• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

some issues, possibly worn injector's?

Gekkoen

Reaction score
i have noticed lately that my fuel economy isn't as good as it used to be,
and it seems to smoke black more than it used to at medium acceleration.

sometimes at hot idle it has a slight random clacking.

i'm thinking new injectors would help somewhat,?
any thoughts on these issues?

Given the comment about more black smoke and lower fuel economy than normal, my vote is to first check the air supply for blockage. It is possible that either the air filter needs changing or something else is blocking the intake (air supply).

It is possible that there is an issue in the fuel supply (fuel filters, lift pump, injectors, etc . . .), but I'd check the air supply first.

I agree with jay, check air first.

What additive/ cleaner do you run through your fuel system, how muh and when is last time you did it?

wouldn't think the air filter is plugged yet since it's only 5 mo. since i replaced it. but it won't hurt to change it out anyway, just to see if it helps.

i put in about 0.5 liters of two stroke oil for every 40-80 liters of diesel, while i don't note any difference in economy it does seem to run smoother and the random idle clack is quieter than it is when i skip the oil for a while.

The reason i was thinking injectors is that i have no records of them being replaced, and they look like they have been in there a while. So they probably are original at 250k Km's

Yeah, then a new set isnt going to hurt. If you can get them balanced to within 25psi (1.7 bar) of each other on pop pressure, youll be very happy with the output.

I wouldnt just start throwing parts until you are sure thats whats going on.

Injectors should be done at 75k miles, so I think thats what 110k km's. Sounds like you're way padt due for them. Injectors can cause the idle noise as well as white smoke on startup, as well excessive cranking during startup. Excessive black smoke sounds more like air restriction or low boost though.

Back