• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Searching for the THEFERMANATOR for help with service for my 6.2 engine.

Madrugador

Reaction score
Hi THEFERMANTOR,

I am in the south florida area and am having no luck in finding a good 6.2/6.5L diesel mechanic. I was told by SCTRAILRIDER that you are in the Tampa area and if so, I would like to bring my vehicle there for service. The service I would need is for the bigger things as for the smaller stuff can be handled by the local mechanics, "I think!". I would stay in a hotel in the area for a day or two until the work is completed.

I installed a 6.2L diesel into a Land Rover Defender 90 which previously had a 4.0L gas engine. I did it because LR engines are notoriously unreliable, the engine was a relatively new engine. The 6.2 that I replaced it with was a new rebuilt from the Diesel Depot, which I don't think is still in business. Now this project started in 2006, I acquired the vehicle in 2005 and to this day the vehicle have lived in mechanic shops 80% of the time because of experimentation and it was considered a side job. I think that I am on the tail end of this journey.

The problem that I am having now is that when the rpms gets between 1500 and 2000 the vehicle bucks like it is not getting a steady flow of gas, but what my mechanics discovered is that it was a problem of the injection pump gear vibrating and how the injection pump was secured. I don't completely understand the situation, but when the engine and injection pump was installed it should have been secured by three bolts but only one bolt was installed, so like an out of balanced tire at a certain speed one gets vibrations, the injection pump and the gear vibrates the same.

Even though the mechanics discovered the problem they feel a bit uncomfortable working on it. Right now they want me to locate a rebuilt injection pump, gear and nut, but after installation the timing and other things needs to be optimized. I can have you talk to the mechanics that discovered the problem, if you feel that it is necessary.

Please get back to me as to what you can do!
Thanks for your time.
-Madrugador

I responded on my profile post. I'm not able to work anymore. My back has gotten to where I can only get up for brief periods of time, and I'm stuck in bed the rest.

I responded on my profile post. I'm not able to work anymore. My back has gotten to where I can only get up for brief periods of time, and I'm stuck in bed the rest.
Is there anything that can be done to alleviate the pain ?
I too have been through this and although the pain is not completely gone I can at least move around and be relatively pain free.

Thanks for the info! Can I edit the post to make that change?
Madrugador
I think that the allowed amount of time to edit a post is about 30 minutes, not sure on that though.
One question, why was only one bolt installed on the pump ? I know its a bit tricky but the rest of the bolts can be installed and tightened with some effort. There is a wrench made just for the bolt on the left side ot the pump. @ak diesel driver and I have both built Our own wrenches. I dont at the moment have a pic of mine but AKs wrench is a better design than the one I did. It utilizes a reversible ratcheting box end wrench.

There is a reputable hummer shop in Florida i can get you. Hummer. Uses 6.2 and 6.5 same- engine.

if you diy mechanical, we can walk you through most anything here on the forum also. If your regular mechanic is missing info or unsure we can help him do it for you.

it will cost you some pics when you get free time though ! Haha

Thanks for responding to my post. @MrMarty51 the mechanics think that the pump is probably bad and the gear is not in good shape. To get at the pump and gear, they need to take apart a lot of things. You sound like you know your way around this engine and I wish that you were somewhere close. This is the problem that I am having. I am in the HEART of a south florida with 6 million people and can't easily fine a great 6.2/6.5 mechanic. It is scary!

To @THEFERMANATOR, are you out of the mechanic business all together or just a brief period. Also, do you know of any great 6.2/6.5 mechanics in all of FL.

As I was responding to @THEFERMANATOR, @Will L. responded and I didn't see it until after I submitted my responds.
Thanks @Will L. for the suggestion, unfortunately I am not on Facebook, is there another way to connect with H1HUMVEE.
I assume that H1HUMVEE lives somewhere in FL. so that there may be hope.

I like the idea of using members of this forum for help. How can my mechanics and I get in touch with you and @MrMarty51
directly? I have only used this forum a few times and need a little help with navigation.

Thanks for your time!
-Madrugador

(727) 474-8888 is their phone number in Florida. Im confused on Florida/ Michigan - is truck in Florida but will be with you in Michigan later.

you or your mechanic post questions, pics, etc here and all of us can walk you through fixing it yourself. I could pm you/ your local mechanic my number and you/ he could call me with questions. Lmk if you want it.

if missing the ip (injector pump) mounting nuts, step one is install the nuts and tighten to make sure pump doesn’t jump around. Unlike a gasoline distributor that you move with engine running, the ip can notbe moved with engine running or damage may occur. I have had them come loose and have no issue after they were tightned back down and timed.

Thanks again @Will L. I got in touch with Spartan Offroad in Tampa, FL and spoke to George. He was very helpful.
He could work on the engine, but works with mechanics out of Miami and Jupiter, which are a lot closer and told
me that they are very good. I called the shop in Miami and he sound super knowledgeable about this engine and would
like to take a look at it. I will possibly be able to take the vehicle in for inspection onTuesday (possibly - because of the virus).
I will let you know something after the inspection.

A thousand thanks for the tip! I knew that somebody out of 6 million residents will put a smile on their face seeing a
6.2L engine.

The missing injection pump screws was the fault of the diesel shop that installed it. They were too lazy to tear the thing apart
to install the other screws. They are going to make it right for me.

Since the mechanic have to tear things apart to get to the pump if is advisable to replace the pump and gear.

Good Evening,
-Madrugador

Glad you found somebody as I'm out if it for good and most everybody I trusted is also out of it. Been getting by for almost 5 years on opiates, but even at high levels they're no longer helping much, so don't know what I'm going to do.

@THEFERMANATOR
It sounds like the problem with Your back is beyond the simple carving on a disk procedure. That's what mostly fixed My back.
My cousin has similar problems as Yours, not good the pain He endures.

@THEFERMANATOR
It sounds like the problem with Your back is beyond the simple carving on a disk procedure. That's what mostly fixed My back.
My cousin has similar problems as Yours, not good the pain He endures.
My hip and knees are my main back problems. 15+ years of not listening to the drs and continuing to work and put myself through hell with everything out of wack/alignment has taken a toll on my soft tissue, and given me advanced arthritis.

My hip and knees are my main back problems. 15+ years of not listening to the drs and continuing to work and put myself through hell with everything out of wack/alignment has taken a toll on my soft tissue, and given me advanced arthritis.
I take meds for rheumatoid arthritis, not a fun world. I can take a couple hours in the garage, after that, when I get back into the house, its pain central. LOL

I take meds for rheumatoid arthritis, not a fun world. I can take a couple hours in the garage, after that, when I get back into the house, its pain central. LOL
That's my biggest problem. I take enough stuff to get the pain to where I can do some stuff, I start moving, then when I stop it hits me like a mack truck, and I'm normally down for a few days after. While I'm working I don't notice the pain, as soon as I stop, it's pain central.

Thanks again @Will L. I got in touch with Spartan Offroad in Tampa, FL and spoke to George. He was very helpful.
He could work on the engine, but works with mechanics out of Miami and Jupiter, which are a lot closer and told
me that they are very good. I called the shop in Miami and he sound super knowledgeable about this engine and would
like to take a look at it. I will possibly be able to take the vehicle in for inspection onTuesday (possibly - because of the virus).
I will let you know something after the inspection.

A thousand thanks for the tip! I knew that somebody out of 6 million residents will put a smile on their face seeing a
6.2L engine.

The missing injection pump screws was the fault of the diesel shop that installed it. They were too lazy to tear the thing apart
to install the other screws. They are going to make it right for me.

Since the mechanic have to tear things apart to get to the pump if is advisable to replace the pump and gear.

Good Evening,
-Madrugador
Hey @Madrugador I also am in Miami with a 6.2L GM diesel in an old Army M1008 CUCV and would like to know how it went with that mechanic and if would share his contact info? THANKS!

Got to love Army -20 and -30 and -40 support level maintenance manuals! As a former Maintenance Officer at Brigade level in Armored Cavalry, they were the go-to bible!

Back