• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Something is slipping in 5th or and 6th

That is great. I was expecting to have to rotate it around again. That will be a dig help.

I got the Rt Ft wheel, inner fender well liner off and am getting ready to remove the starter.

Starter is out but, to remove, I will have to cut my exhaust pipe as I got the Diamond Eye "Quiet" 4" system and used 'U" clamps instead of buying the extra band clamps. I will probably get a band clamp for that joint when I put it back together. I have so much to do this coming week I don't know if I will get the tranny out.

Well it, the Allison, is finally out. I will clean a disassemble today.

20140719115051-M.jpg

20140719140850-M.jpg

20140719143830-M.jpg

Recently I am having trouble on occasion with the motivation ambition side of the life equation but as you can see in the frollowing pics that a quick boot in the rump from my darling wife and I am getting it done.

20140723162236-L.jpg

20140803100545-L.jpg

Now if I can find my camera I have more to post. Hopefully it will be completely assembled by Tuesday evening. I have done the pump mod, the drum assembly with the C1 and C2 clutches and am working on the rear case assembly.

Well, it was almost together and I had this needle bearing spacer left over and that is bad. So, it is coming apart and then together again and hopefully I will find where it goes

This little nspring which is for the parking pawl is way stretched and is a most common problem I am told when disassembling the Allison.

DSCF5779-L.jpg

This is what it looks like properly installed.

DSCF5781-L.jpg

And Maybe some more pics later. Gotta get it together correctly.

It should be of note your replacement spring is of the TRANSGO spring. The OEM ALLISON spring doesn't use that fancy little post to hang onto the case side which is how they get messed up coming apart.

Hi Therm, you are absolutely correct. When I told my man at Alligator Performance what had happened when I pulled off the tail shaft assembly he laughed and said that was a fairly common occurrence and he over nighted me the transgo unit as he said the regular OEM one was hard to come by.

I haven't down loaded any pics but today I found where the thrust washer was suppose to go. I was on the main shaft and and would have really messed it up if I had ran it without it. So the backend is all together I just have to torque the rear end cover bolts. I turned it over and installed the C3 clutches and pressure plate and just need to install the snap ring, drop in the drum assembly ( already installed the C1 and C2 clutches and buttoned that assembly up) and install the Bell housing pump assembly and it is done with the exception of installing the TQ.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to measure the endplay in the trans once assembled. Also make sure all of your thrusts are in correctly as one of them is pictured wrong in the manuals as to how it goes in. To check thrust you have to tuen it bellhousing up, and go through the PTO cover hole with a screwdriver or prybar to lift up on the drum assembly. You can use a dial indicator, or a micrometer by measuring the protrusion with the drum down, and then again with the drum lifted up. I don't recall what it is off the top of my head, but I think it's roughly .030-.045 you want(not certain, so don't quote me on it, check a manual). Endplay is the quickest way to tell if you have a thrust out of place or dropped on assembly because if one is off, it will throw the thrust endplay measurement WAY OFF. Also, before you go to drop the front portion in, make sure the intermediate shaft is dropped in all the way. There is a tool for holding it up during assembly, but I normally use a wooden block through the PTO cover hole. It can be a PITA to get to drop in once the back end is together.

Well, I drove the truck around the block and it didn't make any weird noises or shift funny. I need to check the level in the trans, put in the right inner fender well. install all the skid plates, and tie down the Trans computer. After I get that done I will go out and put the trans in relearn and then just drive it for a couple of days.

Ready for the brake torque burn out any day now! Yeah buddy! :hihi:

Sent from my SCH-I535

Back