• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SM465 swap for "The Rust Bucket"

It LIVES!!!! *insert evil laugh* :D:D

Filled up the trans and t-case, put the rear driveshaft in, bolted the big ol direct drive starter back in, hooked up the batteries, and hit the key.

She fired right up. I ran it through the gears at idle on the jack stands. All the gears seem to work and i didn't hear any strange noises.

One thing i did notice is that the starter sounds different. It sounds "deeper" in tone. Coudl it just be because it's spinning the flywheel, which is solid, over the flex plate which isn't? The starter spins fine and doesn't grind or hang up so i'm guessing i do not have to shim it.

Possible problem...:mad2:

At first i didn't hear it at all, but after about 10-15 minutes test drive time I'm getting a rattle that's dead on with engine RPM. if i put my ear on the shift knob it sounds like when you use a long screwdriver to listen at the valve covers for valvetrain noise. If i step on the clutch the noise goes away instantly.

Also when i shut the truck off the rattling noise is there and can be heard right until the engine stops turning. The trans is full of Valvoline Conventional 80w-90 gear oil, and it shifts very well through all the gears. I can hear this in neutral and in gear if i put the t-case in neutral. While driving down the road the noise is drown out by the engine. I do not have a shift boot on the truck right now so it's just an open hole in the floor. I'm not sure if that amplifies the noise or not.

Could it be an input shaft bearing? i briefly checked the input shaft and turned it and it turned fine and i didn't fel any up down or side to side slop in it.

The previous owner said it never made any noise, save for when the throwout bearing failed. He removed this trans as he's putting a ford dana 60 up front, and swapped in a ford manual trans and t-case.

I'm scared to drive it after all the work i've put into it. :sad:

Did you put a new throwout bearing in when you installed it?

new throwout bearing, new flywheel, new clutch, new pressure plate, new pilot bushing.

I've have a few friends tell me it sounds like engine vibration and it's just amplified through the trans. Not sure how. Just came back from going around town and it drives fine. Had a mechanic friend drive it, he said nothing feels strange.

Had another buddy, who's also a mechanic tell me the noise does not sound like a throwout bearing or the springs in the clutch rattling. As he put it "It has it's own unique sound that i've never heard before, it has to be engine vibration."

Cool. Just drive it and see what happens. I ease into my vehicles after a modification. At first, I keep it local. Then short trips (maybe 20 miles one way). Next, maybe a couple hours away, etc. You'll be fine man. You've done your homework.

Cool. Just drive it and see what happens. I ease into my vehicles after a modification. At first, I keep it local. Then short trips (maybe 20 miles one way). Next, maybe a couple hours away, etc. You'll be fine man. You've done your homework.

Thanks man. :D

That's what i'm limiting it to right now. Around town and the next town over. Next i'll take it to work a few towns over and some short highway trips, etc etc. So far so good. It's kinda funny with the finish time on the project. It's snowing and raining at the same time right now. I'm glad i got the ol girl ready to go for winter. I think it's going to be a bad one this year.

how he clutch feel? I wondering if it's see a bit loose and your hearing the fork and the throwout rattling together. does it go away if you just touch the clutch a bit?

how he clutch feel? I wondering if it's see a bit loose and your hearing the fork and the throwout rattling together. does it go away if you just touch the clutch a bit?

Found out it doesn't totally go away. It get's much much quieter when i push the clutch all the way down. If i touch a prybar to the trans case(no shift boot on right now) and then put the handle to my ear i can still hear it that way. It sounds like engine vibration to be honest. It shifts fine and the clutch feels fine as well.

Ya its a diesel, if its not rattleing thats cause its not running

That's what i've boiled it down to. it doesn't help that there's no shift boot and just an open hole in the floor. I stuffed an old t-shirt around the shifter housing to keep my heat in last night, and the noise was maybe 1/2 the volume. with the shift boot it should quiet down more i'd think.

I wouldn't worry. Stick shifts don't have "little" issues. When they break, you'll know it.

I"m guessing kaboom? Still driving well. Rear main's a little leaky however. I'im kicking the hell out of myself, as i was right there. All i had to do was pull the oil pan and rear main cap and change it. Dammit all!!:mad2::mad2:

Not sure if they're setup similarly but in my '83 w/mechanical clutch linkage I've got a rattle and all of my parts are new EXCEPT for the fork & pivot. I have a tight clutch spring and my fork is tilted ever so slightly which creates the interesting rattle that goes away when I either hold up on the pedal or rest my foot on it.

the rear main can be changed if you have the 2 piece seal, without dropping the tranny. the shifter boot does cut down alot of noise for a piece of rubber. :thumbsup:

I forgot about that one! you can put spring between the 'z" bar and the clutch fork to keep them from rattling.

The original owner of my SM465 said the same thing. I"ll have to hunt down a good size spring. Something like a throttle return spring may not be strong enough.

I"m not sure which rear main seal this engine has. It's a goodwrench crate probably from the mid 90s or so. I did pull the CDR valve and it was full of jet black sludge inside. i guess after the truck sitting for 10 years and then running it is cleaning the engine out?. I could've sworn that i cleaned the CDR out. Guess not. I grabbed a spare one from my box-o-parts and threw it on. I"ll see if that helps. If not i may try what worked in the pickup. I switched the pickup to Amsoil full synthetic and the slight rear main leak, which left the back of the oil pan a little wet, just stopped. I know synthetic's have a seal sweller in them. Maybe that will help?

Back