• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stuck on the side of the road again...

RenaMoBena

Reaction score
Hi.. I’m Rena and this is my story... I have a 05 GMC K2500 with a newly rebuilt 6.6L that has now left me stranded on the freeway not once but twice.. it keeps blowing the same freeze plug.. any ideas?

Attachments

• 557B1632-1CDD-4EBA-843A-32A16585CEBC.jpeg
    557B1632-1CDD-4EBA-843A-32A16585CEBC.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to the forum. I agree with the magic of the permetex mentioned above.

Many high dollar engine builds use screw in freeze plugs.
I have seen where some people use a 3 stone hone to “clean” the seating hole of the plug- but get carried away and enlarge the hole allowing failures. Doing the screw in style fixes this well, but is stupid expensive and has to be done at machine shop. My backyard fix to this is using jb weld. Only use brass, not the cheap zinc plugs. They last much longer and don't rust. Then on next engine rebuild the jb weld can be removed via die grinding- but is a huge pain in the neck. So trying the permetex first is definitely a good idea.

And remember the term freeze plug really is an outdated one. When all engines had a hand crank- they were actual freeze plugs. The purpose of the hole in modern engines is sand removal from casting process. Most engines get destroyed long before popping out plugs if straight water is used and it freezes inside. Enough expansion to knock out the plugs cracks heads and radiators first...

WELCOME
I've only had a freeze plug actually work for freezing situation once..and that was with a 80's Dodge ram 100 with a 318 in it. I was madder than heck when I saw icicles hanging out from under my truck in the morning.. until I realized that's what saved my engine ... Guess it was dumb luck..lol.... I couldn't get the replacement ones to stay in, so I ended up getting these ones that were basically two pieces of metal with a big rubber piece between them. and they had a bolt that went through the whole thing ,so you slid it into the hole and tightened the bolt and it's squeezed the whole thing together and sealed the hole...

@Stoney with it knocking one out, lucky you didn’t crack a head or radiator. Vegas does get cold enough in winter to freeze, and with the high heat we would see people just run straight water often because it cools better and of course cost. Then it freezes come December and most often the radiator suffers first.

I used to ask mechanics I worked with how often they would see it in places that have tons of snow assumption being colder more often and longer so has to happen more. They all would laugh or look at me crazy and say something to the effect of- No, people that live in the cold simply know better. Only once in a while someone would do a repair and check with water for no leaks, then forget to drain and fill with coolant. Any shop here that would see 250 cars a month would get one each winter, providing it was an area that is really wealthy where they all have new rigs and never diy.

WELCOME
I've only had a freeze plug actually work for freezing situation once..and that was with a 80's Dodge ram 100 with a 318 in it. I was madder than heck when I saw icicles hanging out from under my truck in the morning.. until I realized that's what saved my engine ... Guess it was dumb luck..lol.... I couldn't get the replacement ones to stay in, so I ended up getting these ones that were basically two pieces of metal with a big rubber piece between them. and they had a bolt that went through the whole thing ,so you slid it into the hole and tightened the bolt and it's squeezed the whole thing together and sealed the hole...
There was a few times during a particularly cold winter that I used 50/50 antifreeze and popped four freeze plugs in two vehicles.busted the block in a firebird I had. Anyway,I couldn't get the regular metal freeze plugs to work without leaking or coming out. I tried the rubber ones with the bolt and washers and never had a problem after that.

Hi Guys... thank you all for your insight it Is appreciated.. ended up replacing the plug and re-enforced it with a bracket but I do like the Indian Head Shellac idea.. also realized the fan clutch wasn’t engaging so replaced that and replaced the radiator as the asshat before me filled it with stop leak.. she is running and sounds a lot healthier now and the test run with the toy hauler will happen soon.

Rena*

Hi Guys... thank you all for your insight it Is appreciated.. ended up replacing the plug and re-enforced it with a bracket but I do like the Indian Head Shellac idea.. also realized the fan clutch wasn’t engaging so replaced that and replaced the radiator as the asshat before me filled it with stop leak.. she is running and sounds a lot healthier now and the test run with the toy hauler will happen soon.

Rena*
Thank You Rena for the up~date, let us know how the haul goes, aaaand, dont forget where We reside. LOL

Back