• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Slow bleed lifters

There is a lot to consider when talking about a "balanced engine", sure the rotating weight needs to be very close, but cylinder pressures need to be balanced as well. If the stock lifters leak down at different pressures in psi from springs, the lift will be different for any given cylinder as well. Sure other things like injectors, what shape the IP is in, static IP timing along with IP advance, stamped rockers, uneven pushrod length, and so on..

The bean counters cut a lot of corners, so sad...

Is their a perfect motor, well I can think of a few that may be close, all I'm doing is making every effort with this build, I said a few years ago my plan was to do all I knew about to bring my past into the p400, we will see how it turns out... 🤞

Thanks a lot guys, you got me thinking. I have a loudish tick in my engine (one cylinder) under light throttle when the engine is cooler (not having been run a long time or towing). I don't hear it when it's fully warmed up. Injectors have about 6k on them. Could it be a bad lifter bleeding down?
Thinking always costs me money!

Good info Chris

Well consider the 7.3 powerstroke.... do they make the same racket ?

Of course not! ;)

The 6.5 is IDI with single shot injectors driven by an injection pump.

The 7.3 PowerStroke is DI. Early years (aka OBS - old body style) mostly have single shot injectors (Some years with California builds got split shot), and 99+ they have split shot. The 7.3 PowerStroke does not have an IP; it is a HEUI system.

When folks talk about the 7.3 PS, they commonly forget (or did not know) that the OBS had the PS motor for ~3-1/2 years. Prior to the 7.3 PS, there was a 7.3 IDI in the OBS which is a completely different animal than the 7.3 PS. IIRC, the only things that the PS and IDI 7.3 shared was displacement size, diesel fuel, and the fan clutch.

Although, I suspect that Chris is on to something in terms of the internals making a lot of racket. The 7.3 IDI is the loudest of the bunch, next least noisy is the PS with single shot injectors, and the least noisy of the 7.3 series is the PS with split shot injectors. I did get to hear a 7.3 IDI running while I still had the Burb and was jealous of how much less noise it made compared to the 6.5.

After going from a GM 6.5 block to the P-400, I noticed a slight noise drop. The only real difference between the two was extra mass of the girdle. So perhaps the extra mass of the 7.3 is helping make it less noisy than the 6.5 as well. Feeding into the mass-to noise theory is the age comparable Cummins as that series of motors wins the noise contest without question. :D

Your right Jay, and my bad for referring to the p/s.... I call them all p/s, when I had the IDI's in mind, my thinking is around the DB pumps used in both chevy & ford... so a little miss leading on my part... and yes not truly comparing apples to apples but as close as I can..

I do know the ford folks are a LOT more willing to test new things and it shows in the aftermarket place, cams, turbos, lifters, to name a few, the list is long, it frustrates me to see 6.x owners concentrate on mere bolt on items and not invest in the real bones of the motor...

I think the 6.5 world doesn’t as much because of broken blocks and cranks so much more often. If they just learn the balancer is the weak point, then the ridiculous out of balance factory engine lasts so much longer. The ford blocks aren’t known to fail as easy so the cost seems to be a permanent spend vs how long will this particular 6.5 last.

That and the 6.9/7.3 group has almost always chased power and many of the 6.5 owners focus on low cost of ownership, including mpg where 6.5 shines. So putting in little cash adds into the low cost of ownership theory- that is unless you are going to run it over 300,000 miles.

Great. I JUST put my cam in. Im kind of hoping these lifters dont do anything useful, so I dont have to tear it apart again! ;) But im sub’d for results.

Back