• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So, why do you drive a diesel?

Big Ray

my two fat girls.
Reaction score
I often wonder why we love these s.elly, noisey beast.
Me, I use to drive big rigs as a young man. Just something comforting and nostalgic for me, listening to it purr while parked in some strange place every night.
And the simplicity of the older rigs.
Loved my burb when it ran. Got the same feeling. It didn't drive long after I got it, but in fairness it was nearly 30 years old by then and there's no telling what neglect or trauma it's suffered.
When I get the time ill go through it and do my best to save it.
Just love these brutes.

Once you cross the line of 6,000 lbs non aerodynamic, or 7,000 lbs if more aerodynamic and the difference in torque makes it worth it.
On n/a diesel that becomes a toss up for some, but a hummer it becomes obvious. 1995 hummer no turbo= 11 -11.5 mpg. But the gas version got 7.5 mpg! How bad is it if you really drive horrible? I drive mine foot to the floor in city driving, speed 5over, braking late. Seriously not the way we are supposed to drive. I got 10.5mpg. I drove a 95 gasser that was open top, just like mine, same color and options even. I put just over 500 miles on it with same driving habits. 6mpg. Both of these have 4l80e, same gearing

comparing equal years of production counts too. A 400 torque 2010 or newer gas engine will get better mpg than a 25-35year old diesel.

diy repair is another reason. I don’t do new computerized stuff. Carburetors, mechanical injection pumps- a dmm is the most complicated tool required. Not that a person can’t learn how, and just buy the $2,000 diagnostic tool- just not for me.

I love the sound of the diesel and it's turbo. Not being partial to diesel or gassers, I have learned enough to get me by most issues with the electronics for both diesel and gassers and love to DIY. Though since leaning and working in various shops I feel the knowledge is a curse not trusting other shops to do work on my vehicles. I've see a fair share of screw-ups by shops only for them to put the blame on the owner for "aftermarket" parts and other things. if I had the choice I would go for a vehicle that was not dependent on any electronics to run and drive. some electronics is "nice to have" but can be gone without in my book. especially when the day comes where some unknown force turns off the computers where only the older beasts will survive.

when I came across the opertunaty to get the truck I have now (my first owned diesel) I didn't know much about it and have grown to love it even with it's little quirks it has :)

Because I don't want to listen to a Hemi "Scream" towing up the grade that goes for miles. Things like A/C compressor belts depart the engine when run for extended times above say 6000 RPM.

TCO, no. Get a gas engine vs. $10,000 upfront Diesel cost, filters, oil, and long term injector AND emissions equipment wear out sticker shock when the warranty is gone.

The modern Econo Diesels have all the Diesel costs and problems without the capacity of 3/4 - 1Ton. The TCO on better MPG is a long term gamble that can loose when Diesel becomes more expensive than cheap grade gasoline. I know of no-one on here that runs premium 91+ octane that is no longer 10 cents per grade more...

A Modern gas engine does indeed do better than the old IDI. Esp. when you consider the Asthma Attack turbo GM slapped on the 6.2/6.5 diesel and you tow both getting ~6-7 MPG. Not towing 18 MPG 2011 era modern gas and ~14 MPG 1993-1995 6.5TD.

Fuel economy. When I got My 2000 K3500 diesel was cheaper than gas.
Drive a crew cab pickup that can haul the son, granddaughter, sons GF and her child all in the same unit and the fishing gear in the back.
Gets about 18 per the gallon when not dragging a trailer and 12 when pulling.
My GMC K1500 would get 18 empty but then drop to 10 when pulling.
I have an electronic ignition on the 59 W100 Dodge but I do keep the points system on the ready, just for when T💩HTF.

Torque.

I used to tow with a 350 (four barrel), TH400, and 4.10 gears. Occasionally would use a K3500 (454, sm465, 3.73 gears on 215/75R16). The 350 would pull if you kept it between 35-4500rpm. The 454 was gutless. A stock 6.5 is as well. However, if the 6.5 is healthy internally, $2k worth of upgrades (bolt on) will allow the 6.5 to run rings around a 454 costing Much more. I have consistently gotten 2-3mpg more towing heavy than with the other engines ,(7-8 vs 10) and going faster with more weight. Empty, it is 5-6 better on the highway. My experience only.

Depends on the diesel.

New. No way. Costs too much and far too complex.

Naturally aspirated. Meh. Gutless but at least they will run. This platform is great for equipment like tractors and generators.

Turbo direct injected. Now we are starting to get interest. But not once DEF enters the picture or ones with EGR.

But not once DEF enters the picture or ones with EGR.

DEF is the way to go vs. the choke to death on EGR to meet some impossible line in the sand some ignorant EPA bureaucrat that doesn't have to care about COST set. It took several years of miserable "where is my MPG?!" crap that wouldn't run very long without major expensive problems before ignorant EPA bureaucrat(s) decided that we/OEM's could use DEF. Esp. to meet EPA's next NOx line in the sand.

I will say it's nice to pull over with said DPF equipped diesel, making as much power with a warranty as the 2003 was turned up too, and NOT HAVE TO WIPE THE SOOT OFF THE RV TOILET SEAT BEFORE USE.

MPG for an auto is very close to what the MT 2003 got.

DEF is the way to go vs. the choke to death on EGR to meet some impossible line in the sand some ignorant EPA bureaucrat that doesn't have to care about COST set. It took several years of miserable "where is my MPG?!" crap that wouldn't run very long without major expensive problems before ignorant EPA bureaucrat(s) decided that we/OEM's could use DEF. Esp. to meet EPA's next NOx line in the sand.

I will say it's nice to pull over with said DPF equipped diesel, making as much power with a warranty as the 2003 was turned up too, and NOT HAVE TO WIPE THE SOOT OFF THE RV TOILET SEAT BEFORE USE.

MPG for an auto is very close to what the MT 2003 got.
Absolutely no egr and definitely not a fan of def. Both have frequent failures resulting in expensive repairs.

Everybody I know, including me, has had emissions issues, resulting in burning the fuel / emissions they saved by running 2 vehicles to the shop, towing and replacement parts. Vehicles and equipment. A friend was down combining for 2 weeks due to Emissions issues on his combine. Cost him a lot of money. No lianer from the dealership.

Another reason we run diesels is we Hate going to town and we keep diesel here with a 2 micron filter. On the tank

Can anybody recommend a good diesel to replace the 2014 Honda CR-V AWD? 50,000 miles, about 30 mpg. It's the only reason we have gasoline here.

We do like that little car though.

Absolutely no egr and definitely not a fan of def. Both have frequent failures resulting in expensive repairs.

Everybody I know, including me, has had emissions issues, resulting in burning the fuel / emissions they saved by running 2 vehicles to the shop, towing and replacement parts. Vehicles and equipment. A friend was down combining for 2 weeks due to Emissions issues on his combine. Cost him a lot of money. No lianer from the dealership.

"Shit! Even in the future Nothing Works!"

No one said anything after Catalytic Converters were introduced and solved most of the emissions problems. The EPA kept coming after vehicle owners and Not A Peep. Now they are coming for "YOU". After watching some CA farmers run a Diesel engine pumping water with a black cloud over the pump engine seen for miles it's only because of "Deep Pockets" that farmers were exempt for so long.

The plan to Cripple The USA and take us out of the Superpower arena by our own people/Government is working very well. Meanwhile other countries don't have to care about emissions and underbid The USA. And we, cheap bastards we are, keep buying from them because they put our companies who have to pay to comply here out of business. Cheap Bastards outnumber YOU just in case I mislabeled someone. :angelic: And they run companies that are still in business unlike the ones run out of business due to imports.

The gasoline engines welcome their Diesel kin to the world of emissions reliability problems with an extreme cost only Diesel technology can command.

I have pissed into the wind as a warning about how to handle the changes to Diesel fuel (BioDiesel) that makes it's storage start to resemble that of short life gasoline. Maybe some reading can at least get a straw to grasp if/when they run into this new problem. Regardless running old Diesels that do not have EGR/DPF won't future proof you from "modern" problems.

Another reason we run diesels is we Hate going to town and we keep diesel here with a 2 micron filter. On the tank

Can anybody recommend a good diesel to replace the 2014 Honda CR-V AWD? 50,000 miles, about 30 mpg. It's the only reason we have gasoline here.

We do like that little car though.
I like our 2006 VW jetta diesel car, it gets 40 mpg for a 4 banger diesel. the only draw back is the higher cost on oil changes and trans fluid every 40k miles. but overall the car is like a swish watch that is until we broke the flywheel! It's got lots of maint free miles on it though :)

Just seen on the news. California is calling for people to hold off on charging their lectric automobiles. They is overtaxing the lektric grid system.
Can anyone see more wild land, and some not so wild land, fires in tje near future. 😵‍💫😖😹😹😹

I like our 2006 VW jetta diesel car, it gets 40 mpg for a 4 banger diesel. the only draw back is the higher cost on oil changes and trans fluid every 40k miles. but overall the car is like a swish watch that is until we broke the flywheel! It's got lots of maint free miles on it though :)
We want something more similar to the CR-V. A little SUV 4X4, has to be long lived and get good mpg. We make 5 to 6 hour round trips regularly.

We don't like cars. To hard to get in and out of.
Something that sits up a hair higher.

Just seen on the news. California is calling for people to hold off on charging their lectric automobiles. They is overtaxing the lektric grid system.
Can anyone see more wild land, and some not so wild land, fires in tje near future. 😵‍💫😖😹😹😹
Man, Stevie Wonder saw that one coming. They're doubling down on a system that's ready beyond maxed out. Between the fires and summer usage it's going to implode on them.

Back