• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shocks Opinions

Yellow Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks

• Leave Yellow

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Repaint Black

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
I just happen to have a set of (IIRC) 5100? Bilstein nickel shocks 0-2" just sitting in my shed :rolleyes5:that I took off my truck to put the lift on. They were on there less than 6 months. Before I put the lift, I had swapped keys in the front and added 2" blocks in the back running 33" tires. I tried several shocks to stop the pogo effect. I put shock spacers on when I swapped the keys. Here is just my experience/opinion on what I tried.

Stock shocks:rof:....I won't even bother wasting internet ink to type what I think of them....they should be replaced as soon as you get the truck home.

First the rancho rs 9000 adjustables...one broke:WTF: in less than 9 months...never could tell a diff in the different settings....all felt the same...shitty....I explained till I was blue that my truck was not stock, they insisted I had the right set....still have the set rusting in my back yard...never sent them back. Screw rancho, they are not what they used to be. I had several sets on different trucks and the 9000's were a disappointment. Their customer support sucks!

Monroe magnums, Found a buy 3 get 1 free sale, free shipping, good for mostly street driving with occasional off roading...smooth ride, stable pulling the TT, and not bad on rough gravel roads but a little too much of a car like ride for me. Kept them 4 months. Good shock for a concrete queen:hihi:.

Bilsteins...Nick talked me into ordering a set after I called and asked his advice...at the time I was debating putting a lift due to losing the ability to pull a fiver. The ride was a bit more pronounced over the others but I felt as if I had better control...not soft, but not overly stiff either. Pulling the 38' TT was where the noticeable improvement came from...the truck felt extremely stable. Offroad...the best shock I have had on a truck on a wash board gravel road...I could literally drive 70 mph (insert legal disclaimer here) to my camp and the truck would not want to wander all over the road and the ass end stayed in line with the front. I miss those shocks.

My lift came with some soft shocks for street smoothness. Granted, the ride now is much better than it was off the show room floor, it just isn't for me. Rides like an old cadillac...literally floats on the highway and I hate it. My GF loves the way it rides....that statement right there warrants a new set of bilsteins:hihi:. I am patiently waiting for Nick to have a buy 3 get 1 free sale ;) :hello:so I can order a set for my current setup.

If you are interested, I could make a fellow DTR;)..er um..truck stop:rolleyes5: member a deal. Not sure what it would cost to ship them...of course you could come to the spring GTG and just pick them up;).

Good descriptions on the ride and handling characteristics. That is how I would describe my Bilsteins. Much better than stock, and very stable.

I put a set of Edelbrock IAS shocks on my 06 and HATED them. First, they were expensive for what they were and second, they're designed to give a smooth and cushy ride on the highway but firm up on rougher roads. If you get into a patch of concrete highway where the truck starts that rythmic bouncing... oh man. It's like they allow the bouncing and then all of a sudden become firm again which lifts you out of the seat.

I don't have 'em yet. Vincent sent them back to Bilstein for new bushings and he doesn't have them back yet.

I just ordered the gas magnums to try on my burb. I am a concrete queer I guess! :)

The price point got me, as I am doing alot of other upgrades and I do not tow much and mainly just do daily driving on the road. I am hoping to get a year or two out of these and then reevaluate.

Oh... $115 shipped from rockauto gives me clams for other stuff.

As it turns out I never got the Bilsteins.
I'm installing Monroe Gas Magnums.
They are Yellow.
Put them on as is?
Paint Black?
Keep in mind that they have the ties on them to keep them collapsed. I'd have to cut those off before install and paint. I usually like to leave those on while I mount the bottom.

I have been pleased with the ride from the gas magnums. I would love to compare to the reflex or the bilsteins, so if anyone wants to send me a set, I will gladly post a comparison. :)

Back