• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SUBURBAN HD

Leave it to GM to CHOKE and drop some underpowered hand-grenade diesel in. Just like they recently did with the 2500 vans and a "GAG!" 4 banger diesel. (GM doesn't make a 1500 van anymore.) To GM's credit they haven't gone total krap FWD in the vans like some others have. Vans, yeah, an unexciting who cares.

At the end of the day it's rough to get a diesel to pencil out with the TCO. Adding an expensive 6.6L Duramax to an upcharged 2500 Burb (over a 1500) and an expensive transmission ... some customers may need a defib device applied to see the MSRP on the window sticker.

May be a great rig if you can find one just like the ultra rare 8.1L burbs (or pickups). IMO the cost will keep them rare. 6.6L Duramax pickups sell well so I could be wrong.

I expect it would just run the 6.6 gasser. I few of those in service trucks at work. Time will tell how they do, but at this place they don’t get a ton of miles. Wonder how they’ll hold up long term.

i still never understood why no dmax suburbans. My 01 2500k HD suburban with the 6.0 gasser was nice but nothing compared to dmax. Maybe if it had a supercharger....

Been down this type of road too many times. Until I see a beefy Suburban again, I will put this news report in the same category as all the previous ones which claimed a resurrection of a diesel under the hood: Pure Fairy Magic.

If GM did wake-up and make an equivalent for the 3/4 ton Suburban, they would spank Ford's highly popular Expedition. But I have no confidence this will happen and GM will continue to let Ford eat that lunch.

If they did it would be like all the other stuff they are planning on releasing- 1 year or longer of media bragging before it happens.
GM gets allkinds of plans going and never figures out how to put the ball in the endzone. I will believe it when I see it- for sale in the dealership.

I could see a de-rated D-Max in front of a 6L90/95E in a 2500 Burb (2 or 4WD) aimed at the non-5th wheel travel-trailer towing crowd (like 28' Airstreams, etc) where they want a more "civilized" ride and the 3rd seat capability for keeping 3-4 kids separated on that family vacation for sanity's sake that a crew cab just can't give you.

Nah, was thinking along the bean-counters' lines of expense/weight of the Allison and the fact that it would be running a detuned D-Max (hence a 6L95E) in it. Could also go with a "Tow Package" Suburban running the regular D-Max with an Allison behind it, too.

I thought the same floor pan dimensions were used in suburbans and trucks. Pillars, roof, seats, dash, etc is all the same. They fit dmax/ ally in trucks, why can’t it fit suburban the same?

IIRC, after the GMT900 body, GM took the truck and SUV on slightly different paths. Still similar to each other, but no longer sharing the exact stamps like previous generations.

Back