tahoe is supposedly a pro 52,the rest are Volvo.

Any chance you might be interested in selling one? :)

buddy, that makes sense now why when I hear alot of them 6.0s start up they whistle like a vacuum before sounding normal, must be the VGT cycling.

Another thing that might help with spooling a non WG turbo would be a better exhaust system, like headers and have the crossover come in closer to the turbo, if staying with conventional side mount turbo like I will. Might keep the exhaust flowing faster? I would imagine lower EGTs as well.

At a minumum, extrude honing the manifolds would help spool and efficiency. Custom headers combing into a T4 flange would be ideal, rather than combing in the manifold. Of course center mount I suppose is ideal for equal length.

At a minumum, extrude honing the manifolds would help spool and efficiency. Custom headers combing into a T4 flange would be ideal, rather than combing in the manifold. Of course center mount I suppose is ideal for equal length.

Agreed. You mentioned before about exhaust housing size, and I am trying to find some more info on the HX52 and HE351VE. I found one place that said a HX52 is a 16cm exhaust housing, is that correct? Also, what is a HE351VE, 14 cm??

they had the same issue as the vgt cummins. soot from the egr and from the engine would make the vanes stick so they would stop moving causing driveablilty problems. evetually ford and dodge figured out if you cycle them everytime they start up the sticking doesnt happen as much. the only great way to control them is with electronics which is about $900 for the dmax turbo. i think the power strokes are about the same price.

makes sense, that is why the egr delete is popular.

What Turbo would be most comparable to a GM4 but have an ex outlet that is clockable ?

find yourself a mitsu TE06 wastegated turbo from a banks kit for the 7.3idi.... it is an excelent bolt on upgrade, just a tad bigger than the gm-4 and it breaths much better, will boost efficient to 18-20 psi with a turbomaster style controller...

Back