• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

starter grinding really bad

Bad BowTie

Reaction score
Alright guys ive been trying to work on truck today bc it will not start with key i did however find a loose wire on starter changed connector and tightend the the little nut starter making all kinds of racket but still not turning over please help im out of ideas

Both bolts in and rear brace on starter? Triple check the rear brace is on from rear of starter going to middle of block. Don't crank the engine without it.

Next check the batteries and both positive and neg connections.

Remove starter and check flex plate. Replace starter. Check that crankshaft isn't broken. :smuggrin:

The truck will run all day as long as i park . On a hill my starter doesnt have a bolt or stud for that brace

I went and picked up the brace today i do have correct one now my question is who would have a starter they can sell me right now im in a big bind with the state if texas im trying not to put to much more money into this at the moment

Yes sir originally when i got truck to house upon inspection infound a bolt broke inside the block was able to retrieve broken bolt got 2 new bolts to install got all hooked up truck started fine then failed to do so since it started the first time

Manual trans by chance? If so the starter nosecone is different than auto trans trucks.

Possible it busted a bolt again esp if it was missing the rear brace. Inspect the gear the starter grabs to spin the engine as flex plates do break.

Could be worse - you could have been in Wacko, TX at the Twin Peaks...

Any part store can sell you starter.

There are still some starter/alternator rebuilt shop around Texas also.

Unless someone is near you(driving distance). Getting that heavy starter shipped to you will be expensive. They also are a PIA to change out, at least in my case. Heat shields, glow wires,bracket, wires, and heavyness all contribute to PIA factor. I would start new IMO. That said there must be some better than others. Rockauto may be your friend here as Remy or such might be best bet. Others like WarWagon will know better as if he can't wreck it, you can't. My policy is to install anything he and a few others around here recommend

Well the starter is the right one i was able to get the brace installed now it starts with a turn of the key all day long thanks for all the helpful hints

Ok so maybe i spoke to soon idk wut to do i installed starter braket/brace nice and tight starter bolts good and snug starter starts to turn motor over then starts making grinding noise again i turn key off then try to start again the starter spins as if it not grabbing nething "free spinning" should i have the darm thing tested at oriellys or auto zone

Seems as though some starters are to thick on the mounting flange. You may need to machine it a few thousandths so teeth engage properly. There was even a post here recently about it.

May be the previous not installed bracket has caused the starter to mess up the flywheel?

Also, there are a lot of badly reman starter out there.

Well the fly wheel doesnt look to to bad really i know it doesnt take much to mess it up im not ready to tackle a flywheel being ive only had truck 2 weeks lol i may get new starter first then if all else fails ill replace flywheel

Starter could indeed be bad and the auto parts stores cannot test for this part scenario's failure. The Starter Drive in the starter could be bad, it's a clutch as part of the drive assembly. This can break, or go to slipping and give a neutral type issue when cranking. Since starter testers at auto parts stores are not load based (nothing is loading the actual starter motor like your engine would) you can't test the starter drive itself.

Also the starter solenoid and linkage could be faulty, the linkage wears inside the starter and may bind, it's part of the bendix.

John

The other thing that people miss is the 2 large mounting bolts. The cross hatch area is to hold the starter in proper location. If that is worn down it will let the starter shift slightly out of place< usually not enough to make the gear miss the flywheel though. If you do replace them, that is one of the things to get from the dealership- only $10 for the set.

Hopefully this isnt a stupid question for this site but on my battery guage on the dash kicks up to around 10 volts when key is turned on while glow plug light is on when light goes out it goes up to 11 11.5 or so is this good or bad all cables seem tight wut can i try next

Mine drops when the glows light up. I do not know the amount. They use a ton of power, one of the reasons we have two batteries.

Back