• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thank you to PennDOT and their Awesome Winter "Brine" Program.....!!!

turbopower6

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just in time for winter and more salty brine coatings to be applied to our vehicles in the Northeast I encounter the other side of clear and passable winter roads here in Pennsylvania.

My transmission cooler line(s) have cycled out with rust and are now leaking and spewing ATF all underneath the Suburban applying an nice "antirust" coating up underneath the vehicle from front to back. This happens, of course, since the lines are discontinued from GM. I am not sure who to thank from our local road department for this benefit?

Now the adventure begins again. Where am I going to find either OEM transmission cooler lines or aftermarket for the 6.5 Diesel with the 4L80 and 4WD? Plews/Edelman no longer makes the transmission cooler lines and I do not see Dorman making a Diesel application.

So I am hoping the assets on this site can weigh in and offer some suggestions for this pickle.
I am not aware of any braided steel line or other options but would love to hear input. I am thinking that using Hypalon line with barbed fittings in around the turbo and down pipe is not a great idea. I would prefer using steel lines and brass fittings since I am diving into it. Has anyone fabricated up steel line using the old ones as a template?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: apologies to those following me down the NE Extension yesterday applying a fine mist of ATF all over the front of their vehicles.:angelic: I was averaging about a 1 qt. to 30 mile application rate based on the 7 qts. of trans fluid I added to get back without burning up the transmission in the process of getting home!!:nailbiting:

Thanks all.
Ted

Am sure that the better experts will correct me. Am not sensing there is a difference from a gasser application to diesel in terms of the tranny cooler lines. Again, am sure that a much better expert will correct me on this.

Worst case, how about checking with a hydraulic shop? Locally, Parker is my go-to.

I'd make my own. Napa carries a copper line which they sold me a roll and let me return the test. This is not just a generic soft copper it is approved for brake lines.

They're mostly hard lines, so get out your bender and flaring tool, pick up some sticks of 5/16" steel line, and get bending. Otherwise they make adapter fittings and then you can make stainless braided an lines.

AN adapters are available however beware the newer rear return transmission cases require and extended fitting (extended inside case) for proper flow.

Almost every aftermarket vendor sells them, then pick your hose ends, hose and hose to cooler adapter to match the size you use, also I like to use fire sleeve or other quality heat shield where the lines pass the x-over etc......

I live in a very salty area on the Gulf and found the only undercoating product that holds up to salt is chassis encapsulator made by Eastwood...it's has UV inhibitors products like POR15 don't.

Hi All,
I checked with GM and they are different from the gas motors (of course!) as those are available from Rock Auto, Dorman etc.
My local tranny guy mentioned he may have a source to acquire new lines....:rolleyes: ....here is hoping!

If not... I guess I am bending and fabricating my own upgraded lines. As a footnote my wife is already giving me "the look"....?:bored:

Should I be worried?

Thanks all.
Ted

"Hey Honey, guess what?!? I looked at a new truck, and it goes for $65,000. Thats about $1500 a month!"

When she slows down the yelling, follow up with:

"Yeah, your right. Its way too much. But I figure if I can keep the repair cost down to $100 a week on the green/red/white/etc. truck right now, we are saving over $1,100 every month!! So tomorrow I will get the new transmission lines on order, and tonight lets celebrate all the saved $ by me buying you a nice dinner at the steakhouse."

PS: apologies to those following me down the NE Extension yesterday applying a fine mist of ATF all over the front of their vehicles.:angelic: I was averaging about a 1 qt. to 30 mile application rate based on the 7 qts. of trans fluid I added to get back without burning up the transmission in the process of getting home!!:nailbiting:
Ted

Get the best AAA membership offered. This way when something starts leaking, blows a bearing, or otherwise, risks a flammable oil mist blinding the drivers behind you by smearing up their windshield... Call tow truck and listen to radio while you wait. Have vehicle delivered home. Eliminate risk of the last quart being used too soon leaving you in a dangerous location to be rear ended by the blinded drivers even on the side of the road. Note: only you can decide if it's an emergency: Example you need the last 30 seconds of engine life without oil pressure for safety like changing lanes and stopping because the engine is still powering the PS pump.

I still recall coming over the top of a grade where I caught the sunset. I discovered the bus I passed on the way up, that was smoking white, had blown a turbo and coated my windshield (and everything else) badly. I took the next exit and what a PIA to clean off. Not safe to immediately stop as other drivers coming up behind me would have the same vision problem or worse if they hit their wipers and smeared the windshield up completely. 911 got the rolling hazard off the road.

Cheaper, less time replacing ruined parts, and less stress to call a hook. Makes owning an antique much more pleasant. After all New Stuff comes with free towing under the warranty...

Here is a good example of lighting off a flammable mist:

Get the best AAA membership offered. This way when something starts leaking, blows a bearing, or otherwise, risks a flammable oil mist blinding the drivers behind you by smearing up their windshield... Call tow truck and listen to radio while you wait. Have vehicle delivered home. Eliminate risk of the last quart being used too soon leaving you in a dangerous location to be rear ended by the blinded drivers even on the side of the road. Note: only you can decide if it's an emergency: Example you need the last 30 seconds of engine life without oil pressure for safety like changing lanes and stopping because the engine is still powering the PS pump.

I still recall coming over the top of a grade where I caught the sunset. I discovered the bus I passed on the way up, that was smoking white, had blown a turbo and coated my windshield (and everything else) badly. I took the next exit and what a PIA to clean off. Not safe to immediately stop as other drivers coming up behind me would have the same vision problem or worse if they hit their wipers and smeared the windshield up completely. 911 got the rolling hazard off the road.

Cheaper, less time replacing ruined parts, and less stress to call a hook. Makes owning an antique much more pleasant. After all New Stuff comes with free towing under the warranty...

Here is a good example of lighting off a flammable mist:

100% agree! Just ask @3bals about the value of a AAA membership. When his 6.5 motorhome's engine barfed a rocker pedestal and punched a hole through the valve cover here in Lincoln acouple of years back, AAA covered the tow of his motorhome back to the Twin Cities area at no cost to him. Can you just imagine how much it would have cost to tow a motorhome nearly 400 miles?

100% agree! Just ask @3bals about the value of a AAA membership. When his 6.5 motorhome's engine barfed a rocker pedestal and punched a hole through the valve cover here in Lincoln acouple of years back, AAA covered the tow of his motorhome back to the Twin Cities area at no cost to him. Can you just imagine how much it would have cost to tow a motorhome nearly 400 miles?
More than most could imagine. My grandfather carries a special policy just for towing on his 36 foot pusher because he got a tow one time for 15 miles, cost $1200.

Hi Folks,
This is what I love about this site. We all have had the shit hit the fan and not be evenly dispersed, often at the worst time, and we still find some humor in it all. More importantly, the "6.5 Adventure Team" comes through with great advice and perspective that I can say thank you for!

Epilogue: So my search yielded one of the last OEM trans lines to be had from an obsolete GM parts source. We then used a gas line and fabbed up what we needed using the rusted wreck that was the old line to make a bang on replica of the leaking one. Just for good measure we replaced the rusty transmission air to air cooler in front of the condenser with a new one to eliminate a "potential" future adventure. We added some heat protection wrap and reinforced the line clamps to eliminate metal to metal contact. Serviced the transmission and off I went to that Steak dinner and proudly told my bride how much money we saved in new truck payments and reminded her how "smart and beautiful" she is and how lucky I am to be her husband! I told her I am getting her AAA membership because I don't want her worrying if she get stuck and I am away for work. I also reminded her that I should listen to her more and she was right about getting AAA in the first place.

The "evening" proceeded to get way better,

How did I do.
Regards,
Ted

Last edited:
Fixing the truck can be hard but is good to do. Preventive maintenance like doing the cooler makes the break downs occur less often, so it helps.

Fixing a mad wife can be impossible, so preventive maintenance is mandatory.

Back