• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shocks Opinions

Yellow Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks

• Leave Yellow

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Repaint Black

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on REASONABLY priced shocks. I don't do any kind of real off-roading and almost all highway with occasional heavy tow at 25 miles or so total between trips. I certainly don't need some expensive stuff. Front is cranked with spacers on top of the shocks so stock length is fine. Stock rears as well.

Shock Spacer.jpg

Pretty aggressive looking tread there Mike, with all the snow you got I'm sure it's needed.

I used to run Bilsteins...big improvement in ride quality over the stockers...

I switched to Rancho RS9000 adjustables specifically for the adjustability for drag racing purposes...they are pricey though...

Steve(dura-ration)got my Bilstiens and thought they were too firm...he has some type of Monroe shocks on there now and loves the ride...maybe his sig has the specs?

or if you want Bilsteins, PM NorCalNick for member pricing...

I cheaped out and went with GABRIELS, and it was not worth it. I had to replace them when I did the DMAX swap which was only 1 year and about 20K miles of driving on them. Now a year and a half later with about 16K on em I need to change them again. I would spring for some good ones and do it once. The cheap ones may come with a lifetime warranty, but I don't like having to use it every 2 years.

Bilsteins aren't all that expensive. I've run them on 2 different trucks and really enjoyed the ride quality afterwards. You'd be amazed at how shitty the stock shocks really are.

I have Bilsteins and think the ride got worse. I'm going to keep running them for a while as the Sulastic's helped smooth out the ride.

Steve(dura-ration)got my Bilstiens and thought they were too firm...he has some type of Monroe shocks on there now and loves the ride...maybe his sig has the specs?

Steve is running Monroe gas magnums from Rock Auto. I asked him in a PM a couple of days ago because I remembered there was a lengthy thread about shocks some time ago and he was pretty pleased with his.

OEM GM maybe? Check Rockauto.

I can't really complain about the stockers since I'm still on them at 150k+:eek:

Sent your PM back btfarm. Many people have mixed reviews on Bilsteins as they are offered or sold in many lengths and valving that will change the end results based on what you have, you say stock but your not stock when you have larger than stock tires (keep that in mind). I have not found another shock that will out preform on a wider base of truck users than Bilsteins so I favor Bilsteins alot when customers ask for the best results out of there purchase.

Mike,

All four shocks on the Tahoe are the Monroe gas magnums from Rock Auto. The ride is firm but very smooth. I like em they are great for the cost IMO. If you decide to go this route, don't forget to use the rockauto discount code when ordering listed in the deal finder section.

I think you will be very pleased based on what you are after.

Shoot me a PM if ya have any questions & let me know when you are gonna install em, would like to offer my services & help ya out...

Don't knock it till you've tried it. :thumbsup: Good stuff!
Of that I have no doubt and I've had all of 'em before. Just that right now I have some 'issues' that don't allow good stuff. Much to my dismay!

Back