• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Steel wheels

Those will fit the bolt pattern but won't be hub centric... I will be towing heavy and prefer to have a set that fits the hubs tight like the stock ones..

I've searched many sites and it looks like the only other option are the 19.5's, I'll keep looking for now...

17" has been neutered by the tire industry for weight ratings. They have the lowest rating of 16",17", and 18" tires now. Get any other size but 17" if you are making your own numbers off the tire capacity.

I don’t understand why hub centric. My understanding is I get that IF the lugnut allows shifting, the. The hub is right close to hold the vertical load. But on wheels and lugnuts that aren’t truly holding all the weight with the hub and the nuts only hold the horizontal load shift- why bother?

If there is 5 thousandths clearance between the hub and the rim- it isn’t really holding the load- the lugnuts are. Now if you do like ford did for a while and have interference fit of rim hole to hub, and there is a gap that allows play in vertical wheel stud to rim gap- then yes the weight is on the hub, not the wheel studs. But with acorn lugnuts- they automatically take all the load as they become the interference fit.

I found pics showing taperd (acorn style) and hub centric rims in 10 hole bud for semi truck easier online. The lugnuts are for regular vehicles. If you are switching to hub centric- buy hub centric rims like for a ford, not a gm. 067EE4D5-B906-40BC-BD02-2EAC1EC7FC15.png52880A55-60C7-4B2B-8DF3-9FD052362410.png5D5B0EA2-08BB-4B71-94AA-09A57C22E784.jpeg

Those will fit the bolt pattern but won't be hub centric... I will be towing heavy and prefer to have a set that fits the hubs tight like the stock ones..

I've searched many sites and it looks like the only other option are the 19.5's, I'll keep looking for now...
You can buy spacers to use between the rims and the hubs...
I use ALCOA 16" x 7.0" (not hub centric) w/TOYO 295/75/16 tires which have a capacity of 3,970 lbs each

Thanks for the insights. I'm considering steel wheels when I will avail replacement mud tires and wheels. I want something that could handle high impact. My previous alloy wheels weren't able to handle that, it was a mistake on my part, and I could no longer bend or hammer it back to shape.
Have you tried an Wheel Smiths like Stockton or perhaps Wheelsmith dot net they are both out there in CALI...

Back