• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Standard injectors vs HO injectors

Chevy Dooley

Reaction score
Hi:smile5:

I`m going to upgrade my engine this summer with GL4 or Kojo tuning.
The car has 80.000 on it but already a bad injector or two.
Should I just buy standard bosch injector or bosch high output?
What would YOU do?

Those are ones I run, from Heath,

There are those out there selling a h/o variants for less $$$, but so many shenanigans these days with injectors out there and inferior parts being marketed as h/os that aren't.

Heath to me are the ones I trust to be genuine 100% Bosch parts, not saying all others are junk or vendors can't be trusted, Heath's are the benchmark standard in a world of uncertainty.

I would talk to BurningOil, he was looking at selling German Bosch marine nozzles for $120 a set, which is a great price, so that you can just have yours rebuilt and pop set to your desired setting. Like if going with marine nozzles I would set the pop to 2300psi. If standard nozzles then maybe 2200psi. Local diesel injection shops usually charge about $15 an injector to install new nozzles and set pop pressure.

but its the age-old question, are they worth it? Everyone says they aren't worth it without programming to take advantage of higher flow capability, but what I'd like to know is head-to-head, how do they compare apples to apples?
Buddy just stated a difference of 2200 to 2300 pop pressure, would that even be noticeable, or measurable?

Yes they make a difference. Dieselpro did head to head bench testing, and said he busted the myth that they did anything different, but his test results proved that they did in fact let more fuel flow. To take full advantage of any performance modification you need a reflashed PCM program.

I witnessed some of said testing DP did, a valid & sometimes fun test :D, think pop tester and propane torch to get a graphic representation of what kind of spray pattern h/o vs. stock creates (kids don't try this at home) :nono:

My VW TDI bears similar result h/o injectors making improvement over the stock ones removed.

Programing is required to get maximum benefit, numbers advertised for gains are subjective, engine/IP health play a role in this.

For most 6.5ers stock injectors are sufficient.

So with my ATT, KOJO tune, and everything else, would changing my fairly recent stock Bosch injectors to HOs be noticeable? I really don't want to change them again, but I might consider it if it was going to take 5 seconds off my 1/4 mile time and allow me to do wheelies.

Buddy just stated a difference of 2200 to 2300 pop pressure, would that even be noticeable, or measurable?

The stock standard injectors pop pressure is 2060psi, and the marine ones are 2150psi. So I am recommending higher than stock pop pressures when you can output 50% more fuel. That is to better atomize the beginning spray to start combustion better so it all gets burnt. Other diesel equipment has pops of like 2700psi, but I would not go that high. 6.2turbo test the DB2 to be able to output 4000psi at idle before locking up.

So with my ATT, KOJO tune, and everything else, would changing my fairly recent stock Bosch injectors to HOs be noticeable? I really don't want to change them again, but I might consider it if it was going to take 5 seconds off my 1/4 mile time and allow me to do wheelies.

It might take a second off your quarter mile time and the IP may like you more for it. The only reason they can output more is that not all the fuel that gets metered will actually get injected, because there is like 10000psi line pressure to push it all out. But some gets recycled from the plunger. With larger nozzle less will get recycled and peak line pressure can be lower.

Is there any differences between bosch HO and marine injectors?
I know the marine pump has another "setup" and will work better on specific rpm...

Heath calls them "high output" injectors but Bosch makes "marine" nozzles. So I do not know what nozzles Heath uses, if it is the Bosch marine or what.

Does Heath have his HO's or standard INJ's pop-balanced? Or are they just factory specced and assumed good?

I'll tell you TD's truck idles so smooth with the Heath units in there, i'd be really surprised to hear that he doesn't. For the price and the smoothness of TD's idling I'd have to guess he does, but never received a direct answer, unless I missed it.

Marked on the box BOSCH in bold which I'll assume is the p/n 0432217255 couple of smaller numbers as well, injectors were sealed in plastic and wrapped in humidity vapor barrier control paper.

I now also see something I had not seen before, "Made in India" :eek: so apparently BOSCH has moved part of it's injector assembly operation to India, what I also see there is German writing on said vapor paper, so I surmise that assembled in India and tested/packaged in Germany ??? But injectors do have BOSCH logo stamps on the box, I'll have to see if same stamp is on the injector themselves.

Back