• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Sold the K5 and bought a Burb

Missy Good Wench

Wild Blonde from Cloud Mt
Reaction score
With the Smart car taking the major duties now, we needed a large rig again.

The K5 was too small to haul anything much and soooooooooooooo came decision time.

Always loved Burbs, so started watching Craig's list.

Found a really lovely 95 2500 4x4 LT with all the goodies.

Was listed for over 6 weeks and still there.

Ummmmm, maybe the 454 in the listing had something to do with the lack of a sale, ya think :rolleyes:

Green with gray leather interior.

Sold the K5 and got the Burb for $2k :D

205k on the clock and runs really good.

Good tags and a full 40 gallon tank of fuel.

Attachments

• Burb1.JPG
    Burb1.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Burb2.JPG
    Burb2.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 12
Them 454's sure don't add to resale value anymore. If you need one for the power, they sure are a bargain powerhouse, but for a daily driver who can afford to feed one.

Yup

I wanted it specifically for some tow duty and the occasional multi passenger duty.

The difference in mpg between the 5.7 and the 7.4 is not that much and this one has the big tranny with a shift kit.

The $2k price made it even more inviting as well

Neat as a pin and well cared for made it a steal.

No diesel.

My engine swapping days are over I'm afraid.

A low mile 6.5 Burb is a pipe dream me thinks.

Missy

If the fuel cost gets to you, look at the cng conversion maybe?
"low mileage" 6.5 burb is a variable opinion. How low is your target range?

The MPG is no biggy, as we bought the Burb is a stand by winter rig and used for hauling people if we have more than the two of us.

We also need a tow rig capable of hauling our trailer with the 3 yard dumpster used to get nut shells for thew pellet stoves.

The Blazer was lifted and difficult for Patty to get into, plus they are not a great people mover for us old folks.

The other downside was the Blazer can't haul much.

Drop the seats and a Burb can haul a lot.

All in all the rig will likely not see 1000 miles a year if that.

I tossed a lot of heavy smack at the Smart car when I first saw them.

Then one day a client of mine showed up in one and I drove it. :)

From the outside in, they seem like it would be like driving a little kiddie car.
From the inside out, not so.
Very comfortable to get into and out of, with plenty of room.

Well appointed with the controls placed well and easy to operate.

Ours has AC, stereo am fm
Electric door locks
Manual windows (crank)
Tranny is an electronic controlled manual with single plate clutch and a manual shift select option.
Great disc brakes front drum rear (ABS) :(
Plenty of leg room, even for a 6 footer like me :)
Visibility is great.
The manual steering is great when rolling, but navigating at slow speed is far better with the electric power assist
We are consistently getting 35 MPG in a tortured town and country driving and 40 plus MPG hwy.

The "widdle" 1 L 3 cyl engine has plenty of power and the little car will zip down the slab at 70 with ease.

Hills are no issue and the 5 speed has a hole for every occasion, with the top 2 holes being OD.

Driving in the D position and allowing the ECM to handle the gears is OK, but I prefer to handle the ratios on my terms. ;)

After having our 2011 Smart for a month now, we are ready to order a new one with all the optional goodies.

Great little commuter rig.

With just the 2 of us now, the Smart was a perfect choice.

Well made rig

I just hope they offer a little Dualy pickup :D

Do I have any regrets ??? absolutely none.

Do I feel safe ???

You drive far more defensively in the "widdle car"

The crash test reports are very good.

Would I want to crash one, NO NOT EVEN.

Would I buy another one ??? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS in a heart beat.

Interesting, can't say I blame ya. I have thought about it for my wife to take on short commutes but they don't leave much room for kidos.

Nope, the kidos are not gonna work with the widdle rig.

For a commuter back and forth to the work 20 they are the cats A$$

Lotsa folks could really save on the fuel bill back and forth with the little Smart

For those who have a given distance to work or ??? that's under 75 miles round trip, the Smart electric is SWEET OPTION.
You can run one for less than $20 a month on the electric bill at home

Can't decide which smart car I would prefer:
or
No really, I think they are cool lil run around cars, but a freeway crash scares me away. The cage they build around passengers is amazing, but when the whole car goes flying -idk... Experienced drivers probably ok, but not a new driver imo.

The last year I was stationed in Germany I owned a smart car. It was a German Spec car so was unable to bring it back with me. It was great going downtown. Never had a problem finding parking space. I mainly used for a commute car for work. The fuel tank was very small but would last over three weeks. Good little car.

How is the crash rating on one? Seems to me there isn't enough car to absorb impact energy.

How is the crash rating on one? Seems to me there isn't enough car to absorb impact energy.
VERY GOOD! They are one of the highest safety rating cars out there from what I understand. As to which one, the smart diablo hands down is cooler than the monster smart.

The passenger compartment is called the "Tridion Cell"

The dealer where we got ours has a cut away body demo in the show room.

Very well engineered, more like a race car cockpit.

The front fenders, door panels, rear fenders, front and rear panels are plastic.

The serious metal is just below the surface.

Also has multiple air bags too

Even with the good safety rating, I'M NOT gonna pull out in front of a loaded SEMI :eek:

Having been a commercial driver for over 20 years, I have great respect for the big road.

The Smart does not give the feeling of being flimsy or poorly made, but more solid like a large rig.

Ahhh well

Missy

From talking with a guy here that trains the jaws of life usage for FD, LE, and DOD in the area- the smart does well, but is hard to extract people because of the metallurgy and design of the pillars. He was making fun of my Hummer after looking over the roll cage additions I made and said-"If you crush yourself in here, just eat a bullet, cause no one can get you out with out a torch." I guess good and bad to the mega structure theory. I'll take my chances on a strong cage.

I wish the rating system was different. The car can get a 5 star rating, but that is "in it's class". A 3 star rating full size suv can be much safer than a 5 star small car. Guarantee a 1 star f550 survives better than a 3 star vw bug when they hit each other at 40 mph.
A flat out 0-100 person safety rating, then a separate 0-100 vehicle damage rating.

Was at the body shop the other day as I saw a Smart sitting in their lot (All messed up)

The Smart hit a large SUV AT 50 + mph and everyone walked away with only minor bumps.

All in the roll of the dice me thinks.

Back