• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Smoker build

Looking good!

What are those green things on your trees?
Those would be leaves. Us down here in the south have to deal with them twice a year when they fall off, but they don't change colors except to brown after they've been on the ground a few days.

Wait, leaves fall off?
What ever you did to the door it looks great from here.
Down here they fall off, but new ones replace them before the old ones fall off so we get a mess in the yard with nice green trees. The door is really straight when cold, but a friend of mine whos built a few told me it would bow out when hot, and boy did it. It pops up almost 3/16" of an inch in the middle on both sides when I got it up to 300. When it cooled down it set straighter than ever though. SO I got some toggle clamps to weld on to help hold the middle of the door down during smoking.

Does this count as a truckload? I'm just not physically able to split wood with a splitting maul anymore. I ended up cutting most of it with a chainsaw, and only split some of the laurel oak I had. Then again, live oak is harder to split than concrete. To those who haven't had the pleasure of trying to split it, your lucky. I REALLY need to find a log splitter, but I don't have the funds right now for a new one, so I'll keep watching craigslist and wait for something to turn up. And hopefully I don't have another guy do me like yesterday where he promised to hold it for me until I got there as I was driving 25 miles to come look at it, and he calls me when I was less than 2 miles from his house and said he just sold it. I was less than thrilled to say the least.

1219141707a_zps7d1df270.jpg

Well, I got her finished out and going to try her out for awhile before I make anymore changes. My thermometer is supposed to be in Monday, but other than that all I didn't do was add the baffle. I decided to hold off on that and I'm going to try adding on an extension to the chimney to bring it down furthur first and see what that does. I'll make it adjusteable so I can move it to allow all of the smoke to go in through the bottom, or part through the bottom and part through the joint. I also added in some toggle clamps to hold the center of the lid down because it was bowing out when hot, added on a hanger for my crescent wrench, and put a piece of tubing in to hold my prop rod for the 2nd shelf.

I did run into a problem with it today though. The 1st time I lit it off it took me over an hour to get it up to 300, and today it took me forever to get it up over 200. As soon as I opened the lid the firebox lit off(I could hear it flame up), and it got HOT in a hurry. So I took my mailbox off the top of the chimney to direct the smoke out, and she went to blazing. So I found an old section of 6" furnace vent pipe with an adjusteable 90 on it, and screwed it to my roof for now to get me by. I got 3 slabs of ribs, and 10 pounds of leg quarters on her now, so I had to come up with a quick fix. She's holding a nice 200-225 now with the vent barely cracked open.

1220141500_zps0cc6691e.jpg

I can't believe the difference taking that mailbox looking elbow off and going to the heater duct made. It now can hold any reasoneable temp no problem, heats up pretty quickly, and uses ALOT less wood. I used probably half the wood today VS what I did Wednesday, and held better more consistent temps. I didn't have to pack the firebox this time and keep the vent full open. I was cursing it thinking I needed a bigger chimney pipe for it, but it ended up being my own fault. Live and learn.

My impressions with cooking on it for the 1st real cook is it is an AWESOME cooker. It would have taken me 4-5 hours to cook ribs until they were done in my old BRINKMAN, but 2.5 hours in this one and they were already getting tender. I used VERY little wood after I fixxed the chimney problem, but I do have to remember to add another chunk every 30-45 minutes to keep the smoke going uniform(this is probably more to do with my wood not being really dry yet. It's 4 years old, and still damp after I cut it up). The water pan not being in direct contact with the heat worked out nicely. Even after 3.5 hours it still had a good deal of water left in the pan, but it stayed very humid inside the smoker. Only downside to this design isn't a deal breaker, but it does make it a bit uncomfortable. Having the firebox underneath the cooker sure helps to re-use the heat and keep it compact, but it does make it warm on my right leg when I go into the smoker. Alot of heat radiates off of the door when you have a good fire going in it. But all in all I'm VERY happy with my smoker, and like my unique design. Time to do some hams for Christmas.

Tonights grub.
10850302_830449467019991_6058698261299968116_n_zps5b229a89.jpg

Got the new thermometer in, and got Christmas hams going. My suspicion of my old thermometer was correct, at 225 now i have a nice gentle sizzle in the water pan instead of a boil, and i barely crack the vent to hold 225 now. will find out in a few hours the results.

Did another cook yesterday, and had some problems keeping the smoker up to temp. It was a cold(by Florida standard), rainy, windy day yesterday, and I went through quite a bit of wood, put out alot more smoke than I thought I should have, and had trouble keeping it up to the 225 mark. So I'm going to make a few small mods to the smoker to try and help it out. I did some testing on it while cooking, and found if I opened the door on the firebox, smoke and flames would come out, if I opened the lid most of the smoek and flames would go back up through the smoker, and the smoke would clear up and it would burn nice again. Close the firebox door and it would keep burning, but if I closed the lid, the fire would go out and the smoek would come back after about 30 seconds. So I'm thinking my 3.3" ID chimney pipe just isn't large enough to flow the heat out of the smoker, and am on the lookout for a piece of 1 inch bigger pipe to make my chimney out of. I can hold a good fire in the box with the lid open, but closed it won't hold heat. Also I'm going to add in an exhaust pipe to the roof of my overhang for the smoek to go out instead of my current 90.

Even with the troubles I ran into yesterday, I still managed to turn out some decent food. Cooked a whoel chicken, a pork loin, a slab of baby backs for prego, and a brisket.

baby backs as they went on.
10917399_847736555291282_7102359168076264202_n_zps71faef8a.jpg

The brisket before cooking, during, and done.
10346306_847563425308595_1764926195534662027_n_zps7f2dd1e5.jpg

10401876_847644568633814_2209247117524736960_n_zps20e50686.jpg

10429390_847781768620094_3372926219698575577_n_zps11d9b027.jpg

I got my 3.3" ID chiney pipe swapped out for a 4.3" ID pipe. I also added on an adjusteable damper to it. Seems to be doing a bit better now, and not choking back so easily. Another thing I found is my supposed top of the line thermometer is WAY off in temp. My 1st burn in after swapping the chimney pipe I got it up to 400 on the gauge, but I put my digital temp probe in it and found it was almost 500 inside at the thermometer. The thermometer stalls out in the 200-225 range and goes from reading higher than actual to lower than actual right in the sweet spot for smoking temps. When it's 75 degrees, it shows 100, but when it shows 300 it was actually 375. So I have to get another thermometer for it. After moving it back to my porch, I added in a roof top vent pipe setup so the chimney outlet now goes straight up instead of through a 90 and out into the wind. It's a VERY windy day today, and all the exhaust seems to be going straight up and out. Will find out here in a little while how it all does together as I'm doing my 1st cured meats. Got some whole pork loins, put in a brown sugar honey cure for 5 days at 40 degrees, and got em in the smoker now hoping to make some canadian bacon.

Heres the smoker on the porch, and you can see I have the 4.5" OD chimney pipe going tinto a 6" furnace pipe, and finally up into a 8" outlet with rain cap.
0216151414_zps7417f800.jpg

Also built me a wood rack so I can dry my smoking wood somewhere than my back porch taking up space.
0216151413_zps5b9560cc.jpg

And finally, anybody with a nice smoker needs a log splitter to split up your smokin wood so you can get em how you want em.
10418151_857382744326663_1781190499057321157_n_zps3040e66e.jpg

Something tells me a log splitter, although common in my parts, is kinda rare in your neighborhood. I see the green and shade and it looks very inviting.

Looks to me like someone is trying to get all the puzzle pieces together, but is forgetting the all important hammock...
Also for the wood pile (black widows, etc), get some praying mantis, but make sure they are native - don't want to have some of the Chinese ones that will eat all the humming birds and such.

Wood splitters are a bit rare down here to say the least. Picked this one up for $635 off of Ebay, and it is like new. A guy bought it, and passed away 6 months later. The guy I got it from said he bought his estate for his saws and stuff, and didn't want the log splitter. Real happy with it so far. You guys up north haven't had the joy of dealing with our southern live oak, but it is some TOUGH STUFF! Concrete is easier to split than live oak is, but this one pops through it. I will say having good DRY wood made a HUGE difference today smoking. And it also helps 3 of us went in on the splitter, so for $215 a piece roughly we all got all the split wood we can use.

Heres todays cook. I cured it for 5 days at 40 degrees in a brown sugar honey cure, and it came out pretty good.
0216151918_zps91a2d03a.jpg

Making me hungry, man and tonight is left over night...jealous sigh
I would say enjoy the fruits of your labor, but it's better than that-enjoy the meat of your labor.

Back