• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Russel AN reusable fittings for braided hose ? Orientation of ends ?

schiker

Reaction score
I have never used reusable AN fittings and braided hose. I have assembled one straight reusable hydraulic SAE fitting years ago and have watched some videos. It seems easy enough for straight connections.

I have crimped some hydraulic hose ends and its not that hard to orient two angled ends in a particular clock orientation. Its better to design where one end is a straight fitting so it doesn't matter but I may not have that option. If I have to use (2) 45 degree ends how hard is it to orient the ends at a certain clock orientation to one another? Do I have to use a swivel/swivel fitting or can I assemble and maybe loosen and adjust the start position?

You have to get a feel for how tight to make the ends. You have a pretty good sized window of where you can tighten them to. If they're to loose they will blow apart, but to tight and it will crush the hose and leak. You have a good turn or so of leadway between to tight and to loose. Just make sure and use a GOOD assembly oil when putting them together to minimize galling of the AN fitting threads, or cutting the hose. Put em where they are just tight enough, and then mock them into place. When mocked in you can finish tightening them until they are where you need them.

Thanks. OK since I am inexperienced I will probably go swivel on my first assembly. I'd rather not worry about sweating where my last turn is going to run out on my first time use. And should make assembly that much easier.

I had planned on using 3 in 1 oil, motor oil, or maybe some Super Lube synthetic grease for assembly. Which would you use? What is Russell assembly lube? I may have some if I can find it. I used it on my SAE hydraulic ends when I redid my oil cooler lines.

I used the RUSSEL assembly lube last time I redid mine, but have done dozens with nothing more than 30 weight motor oil. Just make sure and clean the hose out after your done because chances are good some rubber will come off during assembly.

Back