• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Suburban Heated Seat Option

turbopower6

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
What year did Chevrolet/GMC offer heated seats as an option for the Suburban in the 1990's?
I am thinking about adding the option to my 1996 Suburban with leather seats. I would like to use factory controls in the factory location if possible. I have full power drivers seat and power lumbar on the passenger side right now. Anyone have pictures of the controls?

Has anyone attempted this upgrade?

Thanks got the help.

I know 99 had it as an option for the GMT-400, but not sure when it 1st came out. And the switch was mouned to the seat just in front of the 8 way switch. You also MUST have the 140 amp alternator to run them as they are power hungry.

My 98 Tahoe had 'em. Just be careful, because the element in my 98's driver's seat was shot when I got it. Never did fix it. Passenger seat got hot as hell, driver's seat got lukewarm after a half hour drive.

After driving the wife's '05 Escalade, I have to admit heat and a/c in the seats is cozy. Her '01 suburban had heated seats, but the new ones get hot quicker.

Did not see what method was planned for the upgrade in terms of OE or aftermarket.

If it is an aftermarket solution (pads) using the OE switches, that is workable. Personally I'd skip the OE solution completely as it requires seat belt connection and go with an aftermarket switch with LED in it. Reasoning is that I do not have to plug in the passenger's seat just to keep the pizza warm :) And Yes, I get it that the seat-belt interlock is a feature to keep from drawing on the alternator when nobody is in the seat, but it is easily defeated anyway ;)

If it is the OE solution, consider using a set of aftermarket pads. As noted, the OE solution for the GMT400 series is known to fail due to wire breakage.

And while working on the seat, consider replacing the seat foam as well.

Hell, even the one in my 09 Yukon is getting a little weak. But, the A/C seat works great, and that's what's more important to me, LOL.

I haven't even looked, how does the seat AC work? Heater is obviously a wire element sucking down the power to get hot.

Will...

...you're in Nevada. I'm not sure it's even right for you to comment about heated seats.;)

Oh, no. You don't get it. At 65* I'm cold, 55* I'm wearing a big coat and layers. Me no likey winter. Driving my hummer without a heater isn't bad because I'm usually working outdoors. So I'm in layered up anyways. Taking the kids to play in the snow - oh yeah the heated seats are ENJOYED! I'm so used to the heat until now 45 years old I never felt hot until the temperature was over 105. Yesterday I was welding a galvanized gate panel for a friend in the sun at 98* I felt a little too warm for about the first time ever in less than 100*. Still felt too cold when I got home and the wife had AC set at 73*. Maybe I'm just getting pickier.

Yup, yall are confirming what I 've known to be true. It became a factory option for GMC and Chevy's in 98 (probably Caddy for Escalade too). I'm pretty sure this is when they offered the heated mirrors too. I'm actually going to be pulling front captains chairs from a 99 GMC this week with both options
So often when it does actually get 'cold' down here, I don't even drive far enough for the heat to get hot. So if these heated seats don't put out, I'm on the hunt for something else electrical and instant for my short trips in *not summer*.

I'm going to look into relocating and replacing that switch. I want it more in plain view with an indicator light so I can catch them before a runaway...

Back