• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So, why do you drive a diesel?

Henry Ford built a car almost entirely out of industrial hemp - all body panels, interior panels/upholstry/carpet, all the "plastics" used in the car - knobs, steering wheel, etc. - were hemp-based. It was done to promote the American farmer as the foundation of Industrial America.

During WWII, the USDA put out a promotional film, "Hemp For Victory" encouraging American farmers to not only grow hemp for the war effort, but showed them how to grow, harvest and process it - four years after the Marijuana Tax Stamp Act had banned industrial hemp growing in the US! Before Kentucky's farmers became Government Subsidy-supported tobacco growers, they were self-sufficient, financially independent growers of industrial hemp.
In WWII, future President George H.W. Bush's Navy fighter plane was lubricated with hemp oil products, its guages of its precision instruments in the cockpit all floated in hemp oil and its hydraulic systems filled with hemp oil.

Hempcrete is lighter and stronger than conventional concrete and is actually an insulator. Hemp fiberboard is lighter and stronger than conventional construction fiberboard and waferboard. Hemp fiber is 3 times stronger than sisal fiber (which is what's currently used to make 'natural' rope) and as strong as nylon and polyester ropes of the same diameter. Hemp fiber doesn't rot, which is why Pacific Theater uniforms in WWII were made from 100% hemp cloth instead of cotton - it not only took a beating and wore far better than cotton - they didn't rot away in place on the wearer like cotton did. All the rigging ropes on Naval ships were hemp, as well as all the canvas of the sails used prior to steam ships made of hemp because it was stronger and didn't rot at sea like cotton canvas would.
That's why it was called growing or smoking rope around here.

There's still a lot of ditch weed around. We and the neighbors had fields that came up in hemp every year. I heard last year, that at least one still does.

You'd get just as high smoking potato leaves. LOL. Hemp doesn't have much thc in it.

Years ago, mid 70s. An abandoned homested, cops busted it. Had a huge field of hemp plants. They thought they had hit the motherload bust. Nope, just some homesteader needing more rope. 😹😹😹
It had been coming up volunteer from the early 1900s

My first exwife, she hated my brother, I believe she still does. 😹
He would come over to this small town where I lived, we would go out raising hell and having fun. Before He would get ready to go back home, he would clean the seeds from his stash and roll one or two.
A couple of years later, one morning in the fall, putting on everything I owned for warm clothes to ride the motorcycle the 22 miles to work. Pulling on My helmet and, oh my gosh, a huge pot plant. It had grown from under a tire of an old Malibu. It was a foot over the fender. I pulled it up and hung it upside down in the shed. Harvested it after a coulle of weeks. Placed a leaf of five in a photo album. About a year later looked at that leaf, it was bright red. That was some good stuff. 😹😹😹😹

Years ago, mid 70s. An abandoned homested, cops busted it. Had a huge field of hemp plants. They thought they had hit the motherload bust. Nope, just some homesteader needing more rope. 😹😹😹
It had been coming up volunteer from the early 1900s
There was a lot growing during the big wars

There was a lot of ditch weed around this area. Probably still is.

A lot of asparagus along the ditches a short distance southwest. I know thats still there. Used to be an asparagus farm over there

A lot of assparagass grows over here too. I have never thought to study to see if it is an invasive plant or if it is natural to the area.
A lot of slough bottoms that used to previous river channels in this part of town. My son he has slough bottoms through his 12 acres and that grows him enough wild asparagus to keep him stocked for the year.
Here is a pic of 1944, I believe was the year. The only time that the American Armed forces bombed our home country.
The Yellowstone river ice jammed during the spring thaw. Flooding the town. The house I live in is in this picture. The Yellowstone River is in the back ground and the flooded sloughs in the foreground. I dont know if the pics of the residents was taken by the bomber crew or if someone with an airplane had taken them.
Those two black tarpaper shacks is My house. Mom said that the water had came up to the bottom of the windows.
Dad told Me that the first run over the ice jam just made a lot of noise.
The second pass they used a depth charge and that got things to moving.
092513F3-708D-41A2-8405-4D9D21E0380A.jpeg
E436A8A8-A1B4-44B0-8605-EC1661CB7C8C.jpeg

On the hemp- something folks forget about easy is the critter problem.

Right now Tesla is fighting a major issue because they used soy based insulation on the wires. Boatloads of people are having their wires chewed up at rates something like 25 times more often than any other wires. Critters tear insulation of regular wires to use it building nests. But the soy is literally food for them.

Hemp is the same thing. Many critters prefer eating it. Like mentioned there is very little thc in hemp- not enough to get a 100lbs person effected. But it is enough to make squirrels and such act funny. Used to be a bunch of YouTube videos of people showing it but PETA complained and YouTube quickly pulled them.

Ford spoke about it when they quit using it. They tried soaking in formaldehyde first but it was cheaper to swap materials.

Yep, lots of reasons to drive a diesel. I just got 20gal for $124. That's enough reason to get my s10 back on the road as soon as possible and park my 6.5. $6.20/gal locally, $6.61/gal twenty miles down the road. Gas is $4.40

Back