• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SES, loss of power, black smoke

wow! Well, just trust is the Big Man's plan. Every time something like that happened to me, it turn out way better than I hoped for down the road.

Man plans and God laughs . . .

In terms of the house repairs, am a little rusty in tax code, but check with a tax prep professional as the expenses may increase the home's basis (effecive purchase price). If so, this is not a benefit today, but is an eventual benefit when y'all sell the house.

Man plans and God laughs . . .

In terms of the house repairs, am a little rusty in tax code, but check with a tax prep professional as the expenses may increase the home's basis (effecive purchase price). If so, this is not a benefit today, but is an eventual benefit when y'all sell the house.

This is stuff we should have been doing all along but which got neglected. For example, a couple of exterior door frames will need to be replaced due to rot at the bottoms because I didn't keep up on the exterior painting the way I should have. Same with the landscaping that's all getting ripped out and starting over fresh. (I have two black "death" thumbs when it comes to gardening) We should have had a landscape company maintaining it, but didn't, so it's gotten out of hand and overgrown. We're having it all ripped out and low maintenance plants put back in.

Well, when it rains, it pours. It seems the move to Alaska is off and a lot of things just came to a screeching halt today. My orthopedic surgeon wants to do immediate surgery to fix some old soft tissue injuries in my knees so I can then do about a year of physical therapy, then do two full knee replacements, then more physical therapy. He's ruled out me doing any extended drives, such as to Alaska, not if I want to keep walking. So, the wife bailed on the job, we're paying back the big chunk of the loan that didn't get used, and working on getting the house setup to make my recovery easier.

Get a second opinion. Frankly waiting on knee replacements for any reason is a waste of your time, unneeded suffering, and extreme pain for you. Watched my dad go through the waiting and again with feeling: find a better Dr., get the replacements done now, and then recover. Further do both at the same time because after the pain of the first one you will NOT want to do the second one. Dad did both and went from more or less a wheelchair prior to the replacements to walking around after recovery.

Everything happens for a reason. If you just look for the silver lining in the cloud you will find it. Good luck to you!

Get a second opinion. Frankly waiting on knee replacements for any reason is a waste of your time, unneeded suffering, and extreme pain for you. Watched my dad go through the waiting and again with feeling: find a better Dr., get the replacements done now, and then recover. Further do both at the same time because after the pain of the first one you will NOT want to do the second one. Dad did both and went from more or less a wheelchair prior to the replacements to walking around after recovery.
I wasn't aware that you were an orthopedic surgeon. So, in your professional opinion there's no need at all to repair and rebuild the destroyed muscles and tendons that would be required to support and stabilize the replacements, and without which a replacement really can't be done? Interesting! Have you published your findings?

wire you turbo waste gate shut and take it for a drive.......just don't hammer on it.......if it runs good it's in the vac/ boost control solenoid trouble
I locked my wastgate shut and went towing with my truck. I left it that way for 3 years and the engine still runs. Not saying I recommend it but, it won't hurt it.LOL
Alright, all BS aside you can take a test light and check for a pulse signal at the vacuum control solenoid. If you have a pulse that is good. Next take a vacuum gauge and tie into the plumbing at the solenoid. One side should be continuous vacuum the other pulsed vacuum. If you have no vacuum the plumbing is rotted out likely behind the alternator. I like to replace this system with brake line and minimize the rubber as best I can for better reliability. Now if you have no pulse on the test light at the solenoid the connector sometimes craps out or occasionally a wire breaks in the harness. Don't be afraid to dig in there. This will help trouble shoot the waste gate side of the turbo. I hope this helps.

I wasn't aware that you were an orthopedic surgeon. So, in your professional opinion there's no need at all to repair and rebuild the destroyed muscles and tendons that would be required to support and stabilize the replacements, and without which a replacement really can't be done? Interesting! Have you published your findings?

They are going to tear those muscles and tendons up things going in to do the knees anyway and they have to recover after the surgery... So to me that appears to a waste, but, I have no idea your exact medical issues. However from the perspective of watching an idiot Dr. and insurance company making my dad suffer for years with bad knees I am suggesting a second opinion if you don't already have one. We learned a long time ago to seek out the best Dr's and not deal with the VA (or other local small town smucks/quacks) exclusively. Dad's one regret is waiting and going through similar BS before doing his knees.

And I had a front row seat watching him suffer. So kindly take it from that perspective.

YMMV.

I locked my wastgate shut and went towing with my truck. I left it that way for 3 years and the engine still runs. Not saying I recommend it but, it won't hurt it.LOL
Alright, all BS aside you can take a test light and check for a pulse signal at the vacuum control solenoid. If you have a pulse that is good. Next take a vacuum gauge and tie into the plumbing at the solenoid. One side should be continuous vacuum the other pulsed vacuum. If you have no vacuum the plumbing is rotted out likely behind the alternator. I like to replace this system with brake line and minimize the rubber as best I can for better reliability. Now if you have no pulse on the test light at the solenoid the connector sometimes craps out or occasionally a wire breaks in the harness. Don't be afraid to dig in there. This will help trouble shoot the waste gate side of the turbo. I hope this helps.

Wiring the WG shut: Overspeed turbo and hope it doesn't grenade , waste fuel, extreme EGT, extreme IAT, and on computer controlled engines it cuts fuel/power to protect the engine.

Wiring the WG shut: Overspeed turbo and hope it doesn't grenade , waste fuel, extreme EGT, extreme IAT, and on computer controlled engines it cuts fuel/power to protect the engine.
matter of fact it only cuts out or derates the motor if boost pressure is over 10psi for more than 15 seconds 3 times consecutively. I have it timed.LMAO

We learned a long time ago to seek out the best Dr's and not deal with the VA (or other local small town smucks/quacks) exclusively.

My surgeon is currently considered to be one of the top ten in the world for this kind of surgery, and has an outstanding reputation with every OR nurse I've spoken with who have worked with him (and I know an awful lot of nurses after 14 years as an EMT). Definitely not a "small town schmuck". As for the VA, when I volunteered I was told by older vets in my family that there's two things you never trust, your recruiter and the VA. They were spot on about the recruiter and that's good enough for me. I've never had anything to do with the VA, and never will.

(I've also seen firsthand what a living hell VA medical care has made of the lives of two good friends, both disabled vets.)

Good to hear you've got ahold of a good surgeon out of the almost 20 thousand out there.

Unfriggin real that we all know someone toasted by the VA. It's something I just don't get. PRIORITIES NEED FIXED! I get that homeless and un/underemployed people need more than an ER room option. The system is in need of fixin. But man, the gubmint should take care of the people who there were already supposed to be first, get them the best care in the world. Then work on the rest. Sorry side track rant done.

You know why Obama drove past the Phoenix VA twice in one day right?

The VA called to cancel his first appointment to speak there.

His staff called and made another appointment.

And again when the Presidential Motorcade was just a block away the VA following standard procedure called again and cancelled Obama's appointment...

Glad you have a decent Dr. on your side.

I don't know of any top notch ortho doc that would do both knees at the same time unless it was a matter of life or death. As to soft tissue damage, I know where you're at, and it aint fun. I've got soft tissue damage in my hip, and unfortunately mine isn't repairable. I hope for the best for you because I know first hand that muscle and tissue damage can hurt more than bone pain, and takes alot longer time to heal.

I don't know of any top notch ortho doc that would do both knees at the same time unless it was a matter of life or death. As to soft tissue damage, I know where you're at, and it aint fun. I've got soft tissue damage in my hip, and unfortunately mine isn't repairable. I hope for the best for you because I know first hand that muscle and tissue damage can hurt more than bone pain, and takes alot longer time to heal.
The current plan is for him to repair as much soft tissue damage as possible in my left knee, then 6 months to a year of physical therapy to strengthen it, then a full replacement on it, then the usual PT after, then replace the right after the left is healed enough to function. Right now the left won't support me, hell, it can't support me because the patellar tendon is ruptured and the quad is barely attached by a strand of very scarred ligament that's also halfway torn through, the result of a construction accident 8 years ago. It never got fixed because the job was a favor to a friend and I didn't have my usual insurance on it. On top of that damage, both knees and both hips have bone-on-bone arthritis, and have had for the past 5 years or so. It's only now, after I've been on my wife's insurance for the required amount of time, that I can get it all worked on.

My ortho guy is still amazed that I can even walk.

I can only imagine what that is like. Mine is mostly scar tissue from bone spurs, and it's bad enough.

My Dad just got both his knees taken care of at the same time last year I think. As I recall the doctor told him he needed both done and when did he want to schedule the two procedures. My dad said how about now? The Doctor looked at my dad like he was crazy. Doc says, most people do one then the other and leave plenty of time between the two. My Dad say, F that lets just get it over with.ROLMAO.
I hope you got a laugh out of that.

Back