• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The dragging saga continues.

glad you found the return line that failed causing a problem.

The hose that comes with the harbor freight gauge will fail soon if used in permanent position. So doing the harbor freight gauge inplace of a permanent dash mounted gauge only buys a little time. So use it for diagnostics then remove it and keep in truck to check randomly.

Oh ok. I just figured I could get that and use it for a few days or a week to test dbrannon's theory. Then later on when to work caught up with stuff I could probably spend the money to get a good one.. the only problem I've been having with the truck lately other than the dragging problem was that it kept pulling to the left. . Which I thought it was just cuz it was out of alignment. But I didn't take it to get it aligned because it needed new front tires. I put new tires on the front a week or so ago.. so I was going to take it to get it aligned this week just to make sure the tires stay good and to stop it from pulling to the left.. but today while I was changing the brake pads, I noticed what's actually causing it to pull left. The metal bracket strap that goes over the sway bar bushing on the driver side is snapped right in half.. so I got to find one. I called the local auto parts stores but they don't sell them. So I'll look on eBay later. Cheap part probably but pain in the butt to find evidently.
But like I said other than that the truck's been running good. Just basic maintenance here and there. So hopefully if I can diagnose whats causing that first shift to be so hard when you take off God willing it'll be the end of it.

Ok. For cash savings- seriously learn about diy veggie oil as fuel. Just don’t use peanut oil. Any other oil is ok.
Unfortunately the ds4 means no used engine oil- db2 makes that a one time expense of a few hundred bucks then pays for itself instantly and is less work.

If you know any lineman or anyone that works at a transformer rebuilding facility- mineral oil is ideal and is what is used in big transformers. It is clear enough that it can be mixed with gasoline and ran in ds4.

I was wondering about using used fryer oil. I know you have to filter it really good . I think @DieselAmateur has a set up for this. Maybe he could explain it to me how to make it . The only linemen I know is in Rochester, 2hours away. But plenty of diners around. Could also get used tranny fluid from shops . I have thought about converting it to a DS2 many many times.. considering I have two good DS4 pumps, could probably unload them and get enough to get the DS2 and other stuff needed to convert it. That is assuming my extra pump is still good it's full of tranny fluid so it should be.. I've actually been saving all my used motor oil, I know I can't run it in mind, but I figured it would be good to have on hand for the s.h.t.f. category of the world..
Although now that I think of it, if that cracked line has been letting it suck air, I'd think it could be possible that it's damaged the pump to a extent..I guess time will tell..

That harbor freight pressure test kit uses a 1/4" flare schrader like on the old R12 systems to connect to the various adapters in the kit. with me having the remote fuel filter on the fire wall, I had thought about looking for a fitting that was male 1/4" npt to make 1/4" flare that has that schrader valve in it to permanently mount on the filter housing. this way I can connect the fuel pressure tester to it any time quick and easy.

That harbor freight pressure test kit uses a 1/4" flare schrader like on the old R12 systems to connect to the various adapters in the kit. with me having the remote fuel filter on the fire wall, I had thought about looking for a fitting that was male 1/4" npt to make 1/4" flare that has that schrader valve in it to permanently mount on the filter housing. this way I can connect the fuel pressure tester to it any time quick and easy.
For a temporary thing, fine but long term just tap to the ip. In the last month there is 3 more people that had screwed diagnostics from testing in places other than the ip inlet.
2 thought they had good pressure, did all the other checks and replaced ip- to have the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. One guy replaces ip, then an airdogg lift pump, ffm, lines feeding it all, then finally a rubber line off the ffm to the drain side because thats where the later year hummers put a schrader valve for testing. That when in frustration he layed out all the replaced parts on the ground and realized the rubber line was only thing missing. Sad part was- 2 of the 3 I told them each at least twice.
There is a fourth guy fighting his for 3 months now iirc- about to ship his hummer to a shop that already “phone diagnosed it” and told him without a doubt they will install new ip, LP, ffm assembly. After the final pm to him I gave up and told him do it and pay the bill so long as he sells the hummer the minute it is running right. He has the money not the right choices.

@Will L. I didn't think about that. I could get the adapter to go in the IP and install a schrader there and then test any time. later on when I have the funds, get a real gauge to put in the cab. iirc I did see this adapter beginning to get poplular on the jungle site. I know you shared a link to the site that sells the original one.

Honestly well I don't usually try to find old threads, because it seems like unless you know exact perfect keywords to put in it never finds what you're looking for LOL.. but I will try to find it
Best to use Google. Type in whatever search terms you’re looking for, and throw this in the search bar with it: site:thetruckstop.us

That way it uses Google to search the site here. The search bar here is useless, a common forum problem.

Honestly well I don't usually try to find old threads, because it seems like unless you know exact perfect keywords to put in it never finds what you're looking for LOL.. but I will try to find it
I really suck at searching.

I see people say, just do a search. If it's so damn easy. Do the search and post a link.

I must never know the proper search terminology.

I can't even find stuff I posted.

Im not good at finding stuff, but the hummer forum I am on recently switched to this same set up from its old one. This set up isn’t bad- that old one was insane.

Also figured out it is side tracked threads and non specific titles that make it harder.
Like the title to this thread- itnis a good description of his problem but not many people in the future will search “my truck is dragging” More likey searches that will bring up this thread is someone drag racing the 6.5.

Yeah that’s part of it, but I think mostly it’s just the fact that these forum search functions are about as useful as the search bar on Amazon. Which is, basically useless. 😝
Like I said, I’ve found using Google is the best way to get relevant results, and I spend a lot of time searching for stuff on forums. 😂

Anyway, didn’t mean to sidetrack entirely, just wanted to put that out there.

I NEED a truck. I use it for work. As in hauling materials, hauling

I did not know this. Maybe you tow enough to make a diesel break even.

I 100% agree on the expense of two vehicles. However we just went through that question with a FN LEMON that Won't Run and Drive, chokes to death on it's own hot underhood air still, and obtained another vehicle.

I do hope you are billing out being "that guy" that has a pickup and can drive. Back in the day the company dad worked for would rent pickups out sometimes for more per hour than the laborers it took to the job site. (Time and materials jobs.)

If your work is dependent upon the truck but the truck isn’t dependable- your income isn’t dependable.

Will said it best...

Newer vehicle including MD trucks to do jobs should be considered if they are cheaper than a pickup.

Regardless I, and others on here, still want to see you progress to a better situation for you and your family. You are trying for sure no doubt.

@WarWagon thank you.. yeah, the truck makes its own money..I actually charge my boss a dollar a mile to haul material with it. Of course at 10mpg and fual being 4.00 it's not a great profit but it adds up.. that's a lot of why I'm so Willing to keep pushing forward with it...aside from when it decides to break a ball joint, it always gets me where I need to go. ( Started keeping a spare ball joint , joint press and a tie rod in the tool box.)
It's almost always petty stuff that goes wrong, and it doesn't help that nobody really makes good quality parts anymore. And believe me, I'm about as sick of complaining about this truck as y'all are of hearing about it..lol . And the other reasons are one the frame still looks like damn near new , the box is getting rough but the cab is solid, and the engine still seems to be pretty strong.. surprising when you think about the fact that it has 316k on it . But then again I'm not 100 percent sure it's the original engine..
I do still think something is screwy with the tranny. But hopefully that's just something that needs adjusted.. could probably use new shifts solenoids too. But that's cheap stuff.

@WarWagon thank you.. yeah, the truck makes its own money..I actually charge my boss a dollar a mile to haul material with it. Of course at 10mpg and fual being 4.00 it's not a great profit but it adds up.. that's a lot of why I'm so Willing to keep pushing forward with it...aside from when it decides to break a ball joint, it always gets me where I need to go. ( Started keeping a spare ball joint , joint press and a tie rod in the tool box.)
It's almost always petty stuff that goes wrong, and it doesn't help that nobody really makes good quality parts anymore. And believe me, I'm about as sick of complaining about this truck as y'all are of hearing about it..lol . And the other reasons are one the frame still looks like damn near new , the box is getting rough but the cab is solid, and the engine still seems to be pretty strong.. surprising when you think about the fact that it has 316k on it . But then again I'm not 100 percent sure it's the original engine..
I do still think something is screwy with the tranny. But hopefully that's just something that needs adjusted.. could probably use new shifts solenoids too. But that's cheap stuff.
Myself, and I am sure everyone else in the forum, just wants to see You get this truck running without issues, to be reliable and dependable and not have to work on it every time You decide to use it.
Plain and simple, we are rooting for You.

Is there a tranny shop that gives free estimates near you?

Anymore, I take a lot of stuff for free estimates. Then I decide if I'll do the work myself, have them do it or search another shop. Most times the price is fair and I have them do it.

It's usually a choice between a dealership and one of 2 shops I have used before.
They know I have always done most of my own work previously.

I'm really hard pressed to use Bill Kay Honda for anything.
They told my wife that the CR-V needed brakes 40,000 miles ago. At that point they were only 40% wore.

Trust, but verify.

Whenever you take it into the shop, ask the name of the mechanic. When you get an estimate, if it is messed up at the shop. Remember, you can have a good shop hire a bad mechanic. you can also have a bad shop owner hire a good mechanic.

Stoney, I feel for you and your situation. Yeah, I’m the guy at the other end of the economic spectrum. People wonder why I drive the 6,5 Suburbans that I have when I can have anything out there? There are multiple reasons, but I will start with they are not my primary vehicles. They can be down for repairs and it does not impact my day-to-day driving needs as I have a reliable 2005 Honda Accord for that.

Second reason is related to the first. I never wanted $50K to $60k invested in a truck that would not be my primary vehicle. I bought my ‘99 Suburban in 2010 for $6,750 with 150K miles on it. It now has 237K miles on it. Do the math, and that’s 6700 miles per year. No way am I going to incur the depreciation on a new truck for that little usage. You could probably argue I’ve suffered little in the way of depreciation on the ‘99 Suburban.

Finally, I did not grow up with a lot. I had to purchase my own cars and maintain them myself. That taught me self reliance in terms of vehicles and their maintenance and repairs. There’s little I can’t do when it comes to maintenance and repairs. If I don’t know it, I come to places like this, endure the wrath of Will L., figure it out and get it done. That doesn’t always happen immediately. Case in point my son let the ‘94 rot in my yard for 3 years because he couldn’t figure it out, but now I got it running reliably. But 3 years highlights the fact that it was not needed as a primary vehicle.

At this point I derive satisfaction in doing the repairs myself. It’s sorta like defying the system and keeping these old trucks going….because I can. It’s that self reliance factor. All that said, I go back to the fact that these are not my primary vehicles. If they were, they’d drive me nuts.

P.S. all of this is qualified by the fact I do not live in a rust belt area, which changes everything.

@Big T I appreciate the understanding. I'd say we probably grew up similar. I was pretty much raised by my grandparents, my parents were in my life, but they were usually more interested in fighting with each other. Grandparents were not The wealthy by any mean, just Great depression era farmers, Grandpa worked at the feed mill, Grandma worked in the local school cafeteria. Never had a lot but it was a happy home.
I think a lot of why I'm the way I am is because of things they taught me, like never finance anything, if you can't pay cash for it you don't need it. Grandpa always said he'd rather fix the old tractor that was his, rather than by the new tractor the bank could take if he had a bad year. It would be nice to have a second vehicle to fall back on, and hopefully that day will come.
I guess my mindset is my house may need a s*** ton of work and my truck maybe older and a little worn out but they're mine and nobody can take them from me.. I like having that security.
Now that covid is pretty much over, and life is trying to get back to normal I figure things will start going up and up again it's just been a matter of riding out the storm. I've had people make smart comments about my truck or my house or even my equipment, and I tell them all the same thing, 9 years ago I walked out of a prison with 50 bucks to my name and literally the clothes I was wearing nothing else. So if I got as far as I have a 9 years from literally zero I think I've done pretty good. The funny part is it's usually people that have a quarter million dollar mortgage on the house that run their mouth..lol.
Like I said earlier I really do appreciate you guys sticking with me through it and appreciate the support.

Back