• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SM465 swap for "The Rust Bucket"

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
I"m tired of messing with the 700R4 and worrying if it'll last me through the winter or not. On top of that i hate auto transmissons of any kind. I found a guy in MA selling an SM465, NP208, clutch pedal assembly, driveshafts, bellhousing, and i'm sure there's more out of an 88 K-5 for $350. So with fuel up and back(probably a tank so roughly $100) and a new flywheel and clutch kit(roughly $150 each) i'm looking at roughly $700-800 bucks or so. I can live with that if i don't have to worry about the 700R4 possibly stranding me in the winter in the middle of nowhere.

His truck had a 305/350 in it however. The flywheel that comes with all this stuff is for a 305/350. i'm guessing that by what i've looked up the flywheel is different for the 6.2.

Is anything different transmission wise, bellhousing bolt pattern, etc between the gas and diesel engines? i think i'll have to move the trans crossmember from its stock location in between the 700R4 and the T-case but that doesn't sound like a major issue.

Anyone out there that's done this swap? Also does anyone have a photo of a truck with the SM465 NP208 combo? I"m curious if the t-case floor shifter goes in the same location for sm465 and 700R4. Here's a photo of the trans tunnel in the blazer. It has the cutout for the SM465 it looks like.

attachment.php

Anyone need a 700R4/NP208? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Ahhh You have come to the right place. Yes you can cut the pan. I'll go one better. The floor pan in a stick shift equipped truck is removable. If you cut he floor of the blazer around that big outline you can use the pan from the stick truck. also you will need to remove the steering column to swap the pedal assby. That to me is the hardest part of the job. There should be IIRC holes in the frame for the z bar. Your vintage has clutch linkage, not hydrualic. Flywheel is different. Now the gearing in that tranny might be kinda weird for a diesel. If it's a granny gear tranny it may be akwardly geared (for lack of better term). for the 800$ you are estimating you could probably drop it at a tranny shop and have the 700r4 done. Unless you are going to beat the balls ot of it the 700s are not all that bad. Before I went to a stick I'd probably do a TH400 swap. They are around. Anybody parting out a CUCV might have one. That would be better than a stick IMHO.

Come to think of it if I were you, I'd be looking for a junk CUCV to buy. Could steal the TH400 setup and the 1 ton diffs and lose those junk 1/2 station wagon brake, lose the wheel and axles while coming home drunk at 4am rear....:D You'd be surprised how far you can drive draggin it home on the backing plate in 4wd when it's 4am and your piss drunk.....:devil:

There is a guy on CL selling CUCV parts. Try typing 6.2 diesel in the mass craiglist. I just bought the blackout light switches from him.

That's the thing Kenny. i do plan to beat the balls off this truck. that and i don't like autos to begin with. the 700R4 has left a bad taste in my mouth, and i feel as though i can't trust it.

Interesting that i'd have to drop the steering column. This guy said the setup he's got is hydraulic and that all the hydraulics have been recently replaced. Will i have an issue installing the hydraulic style setup other than having to cut the hole for the master cylinder?

Could steal the TH400 setup and the 1 ton diffs and lose those junk 1/2 station wagon brake, lose the wheel and axles while coming home drunk at 4am rear....:D You'd be surprised how far you can drive draggin it home on the backing plate in 4wd when it's 4am and your piss drunk.....:devil:

Now that's funny. ):h

Did the axle just let go randomly or did you have bigger tires on it or what?

Nothing is the same. Your vintage has linkage.

damn. this setup all came out of an 88 K-5. the seller said it's hydraulic. will it swap in? Can i just drill the holes i need for the master cylinder since this setup i'm buying is supposed to be hydraulic? Or would i have to hunt down all the mechanical linkage stuff?

I think the seller is mistaken. If it's a K5 it should be linkage as far as I know. AFAIK they did not switch to hydraulic until new bodystyle but I ccould be wrong because I have never owned anything newer than 85 with a stick. Go check it out. I'm curious now. It could influence my decision on the CUCV although given wifey has zero chance of ever learning to drive a stick probably keep the auto. Now an 88 k1500 is a whole nuther animal. Come to think of it I don't recall ever seeing a stick behind a 6.2 in old bodystyle that I can rememeber.

1985 was the first year for a hydraulic clutch...according to a GM Electronic Parts Catalog, :D.

1985-1986 are in a range together, then 87-91 are in another for the V-series vehicles. I didn't compare the part numbers to see if anything was different.

IIRC the mechanical setup was only around from 82-84. after that they went hydraulic. the flywheels are different. the other thing that is slightly different is the bellhousing. the diesel ones have a larger opening for the starter. you may have the marks on the firewall for where the master goes.

IIRC the mechanical setup was only around from 82-84. after that they went hydraulic. the flywheels are different. the other thing that is slightly different is the bellhousing. the diesel ones have a larger opening for the starter. you may have the marks on the firewall for where the master goes.

uh oh.....The bellhousing that this guy has came from a 305/350. How different are we talking? i've got a 6.5 gear reduction starter here that i can use, but i don't think the size of the nose area of the starter is any smaller, but i haven't confirmed with measurements.

All these parts are off an 88 K-5 as well. possible uh oh again.....?

I didnt' see any marks on the firewall. Exactly where does it mount? i know in your sig you swapped in an SM465 in favor of the 4L80E. Do you have a photo of where your master cylinder is mounted or is your year going to be different being a 91?

I'll see what I can do about pics/measurements. I'm running the mechanical cluch but I've got the marks on the firewall for where it would have been. I'm not sure how much difference there is in the bellhousing. Supposedly you can shave the starter opening to make it fit right. I got lucky with mine. you can just change the bellhousing itself, worse comes to worse. the bolt pattern is still the same either way.

well I learned something. I have never seen a hyd setup. That is good to know. I would think bellhousing would be the same since auto tranny bellhousings are the same. Starter bolts to the block anyway. But again if this is a granny gear 4sp from a gasser you may not like the gearing. 1st may be too low and 2nd too high. I'm not sure. I know we used a gasser tranny on a 6.9 ford and it sucked to drive. It was just wrong.

I thought his was an '85. really it's a 3 speed with low. You start with 1st not low for normal driving. low is called granny gear for a reason. top speed is mine is about 8mph with the 4.10's. there's no differnce between the gasser or diesel version in the tranny itself, just the bellhousing.

my truck's an 85 K-5. the truck all these parts came from an 88 K-5 w/ a 305 or 350 i can't remember which. the wheelbase is the same at 106.5" if that matters any.

Last edited:
Back