• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rumor - GM Planning new larger gas engine

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This line right here:
As it stands, GM would use the future, high-displacement eight-banger in Class 7 trucks, which it is considering co-developing with Navistar

Leaves us out of the loop. 26,001 to 33,000 lbs ratings. Basically one pound lighter than a full semi truck.

This line right here:
As it stands, GM would use the future, high-displacement eight-banger in Class 7 trucks, which it is considering co-developing with Navistar

Leaves us out of the loop. 26,001 to 33,000 lbs ratings. Basically one pound lighter than a full semi truck.

Yea, that's what I gathered from the link, it will be in the bigger trucks.
GM just go ahead and give the 2500HD and the 3500Hd trucks the 8.0 Liter also as an option. Probably wont happen, GM cuts it's nose off to spite it's face as the ole saying goes.

If GM came out with a gas 8.0 Liter, cranking out about 450 hp and over 500 ft lbs of torque mated to the 10 speed, I would probably make a trade in the future.

Bam, heck I just woke up from my evening nap, I guess I was dreaming about that 8.0 Liter in a new GMC 2500 hd.

Just do a 502 crate. It’s really a great engine available as a crate with impressive numbers that vary based on your fueling and tuning options.
Had a friend that owned a Boss Hoss 502- that was insane!

This will probably be a true HD gas engine with HP numbers not that impressive. Problem is diesel engines afe falling out of favor because of the added cost of emission controls, maintence cost's, breakdown's, and engine failures. Right now diesel vs gas is a tough decision if buying new. Look at how many UPS trucks now sport GM 6.0L's vs diesel's, the numbers are falling out of diesel's favor. It looks like NAVISTAR is trying to stick it to FORD for dropping them when FORD shared alot of the blame in the engine failures because it was there tuning trying to one up the DURAMAX that pushed them to breaking.

A buddy just lost his 8.1L tow vehicle. Had over 200K miles and there was no intent to replace it. Sudden gusts on a mountain pass with a RV in tow changed that decision as the mountain at it (and the RV) :(

Prices for used 3/4 ton Suburbans / Yukons and Excursions with the big motors remain crazy high, so the market is still there.

The big logic error I am seeing from GM is an ongoing attempt to squeeze economy out of a N/A v8 through electronic trickery (ex: AFM). While the trickery works as intended (better economy), there are side effects (ex: increasing oil consumption on 80K+ mileage motors) which the engineers apparently cannot stay ahead of. This just comes across as a smoke-and-mirrors approach to me. Shoot, just put on a blower of some sort on either a 5.XL or 6.XL and move on . . . Don't really need to boost for seeing gains, just push enough air so that the motor does not need to suck it in. Sadly though, the manufacturers look like they are stuck in a HP / MPG death-match rather than a reliability end-game.

Am with Ferm that current generation diesel is a tough decision in the class of vehicles which we use. Aside from maintenance costs which are arguably running higher than a gasser, diesel emissions are simply not getting good enough to stop complaints with the fuel.

In time, it is likely that death of the diesel will come from electric. For example, a pickup with 5K towing capacity is hitting the market. It is just a matter of time until payload and range capabilities are good enough on the electric platforms to force a decline in diesel. Once a charging system makes it possible to drive coast-to-coast on electric, it will put even more pressure on diesel.

Just do a 502 crate. It’s really a great engine available as a crate with impressive numbers that vary based on your fueling and tuning options.
Had a friend that owned a Boss Hoss 502- that was insane!

Is this the crate engine you were talking about @Will L. ? 🙂

Back