• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Sequential turbos... do-able?

The sequential turbos would work well I think.

The point being only one would actually be boosting at any given time. The wastegate of the small turbo would be completely closed at first so it all goes through the compressor, and the second is fully open so it is not boosting or creating backpressure. Then they overlap some, but the small one goes to full open wastegate so its not boosting at all and only the larger is.

The ATT flows pretty well at low RPMs, so it could work well with a GM4/5 especially with the vacuum system that can control it as desired (custom tune). The mechanical actuator would not fully open the small turbo so it would continue to boost, and to be as good as it can I would want the GM4/5 boosting as much as it can off the line, not just 5psi, then the vacuum system cut it out at like 2000RPM. A wastegate could be installed for the ATT.

There is no reason this wouldnt work on the 6.5, it wouldnt cause additional backpressure or EGTs or higher IATs when the turbos are controlled correctly.

I think sequential turbos would be cool.

I would like to see a Variable Geometry Turbocharger for our trucks. You could use a newer model duramax(I think) or a cummins turbo that already has it. The hard part would be to get a program to control it.

One thing I like about VGT's is it maxes out the boost quickly and holds it the best it can.

They do not make a universal self controlling VGT turbo. Somebody would have to make one.

Hypermax made an inline pump(P7100 style just with 8 ports instead of 6) for the 7.3 powerstroke for people into serious sled pulling.

Its a great idea indeed for sequential turbos and I like the idea of something small like a gm-4 feeding the ATT, but I'll agree with everybody that we NEED more fuel.

The only two options I see feasable for this is we start from scratch like Dennis and Tim did, only this time for fuel, or we modify an existing setup. I think theres alot more potential to be gained from developing a modified twin DB2 setup than going for a specially built Inline pump. The biggest thing I see here aside from working out the bugs and making this into a mass produced(sortof) product is inding someone who would be willing to invest in such a project...

Here is Hypermax's inline pump setup for the powerstrokes:
http://www.gohypermax.com/Related.aspx?id=b14a7197-2fdf-4071-8187-2115bbd215a1

If we could get something like that made, we could be in buisness. But then we come across the issue of a block and heads holding that level of available fuel flow. You know guys... if we keep this going as far as we are, the Dieseltowingresource/truck stop could very well redesign the entire 6.5L diesel... Could be interesting...

The 7.3 has a firing order of: 1-2-7-3-4-5-6-8
The 6.5 has a firing order of: 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3

If we could find a way to get that Hypermax inline pump modified to our firing order... there could be alot of potential out of this...

firing order shouldn't be a problem just run lines to the appropriate cylinder. Pump doesn't know which cylinder it's feeding

Getting the injection pump to fit (it's absolutely massive) and getting the firing order right is the easy part. The hard part is getting the engine to survive, remember the stock pistons are cast :eek: and that's not the worst part.

Getting something like that made as a bolt-on is something I would do, but there isn't any market for it, as not many people would want to spend about $6000 to just get a pump on their engine, plus the cost of the more expensive upgrades that would be mandatory.

Getting the injection pump to fit (it's absolutely massive) and getting the firing order right is the easy part. The hard part is getting the engine to survive, remember the stock pistons are cast :eek: and that's not the worst part.

Getting something like that made as a bolt-on is something I would do, but there isn't any market for it, as not many people would want to spend about $6000 to just get a pump on their engine, plus the cost of the more expensive upgrades that would be mandatory.

But given where this thread has gone I don't think stock pistons would even be an option. I believe the Original poster stated he might use 18:1 pistons? Not sure but are they cast as well? If your in as far as a custom fueling system, your looking at alot of custom parts right there as is.
The pump is absolutly massive I'll agree, and it would take alot of custom fabricating to be able to get that thing in there. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that our best bet in this case is using a dual db2 setup like that tractor has, while running some kind of sequential turbocharger setup to (like stated), that will benefit both low and high RPM's

What about turbo compounding(is that the name)? Like some of the Detroits use? Essentially its an additional "compressor housing" post turbocharger that is in contact with the flywheel. As exhaust gasses hit the compressor wheel it provides additional power to the flywheel resulting in a slight, but noticable increase in power. I believe Detroit Diesel said it adds another 50hp? What about something like that? Its power that is made AT the flywheel not in the engine. No additional strain on the heads, block, pistons... yada yada. You get where I'm coming from?

I've got a 8V92T right in front of me and I have no idea what on earth you are talking about. It has a roots blower in the Vee that is fed by a giant turbo suspended over the engine.

18:1 pistons are also cast as far as I know. They would not hold up to the fueling that pump would put out, unless you turn it way down. The bottom end and block is going to be the limiting factor very quickly. The pump and associated parts to make it run doesn't require a lot of special parts. You can modify a stock gear to run the pump, and you can modify the timing cover to hold the pump. You will need a different intake manifold obviously :)

I believe one of the hard parts of using twin pumps is that they are not meant to carry a side load on them. The other guy on DP who is doing twin pumps was running into some problems with that, I'm not sure if he has that figured out yet or not. A gear setup would eliminate the side loads, so it could be as durable as a stock single pump though.

I've got a 8V92T right in front of me and I have no idea what on earth you are talking about. It has a roots blower in the Vee that is fed by a giant turbo suspended over the engine.

I believe he means one of Detroit's new designs. Think it's the DD16. They've added an axial turbine (connected mechanically directly to the flywheel) onto the engine's turbocharger exh outlet. Looks like the idea is to extract more of the heat energy still left in the exhaust stream & mechanically add that axial turbine's power output back directly to the flywheel.

I believe he means one of Detroit's new designs. Think it's the DD16. They've added an axial turbine (connected mechanically directly to the flywheel) onto the engine's turbocharger exh outlet. Looks like the idea is to extract more of the heat energy still left in the exhaust stream & mechanically add that axial turbine's power output back directly to the flywheel.

Its actually the DD15, but you get the idea. Heres the video where I heard about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ekDC739LE

Skip to 3:10 to get directly to the turbo compounding system(or watch the whole thing, video's like these are always interesting:smile5:

i think once you hit 350 hp parts are going to start breaking left and right. what about a DB4 or a p pump that doesnt flow a extreme amount of fuel.

Back