• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SM465 swap for "The Rust Bucket"

hmmmm......

Strange....Seems like there's both a pilot bushing and a pilot bearing. The new clutch kit i bought came with a pilot bushing. Does it matter if i use the bushing instead of searching for a pilot bearing?

Also i need to find out the correct bolts to hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. I found out that i can get the flywheel to crank bolts from Dorman. Does anyone know what size, thread pitch, grade and length the pressure plate to flywheel bolts are??

Are the bolts that hold the flexplate to the crankshaft in an automatic the same bolts that would hold the flywheel to the crankshaft in a manual? I'm not sure. Something tells me they'd be a tad longer in the manual trans application, yet i can't find bolts for the flexplate to crank anywheres. I can however find bolts for the flywheel to crank. Flywheel to crank is Dorman part # 74070.

Hmmmm.......

Manual Flywheel bolts are longer. Pressure plate bolts IIRC are just 5/16 coarse but it's been awhile. Maybe 3/8. nothing special about those other than use lock washers and grde 8 bolts. Bushing or bearing. Personal preference. I always used the bushing simply becauase less likey to f' it up putting it in....:D

Manual Flywheel bolts are longer. Pressure plate bolts IIRC are just 5/16 coarse but it's been awhile. Maybe 3/8. nothing special about those other than use lock washers and grde 8 bolts. Bushing or bearing. Personal preference. I always used the bushing simply becauase less likey to f' it up putting it in....:D

Might have a set of flywheel bolts for tomorrow. :D

Pressure plate will have to wait until i get the flywheel tomorrow.

I'll use the bushing, because i have it. :p I'm guessing with an automatic trans there's nothing in the crank where the bushing would go?

Found a set of flywheel bolts.

The pressure plate to flywheel bolts are 3/8" coarse thread, like Kenny said. Thanks kenny :cheers2:

Just use grade 8 and make sure you use lockwashers. Flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts should be torqued to spec(I don't have the books anymore). Nothing in the crank. The TCC pilot goes where the pilot bushing goes. You will need a clutch alignment tool. I personally think a cut off input shaft works well. Then from there just wrestle the bitch in.

Just use grade 8 and make sure you use lockwashers. Flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts should be torqued to spec(I don't have the books anymore). Nothing in the crank. The TCC pilot goes where the pilot bushing goes. You will need a clutch alignment tool. I personally think a cut off input shaft works well. Then from there just wrestle the bitch in.

My clutch kit came with a clutch alignment tool but it's plastic(junk). The Specs for the 6.5 are in the faqs here. I"m guessing the torque specs will be the same for the 6.2?

i'm guessing just tap the pilot bushing into place with a deadblow hammer?

Yep. I would think the 6.5 specs would be good. I think I used to use and extension with a socket to pound it in. Just make sure it's straight and don't peen over the hole in the center.

700R4 is out. Just have to get it out from under the truck. Hopefully can at least have the SM465 in today. Got plenty of time this week, as work decided that "were are just going to give 2 people 0 hours this week" Wow....lucky me....:pissed::prrr::incazzato:

I wish you lived closer. I'd put you to work.

I'd gladly take the work. I may be out of work, but i do have the blazer to keep me busy. At least i have it to keep me busy for now. In the end it'll be the most reliable truck ever, because i'll have fixed anything and everything with all my spare time.

Arent you both in CT? Isnt that state like 50 miles long?:D

Unfortunately Aces is right on the MA border, and i'm closer to NY. it's 100+ or so miles i can't afford right now with being out of work this week.

Trans is in. God that things is friggin heavy. :eek:

Just have to install the t-case, pedal assembly, and driveshafts this week.

Found out the shifter has a boat-load of slop in it. I can see how widened the hole is compared to the pin that's in it. Any fix for this?

Back