• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Sold the K5 and bought a Burb

Yesterday we gave the Burb it's first assignment.

We needed to get a load of nut shells for the pellet stove, so we saddled up the rig, hooked up the car hauler and loaded the dumpster on board.

A 12 mile round trip to the nut plant and we had a load of shells.

Gross weight was right at 11000# for the trip home.

Never even broke a sweat on the way back up the mountain.

Attachments

• shell1.JPG
    shell1.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 9
  • shell2.JPG
    shell2.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 8
  • shell3.JPG
    shell3.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 9
Do nut shells burn comparable to wood pellets? And do they cost less in price? Here in the northeast a ton of pellets is about 257$ Just curious, and glad the Burb ran well.

Cost is 1.5 cents a pound

The shells are a waste item and must be disposed of.

We live in a prime hazelnut growing region, and there are MANY processing plants close by.

The one we buy from runs all their waste out through a trash fan that breaks the material up into pieces about the size of your little fingernail or slightly smaller.

The waste hopper has 4 drop doors on the bottom, and the number 2 door yields the best material, with the number 1 having for light stuff that falls off early, and the larger stuff goes no back to 3 and 4

Burn a bit hotter, but with 3 times the ash (Clean bi weekly)

Thanks, other than cordwood, I know of no other waste resource around here. I converted my manual wood furnace to pellets in my barn. When you add up the labor involved with cordwood, Pellets are a good value. They burn clean, hardly any ash and not dusty, and I save about 50% costwise, if I was to buy cordwood locally. Back on topic, now that gas is gonna be cheaper for a while, a 454 is a great choice for load duty.

Yesterday was decent weather wise, so decided to ferret out the power seat gremlin on the Burb.

Was gonna head to the u pull it yard and get a switch assembly and a few other goodies that might help, but decided to have a peek under the seat and see wassssssup.

Pawing around under there yielded a shower of sparks :eek: so decided to unhook the battery and remove the seat to have a better look.

Ripped the seat out and got it upside down where we could work on it.
Started unplugging the harness's and removing the switch assembly and soon the culprit showed its ugly self.

The large orange power wire had chaffed on the seat cushion sub frame (which is nasty sharp) and burned in two.

The seat had been apart before some time as there were replacement bolts in a couple spots.

Likely with the year of the truck, the leather seat cover had been replaced.

Finished snaking the harness and switch out of the seat and looked it over, hmmmmm, pretty good other than the one burnt wire and one other that was slightly ragged.

Decide to clean up the orange one and use a butt splice to repair it.
Taped the other one the wrapped the entire area with a good dose of electrical tape.

Smoothed up the rough metal edge of the frame and stuffed it back together.

Bolted the seat back in and Zoooooop, all fixed up nicely.

The 8 way works fine.
Likely not quite as fast as it did when new loooooooong ago, but works well.

Now to get the windshield sealed.

A few other little mickey mouse items and she be fine old Burb again.

When the P O told me the seat just quit abruptly, it set me thinking, either a fuse/breaker or a wire issue.

Anyone know what the little silver colored box clipped to the seat frame near the floor under the driver seat is for ?????

Missy

Hmmmmm
That sure sounds good.
About the size of 2 ciggy butt packs.

Judging by the number and small size of the wires, that would fit the description.

Thanks
Missy

Back