• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Some will be sad..... Others not so much.

Either the 4L80E or 47RE will require a stand-alone controller. The RH will work I believe, but is a very snug fit. The reason behind swapping in the CHEVY rear of the transfer case is to retain the factory speed sensor for speedo and ABS. Also don't forget that a stock 4L80E is NO match for even a stock 235HP 24 valve, it will end a miserable death if you try and tow with it.

I was pushing close to 240 with my Tahoe and towed heavy. Tranny was fine. I believe JKrace used the 47rh.

Keep in mind that the CUMMINS makes it's power with 6 instead of 8 cylinders. This means every power pulse from the crank is putting out more power, this why the NV4500 never had problems behind the 454 and 6.5 but a CUMMINS will take 5th gear out. Also the torque from the CUMMINS is quite a bit higher than a 6.5, and torque is what kills a tranny.

Well you could think about a manual trans...
I do know a built 4L80 will take on a 572 but that's some serious change there...

Either the 4L80E or 47RE will require a stand-alone controller. The RH will work I believe, but is a very snug fit. The reason behind swapping in the CHEVY rear of the transfer case is to retain the factory speed sensor for speedo and ABS. Also don't forget that a stock 4L80E is NO match for even a stock 235HP 24 valve, it will end a miserable death if you try and tow with it.

So can I mat the transfer cases together myself or is that something I will have to take in to get done?

They can take some pretty big HP and torque numbers in 1-3, but OD is there downfall. Mike L. was talking about them over on McRat's forum and was saying this. I know the DURAMAX GRAND NATIONAL is using one as well as the DURAMAX MUSTANG, but neither one of them will use OD for anything other than cruising. The TURBO 400 portion of it is tough, but the added on OD unit is it's downfall from what the experts say. The DURAFLITE has proven itself behind some 1000HP+ DURAMAX's with good reliability, and that one is a modded 47RE. You don't hear about the 4L80E behind HP and torque numbers like that. It's a good trans, but has some limitations to it.

Suncoast Converters had told me the downfall of the 4l80-85 trans was the converter. They were working on their new 4l80-85 converter for a long time, the trans has always been there but they never could do a package because the converter itself would not handle the diesel torque. I went through two Precision converters with my van and once they self destruct the trans goes with it.

If you'd like, I can give you a phone number of a friend of mine who lives/works in American Falls and has a Suburban with a Cummins in it, modded like wildfire. He did the conversion himself, and would be a wonderful resource for you.

Thanks for the PM I will give him a call this weekend!!

If you still have the 97 cooling mod I would be interested please pm with the price thanks:smile5:

I'm in a quandry here, this thread is part technical discussion, part want to sell, & part want to buy, as site rules dictate that WTB & WTS belong in the classified forum; please take those discussions direct to Ferm in PM, it will save a lot of Moderator headaches trying to figure out what should stay/what should go later in trying to move/edit the basically classifed stuff to the for sale area.

Tim I will start a thread in the classifieds tonight to keep everything separate. Does anyone know if there is a thread about that cummins in the burb from jk_auto? I searched but came with nothing.

Back