• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Suncoast GMAX-6 Kit

James, I just had my trans done on Saturday by Big Dipper. He did not replace the C5 in mine, said they are not needed. I asked him about the convertor and went with his suggestion with the way I use my truck.
I would ask your builder what they suggest for the convertor.

hey t2ch....can you pm me and tell me about your experience with big dipper....and what you had done...thanks...mike

James, I just had my trans done on Saturday by Big Dipper. He did not replace the C5 in mine, said they are not needed. I asked him about the convertor and went with his suggestion with the way I use my truck.
I would ask your builder what they suggest for the convertor.

What did he Recommend, and how do you Use your Truck?

I use my truck for everything from daily driving (and my truck rarely cuts off during the day)to towing a 10K pound camper in the summer to an occasional sled pull and soon a 1/4 mile.
He recommended either the Precision or 1054. I went with a Precision. Feels good, nice and tight. The tune in there currently has too much defuel for this trans but it was built for a stock tranny truck. I am waiting for my V2 and DSP 5. Should be hear Tuesday.

Hemis, PM inbound

I've heard George (BIG DIPPER) does excellent work and one of the best.

I just finished mine this weekened; I'm in the process of putting a writeup together right now. I got the Gmax5-3 Kit (everything included except TQ); I can say right now it runs AWESOME.

I got mine from Jim at Upstate Diesel.

sooo you gonna help me do mine schulte?

Sure! If you want to take a trip down here I'm sure Ben would let you use his lift and I'll be more than happy to help with the build. It's about a 5-5.5hr drive from Henrietta to here; you're more than welcome to stay over for the weekend if you do come down!

So did you buy a torque converter ?

Sure did. Bought a 1056!

Feels nice not having to worry about slipping! Let the fun begin. :D

Sure! If you want to take a trip down here I'm sure Ben would let you use his lift and I'll be more than happy to help with the build. It's about a 5-5.5hr drive from Henrietta to here; you're more than welcome to stay over for the weekend if you do come down!

Sure did. Bought a 1056!

is it something we could do in a weekend?

even having to remove it, do the work, and re-install it?

What makes a Converter "Loose" or "Tight".

Like what do those Terms mean when Talking about Converters?

Tighter would mean lower stall rating. A tight converter will have less slip at lower RPM than a loose converter.
Those who run big turbos often go for the looser conv. to get the turbo to light. The looser conv. have more slip to a higher rpm.

So if I was to Run the Stage 2 Garret Drop-In Replacement Turbo for our Trucks, what would you say I'd need?

With the ALLISON there is a bit more to it than just tight or loose. Call SUNCOAST or PRECISION and talk with them about what you have and what you want, and also mention any future plans for it. Some converters can be real loose down low, but come in hard at a certain point, or they can just be moderately loose all around.

With the Garrett drop in you only need a normal converter, no extra stall speed. When looser converters are needed you would not want to use it for a daily drive/work truck. There is several ways to make converters but make sure you think about what you are really going to use it for. Once the clutch in the converter is locked in place all converters are the same, unless the clutch slips. So take that in mind with how you use the truck. In Tow/Haul the converter clutch locks up in 2nd gear so the converters are all the same at that point.

I like more torque multiplication as that is what gets a load moving and gives a better throttle response feeling. Typically the tighter you make the converter the lower the torque multiplication there is in it.

I like more torque multiplication as that is what gets a load moving and gives a better throttle response feeling. Typically the tighter you make the converter the lower the torque multiplication there is in it.

I agree, I run a 1054 converter which is a tight converter especially considering I run an S400 charger. I like the drivablility and wouldn't change a thing. :thumbsup:

Back