• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Steering gear

4wd is a PITA, really tight clearance between Pittman arm and front diff. when trying to get the assembly out. Then remove the Pittman arm after the gearbox/arm is on the bench. There is no room to remove the arm before removing the steering gear. How do I know, he asks.

Now that I've done this job about 5 or 6 times, it's not that hard. Detach the Pitman arm from the steering cross link and leave it on the steering box. Detach steering shaft and remove the 3 large bolts going through the frame. Use a pickle fork to remove the Pitman arm. Consider replacing the rag joint on the steering shaft as it too is a source of steering play or slop.

Steering box in. Also replaced the rag joint, pitman arm,idler arm and bracket. Whoever thought of putting the idler arm bracket bolts in the frame needs a swift kick in the head.

Once upon a time, a mechanic lived next to an automotive engineer and his wife. The wife left the engineer for the strapping youg mechanic, and ever since the engineer and his friends have be designing payback.

My plan is the newer box w/6 bolt cover and FERM's idea of using a Jeep lower shaft when I do my DANA 60 install.

The Super Steer idler bracket w/tapered bearings will forever eliminate the need to replace another idler bracket.

Can you do a write up with pics when you do this? Would love to see it.

Once upon a time, a mechanic lived next to an automotive engineer and his wife. The wife left the engineer for the strapping youg mechanic, and ever since the engineer and his friends have be designing payback.

Can you do a write up with pics when you do this? Would love to see it.
Yep, will do.....

Back