• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ted's trucks

What about the melling one?

Also this engine was a center mount turbo setup am i going to be able to use my intake?

I see in pics they blocked the turbo oil holes with a plate. Did Ted's say what heads are on this engine? As long as you told them side mount pickup IMO you should have the proper heads. Test fit the manifold with a couple bolts would let you be sure.

I am NOT the first to use locktight to seal the ARP studs in. All I can say is what worked for me baised on online advice pre-2011: Red or blue and as fas I as I know I am the only one who does the tightening the studs into the block. IMO tight studs allow the locktight to cure and seal better. I just can't understand why one would leave a stud loose in the first place.

Stick with what you have or use the "best known" that is a gearset. Chains simply can not handle the shock load from the IP injection events. Any brand stretches out. Carryover from the Olds 5.7 Diesel and early 6.2 in late 70's early 80's where emissions life was 50K miles and vehicle life was expected 100K tops. Tune ups were common back then. So GM beancounters went cheap and used a chain instead of a gear set like most other diesels did - except 4 banger diesel VW Rabbits that used belts. Clearly the single roller chain didn't make it off the Olds 5.7 assembly line (testing) before failing so they had to use a more expensive double roller...

Leroy Diesel Sells a gear set like this:
http://leroydiesel.com/products/timekeeper-ds4-timing-gear-set/

DB2 shown.
5.jpg

@ak
your going to have to do some modification no matter what with a centermount engine going into a truck

@ak diesel driver i know it has a block off plate on it already i know i have to change oil pump and pan and the one valve cover but as of right now im probably gonna scrap it all or sale it being the intake wont work and i have no clue how to make it work

The melling chain is good just like cloyes- both high quality. A chain is just a poor design choice for this engine. The ford idi that ran same db2 as the gm idi. Thr ford’s ip always lasted longer. The ford had 2 advantage: 3/8” fuel inlet to the ip and they have gear drive instead of a chain. So it is arguable why the ford lasted longer- but the ford never had to have the timing reset. And when the ford ip are rebuilt, the 4 different pump builders I spoke to about it say they could see the difference in wear of the 2 and the head/rotor shows up on the chain.

I see in pics they blocked the turbo oil holes with a plate. Did Ted's say what heads are on this engine? As long as you told them side mount pickup IMO you should have the proper heads. Test fit the manifold with a couple bolts would let you be sure.

I am NOT the first to use locktight to seal the ARP studs in. All I can say is what worked for me baised on online advice pre-2011: Red or blue and as fas I as I know I am the only one who does the tightening the studs into the block. IMO tight studs allow the locktight to cure and seal better. I just can't understand why one would leave a stud loose in the first place.

Stick with what you have or use the "best known" that is a gearset. Chains simply can not handle the shock load from the IP injection events. Any brand stretches out. Carryover from the Olds 5.7 Diesel and early 6.2 in late 70's early 80's where emissions life was 50K miles and vehicle life was expected 100K tops. Tune ups were common back then. So GM beancounters went cheap and used a chain instead of a gear set like most other diesels did - except 4 banger diesel VW Rabbits that used belts. Clearly the single roller chain didn't make it off the Olds 5.7 assembly line (testing) before failing so they had to use a more expensive double roller...

Leroy Diesel Sells a gear set like this:
http://leroydiesel.com/products/timekeeper-ds4-timing-gear-set/

DB2 shown.
View attachment 54910

@WarWagon my old engine has 214 thousand on it and yea i told margret i needed it for side mount turbo. This whole thing is a nightmare im almost ready to wash my hands with it and convert to carbed gas

For the intake- if you are going to run an innercooler you are going to be doing some custom intake plumbing anyways.

You could always use the intake and it is just some intake hose to the center piece if not.

On using the centermount heads and truck intake, I did it the other way around by buying a piece of threaded rod cut into studs. Screwed in and marked then removed and bent with a torch. Can’t do the same thing, but I will grab my truck manifold and look at setting it on my van centermount engine in the shop as soon as the Raiders are done fumbling the ball today.

Your golden. No worries with that intake. LOoks like they used truck heads on centermount block. All good.

Hey- check you julian date on the block if you dont mind. March of 99 or newer is the best GM block made for the centermount.

The melling chain is good just like cloyes- both high quality. A chain is just a poor design choice for this engine. The ford idi that ran same db2 as the gm idi. Thr ford’s ip always lasted longer. The ford had 2 advantage: 3/8” fuel inlet to the ip and they have gear drive instead of a chain. So it is arguable why the ford lasted longer- but the ford never had to have the timing reset. And when the ford ip are rebuilt, the 4 different pump builders I spoke to about it say they could see the difference in wear of the 2 and the head/rotor shows up on the chain.

@wili L. i dont mean to be talking about the timing chain i was meaning the injection pump drive gear i have the cam drive gear on the engine i was wondering if i could get a cloyes or a melling drive gear for the injection pump or do i need a new set

If you are missing the gear and don't want to use the one off your old one then yes buy one. If you're a purist and don't want to use an new gear against another old gear that haven't worn together, then buy both.

@wili L. i dont mean to be talking about the timing chain i was meaning the injection pump drive gear i have the cam drive gear on the engine i was wondering if i could get a cloyes or a melling drive gear for the injection pump or do i need a new set

These normally do not wear esp. on a low mile military surplus take out. Save you some coin here. What did your old IP gear look like: unless it ate some debris it will be fine. You will be into the chain before the IP gear wears.

Good news on the intake! Glad you were able to solve that question today.

These normally do not wear esp. on a low mile military surplus take out. Save you some coin here. What did your old IP gear look like: unless it ate some debris it will be fine. You will be into the chain before the IP gear wears.

Good news on the intake! Glad you were able to solve that question today.
Im not sure yet i just know it has 214 thousand on it lol it it looks good ill reuse the old one and get the paint off the one on the new engine

Ok awesome, a 2010 optimizer block. Better than any GM block.

And yeah, like the guys mentioned- usually the drive and driven gears for the ip are normally re used unless you see some damage. Rather than 2 new gears, I would coat the existing gears with that money.

Back