• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Something is slipping in 5th or and 6th

It looks like I will go with the V2. I will start off with someone elses tunes and then tweak them in places if I need to.

Keep in mind MOST tuners now days lock there tunes so you CAN'T change them. They will send them in a locked .ctz format which will let you flash them to the truck they are written for(the VIN MUST match for it to flash in), and that is it. You can flash only, not open to read them out or alter.

Yes, I was concerned about that. What other options does that leave me with the exception of becoming a master tuner and going to school and spending thousands of dollars

Yes, I was concerned about that. What other options does that leave me with the exception of becoming a master tuner and going to school and spending thousands of dollars

Well you don't have to be a "master tuner". I do it as a hobby, and am no expert by any means. There's alot of good info to be found at DP if you search the archives over there from before the AF buyout(most of the people who openly shared have stopped now that they see there hard work is making a big corporation money, and also theres a few over at EFILIVE's forum that will help out. If you with a V2, I have some stock trans safe tunes I can send you, and if your patient I can help you with some bigger tunes. I don't mind helping peopel with tunes, but like I said it's a hobby and I do it in my spare time when I have any.

Just a short update on the Allison. I had to knock on wood. It is really working great. Trans fluid temp is running about 20*F higher when I have the edge on a high tune but I am running a Dex III fluid and I can't wait to afford an EFI live as I think that will lower the temp.

Just a short update on the Allison. I had to knock on wood. It is really working great. Trans fluid temp is running about 20*F higher when I have the edge on a high tune but I am running a Dex III fluid and I can't wait to afford an EFI live as I think that will lower the temp.

The rise in fluid temp is normally from installing the pressure shim. Raise the pressure, and you raise the heat some. It may be worth your time to look into flipping your trans cooler over so it gets more airflow. I doubt tuning will change your trans temps any. Also trans temp is directly related to fluid level. Just a little overfull, and the temps will jump up. With the trans at 180 degrees, you want the fluid level to be below the middle of the hot hash section.

I will check it today when I go out and get it up to temp. I had a feeling that bumping the pressure would increase the temp a bit. I was thinking also of getting a PPE oversized Trans cooler and divorcing the trans from the radiator completely. That will allow the radiator to have a bit more capacity but am not sure about the Trans cooler by its self. The USPS has your package as of about an hour ago.

I will check it today when I go out and get it up to temp. I had a feeling that bumping the pressure would increase the temp a bit. I was thinking also of getting a PPE oversized Trans cooler and divorcing the trans from the radiator completely. That will allow the radiator to have a bit more capacity but am not sure about the Trans cooler by its self. The USPS has your package as of about an hour ago.

I got a Mike L Cooler on mine, and the Trans Temp rarely gets over 150*

I'm running Royal Purple MAX ATF.

DO NOT TAKE THE RADIATOR OUT OF THE LOOP! I cannot stress this enough. Without the radiator you will have skyrocketing temps at low speeds when you don't have airflow across the cooler. The PPE cooler is MIKE L's cooler, and is a good cooler. It's a high quality SETRAB cooler, and is VERY efficient(and expensive). People think they cost alot until they try to peace together a kit using a high quality cooler equivalant to it. And a good synthetic will help lower the temps a touch as well. With ALTO clutches CITGO QUATRASYN is by far the best fluid you can run, but it's TOUGH to find.

This is interesting fluid. But is it better than Transynd? And more highly recommended for the Allison than Transynd?

IIRC Transynd is the best for stock but not a built trans

Sent from my SCH-I535
Yep, TRANSYND is specially formualted to work with the stock frictions. QUATRASYN works better with ALTO clutches. And since QUATRASYN is a TES-295 copy fluid, it is also VERY resistant to heat without breakdown like TRANSYND is.

I have put 30K miles on the Allison and it is doing great. I added a PPE trans cooler (expensive) but it was worth it for me. It keeps the tranny temp to 20*F under ambient unloaded and equal with ambient with the trailer. I am having a cooling problem and will start a new thread for that.

Back