• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Someone help me understand this!!

We’ve discussed that here before.
The drawbacks are- cdr is still limiting flow so loosing it is better.

If dumping a lot of oil now the muffler and rest of system gets oil soaked.

Better to loose the cdr and use a provent

LOL when I first saw the post on the face space, I was thinking this idiot is gonna have exhaust go into the crank case or has just created ole' smoky goin down the road! I didn't know it was a thing.

For those unfamiliar- gas engines use pcv valve (positive crankcase ventilation with a one way check valve) via vacuum generated by the intake airflow to suck out the pressure and any oil/ gasoline fumes get burned with the next round of incoming air to the cylinder.
This of course messes with getting a perfect mix of fuel& oxygen as well as burning some oil.

So the fitting in the exhaust pipe is at an angle and depth to become a venturi creating a vacuum to suck the crankcase pressure out. This becomes needed in high lope camshaft gas engines because just like a diesel engine- they don’t build vacuum on the opening of the intake valve. Although the system works- it doesn’t work really well. High compression gas engines (11.5:1 and up) create a lot of crankcase pressure. Often more than this exhaust venturi system can produce at rpm below 2500 rpm. This lead to people adding vacuum pumps to the pcv system to make up for it. Thats when they learned crankcases under vacuum creates more power. So from there the use of these systems greatly decreased because it isn’t legal for street use and also isn’t the best for power.

For our uses, it does a better job than just open venting to the street. But it will add oil build up into the muffler, soot trap, etc. neither approved by the environmentalist profit agency- so only run this for offroad racing of course.

When someone is tailgating and there is another lane to pass, or a single lane road- yup they need a nibble of knuckle sammich.

At the same time, when there is two or more lanes and people won’t stay to the right and allow others to pass on by they need the same reminder.

I am guilty of both infractions. I also get angry at others for doing them against me. The painful part is when I remember both at the same time…

Tailgaters is the main reason I always leave my trailer ball in the receiver sticking out! if they kiss my behind, it's gonna hurt some LOL
I've had that. Years ago a guy ran into my back bumper. Extra heavy 8" channel iron. He must have been hauling ass. I was and didn't see anybody behind me. He caught up on an exit ramp and ran into me.

I don't know what the deal was. Still had the sticker in the window. He never said a word the whole time.
The cop finally said, go ahead and go to work. We've got your statement. We'll call if we need anything else

Tailgaters is the main reason I always leave my trailer ball in the receiver sticking out! if they kiss my behind, it's gonna hurt some LOL
Handful of years ago I had a guy rear-end me at the stoplight.. he was in a minivan. On his cell phone . Probably doing about 40 when he hit me... I had my weight distribution hitch on the truck at the time... If any of y'all have ever knocked your knee into one of them you know how big it is... Went right through the front of the van and threw the radiator.. tow truck had to hook to his ass end and have me pull away, it ripped the whole front end off the van.... Man I love having a full steel frame under my truck 😂😂😂😎

Interestingly, keeping a hitch in the receiver can have the opposite effect of intent. Got-it that there are some situations where the front vehicle and occupants come out Ok from a rear collision, but this is a gamble.

Completely understand the intent is to punish the tailgater and protect the vehicle from some absent minded driver.

Irony is that this has more likelihood to punish the occupants in the vehicle wishing to avoid damage. Wait, WHAT?!?!?!

Here is the deal. The vehicle's rear is there to absorb energy. This design also includes the hitch receiver (without a hitch in the receiver) just as long as the hitch receiver complies with OE specs and design.

Now, to the effect. Lets add a hitch without a trailer. That hitch sticks out well past the vehicle's rear and is a hard mount directly to the frame. Along comes somebody and plows into the rear. Not so big a deal if that other vehicle is something puny like a Cooper Mini, but it is a bigger risk if a full size SUV or truck. The hitch punches right into the other vehicle and there is zero energy absorption for the front vehicle. If that rear vehicle is about the same size, or heavier, that hitch has a good chance of contacting something dense like a frame rail, cross-member, or engine, and the game is over as all the energy quickly launches the front vehicle forward. Almost 100% instant energy transfer, and nearly 0% absorption.

End result of this good intention usually is that the rear vehicle takes a LOT of damage, the rear vehicle's occupants get minor (if any) injury, the front vehicle gets little (if any) damage, and the front vehicle's occupants have a higher risk of going to the hospital with whiplash and possibly back injuries. Totally worth it, right? ;)

Sadly, I didn't invent this set of physics. Or play a physicist on TV. There are plenty of real cases of this good intent going backward. There are plenty of real lawyers who salivate over this scenario as well.

There was a time when I kept the hitch in the receiver, and even got poked by an absent minded tailgater. But, now I keep the receiver empty when not towing. Even yank the hitch out when I park the trailer. Vehicles are replaceable. Pain is not fun, even if it does result in a successful litigation :(

I still don't understand piping to the exhaust on a diesel. Just dense I guess
That little pipe going into the exhaust doesn’t just tie in any old way. It has a cross sectional cut that the exhaust gases flow past it - and it creates a vacuum.
Like the parts cleaner spray tool you hook to an air compressor, then the flexible tube goes into the cleaner- the air going past the joint sucks some of the cleaner out of its bottle and sprays the cleaner on your parts.

Another example is how a pressure washer uses the water flowing past to suck the soap into the line.

So that small tube they added is sucking away the oil mist & pressure from the crankcase.

A YouTube search of the “Bernoulli effect” or “venturi” should give lots of examples.
It’s one of those things that works opposite of how you expect it to. Like a theif who steals a shovel…

This setup has been used for DECADES. Problem is he screwed up on the pipe into the exhaust. It needs to be in a straight section of pipe and the suction tube needs to be at a 45 to the pipe. The fitting at the pipe is a 70's era smog check valve used for an AIR injection system. The idea is to use the exhaust gasses to create suction in order to create 2-3 inches of vacuum on the crankcase of the engine. This increases ring seal for increased HP and has the side effect of holding vacuum on the crankcase to reduce oil leaks while running. There is no CDR, just a breather fitting into the valve cover. If your engine is in good health, you won't have any smoke problems.

That little pipe going into the exhaust doesn’t just tie in any old way. It has a cross sectional cut that the exhaust gases flow past it - and it creates a vacuum.
Like the parts cleaner spray tool you hook to an air compressor, then the flexible tube goes into the cleaner- the air going past the joint sucks some of the cleaner out of its bottle and sprays the cleaner on your parts.

Another example is how a pressure washer uses the water flowing past to suck the soap into the line.

So that small tube they added is sucking away the oil mist & pressure from the crankcase.

A YouTube search of the “Bernoulli effect” or “venturi” should give lots of examples.
It’s one of those things that works opposite of how you expect it to. Like a theif who steals a shovel…
Or a pex ring cutter

Back