• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Silverado 1994 5.0 4x2 Automatic Transmission Maintenance

Rene Zamorano

Reaction score
Hi there,
It would be great to count on your experience regarding Automatic Transmission.

Year: 1994
Miles: 90.000

There´s no problem with it, just want to take good care of it.

It´s OK anly change fluid and filter?
How do I know the transmission model so I can buy the parts?

Thanks

Did you just buy the truck? If so, Do you have records of the maintenence and repairs done by the previous owner?

In my experience, automatic transmissions that have went over 75,000 miles without a filter and fluid change last longer by not adding new fluid. What happens is the new fluids have detergent in them that causes the old material and debris to wash out to the pan. Then that material pluge the screen and ruins the transmission.

If you do start replacing the filter and fluid, I suggest getting it flushed and replace the filter 2 times at 2500 mile interval, then regular drain and filter 4 times at 5,000 mile intervals. Then start servicing again nomal intervals.

I have seen many transmissions run 250,000 miles with no services done, as long as the truck is not towing heavy weight.

Thanks Will,

I don't have any record, but so far it Works good, the only time when I feel something is when I stop the truck fast. I already change the transmission support. Kind it happen when pass from 4th to 1th at once because when I stop it in a long distance allowing the transmission to shift from 4th to 1th passing 3th and 2d nothing happen.

Why do you think this could be?

Can you make a video of it while you drive so we can see it?

There are a bunch of guys on here better with trans than me btw.

There,s a problem with my Differential Pinion Bearing. It's not a problem yet, but in time it will be.
I've been looking for the parts, but according to my VIN N° and the service part label it should be a GU6 drivetrain, the issue is that those came in 9,5 and 8,5. Does anyone know how to find the correct one without the sample?

I don't want to pull appart anything not been sure about it because here (Chile) is really hard to find parts...

Thanks

The transmission should be a 4L60E, if it built to American specs.
It is kind of tough measuring the ring gear ith te cover removed from the differential, but, You should be able to get it close enough.

Count the bolts in the differential cover. If it has 10 bolts it is an 8.5", if it has 14 bolts it will be a 9.5". The 9.5" semi floating 14 bolt only came in 1500's ordered with the camper package. Very few gas powered 1500's got the 9.5", and I can't say I've ever seen one in a 5.0l truck, only ones with a 5.7l or diesel.

And remember the 454SS? Oh what a powerhouse. Lol (i think they were the 9.5/14 been a while)
Completely forgot about that one, but yes, they were a 5 lug 9.5" 14bolt semi floater. The rarest of the rare as GM did not make many 9.5" 14 bolts with the 5 lug wheel pattern.

Back