• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rocker Arm/Valve Covers, Brands ?

I hope I did okay. I ordered this set from Amazon.
Amongst some stuff that was give to me is a 110 volt Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner. It has a suction hose that can be connected to the vacuum end. With the bag removed there is a tube that air blows out through. I believe that this little vacuum cleaner will make Me a smoke machine. I have some rough ideas how it will go together and I’ll be advertising to the various fakebook groups to try and find some smoke bombs. Fourth of July kinds I think will work great. Rig up a coffee can inside a five gallon bucket with a little sand in the bottom. Use a pour spout bucket lid and attach the suction hose to that, another small vacuum cleaner hose out the back and attached to the CDR port on the rocker cover.
See if that will work. If the smoke bombs is color smoke that might be to an advantage. Maybe the smoke would be more visible under the ultra violet light. 🤷‍♂️
Any how.
Headed to the cabin last Friday. About 18 miles out a big cloud of smoke from under the truck. I pulled over immediately. Looked it all over. See drips from under the truck but cant tell where it is coming from. Called triple A. They no longer respond. I was pulling a utility trailer. My son behind pulling the lake boat. He goes back to town and drops the lake boat. Comes back out and hitches to the utility trailer, I spin around on the interstate and head back to town, hoping the leak aint so bad that it catches afire.
Back to town I drop the bottom covers and fire it up. Just cant see good enough to tell where the leaks is at.
The son gets there and I borrow the step sons 6.2 gasser GMC and rehitch to the trailer and we then go to the cabin.
Now I’m thinking I should just pull the engine and do a total reseal job with the new rocker arm covers. But that would be more than I need for right now. Maybe a project for this winter. Right now new R A covers, new oil filter adapter gaskets and new oil cooler hoses. Whats on there now is high pressure, high temp hydraulic hoses made up by the PO.
Maybe with the home made smoke detector I can check the engine for leaks before firing it up. 🤷‍♂️😹

I hope I did okay. I ordered this set from Amazon.
Amongst some stuff that was give to me is a 110 volt Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner. It has a suction hose that can be connected to the vacuum end. With the bag removed there is a tube that air blows out through. I believe that this little vacuum cleaner will make Me a smoke machine. I have some rough ideas how it will go together and I’ll be advertising to the various fakebook groups to try and find some smoke bombs. Fourth of July kinds I think will work great. Rig up a coffee can inside a five gallon bucket with a little sand in the bottom. Use a pour spout bucket lid and attach the suction hose to that, another small vacuum cleaner hose out the back and attached to the CDR port on the rocker cover.
See if that will work. If the smoke bombs is color smoke that might be to an advantage. Maybe the smoke would be more visible under the ultra violet light. 🤷‍♂️
Any how.
Headed to the cabin last Friday. About 18 miles out a big cloud of smoke from under the truck. I pulled over immediately. Looked it all over. See drips from under the truck but cant tell where it is coming from. Called triple A. They no longer respond. I was pulling a utility trailer. My son behind pulling the lake boat. He goes back to town and drops the lake boat. Comes back out and hitches to the utility trailer, I spin around on the interstate and head back to town, hoping the leak aint so bad that it catches afire.
Back to town I drop the bottom covers and fire it up. Just cant see good enough to tell where the leaks is at.
The son gets there and I borrow the step sons 6.2 gasser GMC and rehitch to the trailer and we then go to the cabin.
Now I’m thinking I should just pull the engine and do a total reseal job with the new rocker arm covers. But that would be more than I need for right now. Maybe a project for this winter. Right now new R A covers, new oil filter adapter gaskets and new oil cooler hoses. Whats on there now is high pressure, high temp hydraulic hoses made up by the PO.
Maybe with the home made smoke detector I can check the engine for leaks before firing it up. 🤷‍♂️😹
What do you mean AAA no longer responds?

I thought that was just my experience.

I found tryin to get an mri, that wait can be a couple months out. I called and asked about how soon if it is cash payment- next day. $300 well spent as it got me into shoulder surgery months sooner and to a great surgeon with the new technology/ technique that works better, heals faster. But the smaller & privately owned mri places- they prefer cash to insurance because the big insurance companies hammer down what they pay. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit to learn AAA only pays a reduced rate and if John’s towing won’t accept it- they use Fred’s towing instead.

Idk about making a smoke machine from a vacuum- sounds like it could work. YouTube is full of videos showing how to make one from a cheap old paint gun or 1 gallon paint can, a glow plug and scrap parts. I too need to make one, the 01 tacoma has yonder code about emissions leak but I snaked it by smog this year. Next year I will have to have it right, maybe sooner. Every time I fuel up (open gas cap) when it starts first time it dies, hard restart, then drives ok. I hate fixing emissions stuff.

The Dirty Devil Vacuum Cleaner. Soon to be smoke machine.
I run a add in fakebook, local market place, for some smoke bombs, not the good ones, just them left over from fourth of July. Also in the add that if it was colored smoke that could be a bonus for what I’m needing them for.
I think a 5 gallon pail with some dirt or sand in the bottom. A steel/tin coffee can with the smoke bombs going off within it, the bucket lid with the pour spout for the vacuum hose and possibly might have to drill a couple holes in the bucket to get enough ventilation for the SBs to burn and also so that there would be some air movement so the smoke could get sucked out.
The black hose is the same diameter as the tube from the DD. Gorilla tape setting here to rescue that mission. Black hose to the CDR grommet and should have a functioning smoke muscheeen. 🤷‍♂️ 😹😹😹
IMG_6621.jpeg

Just thinking out of the box here, but you might be able to make some smoke with some of the small bbq pellets too. add some sand in the bucket making a depressed pocket to pile up about a hand full of pellets in the middle. light them and let them get to a good smolder. extinguish the flame, then add the lid with the hoses from the dirty devil and a hose to the engine. test it out without the engine side connected to see the amount of smoke it will produce before adding the bbq smoke flavoring into the crankcase.

I say test it first so that the pellets dont flare up and you end up with a glorified smoking flame throwing device lol.

if the dirty devil pushes too much air and turbulance, maybe even using an air compressor with a regulator set at a low and slow setting. that would make for a sort of smoke fog machine.

Just thinking out of the box here, but you might be able to make some smoke with some of the small bbq pellets too. add some sand in the bucket making a depressed pocket to pile up about a hand full of pellets in the middle. light them and let them get to a good smolder. extinguish the flame, then add the lid with the hoses from the dirty devil and a hose to the engine. test it out without the engine side connected to see the amount of smoke it will produce before adding the bbq smoke flavoring into the crankcase.

I say test it first so that the pellets dont flare up and you end up with a glorified smoking flame throwing device lol.

if the dirty devil pushes too much air and turbulance, maybe even using an air compressor with a regulator set at a low and slow setting. that would make for a sort of smoke fog machine.
I will see how those do for smoke. Thank You very much.
Still uncluttering the garage for the just in case I decide to lift this engine out of frame. Then new gasket and seal the entire unit.
I dont know if oil from the rocker arms can be drawn to the HB area but it also appears that the front cranking shaft seal could be leaking too, or the front of the pan gasket. New fluid dampener on there too and it appears to be real close to the timing cover.
I guess lifting the engine and hanging it on the stand might not be a bad idea. Rear crank seal too. Pop the pan and inspect the main webs for cracks too. 🤷‍♂️

More on the idea of the smoke machine.
Yesterday I did a trip out to the ACE hardware store for a pipe fitting.
Returning home made a pass onto Main street. One of the local fireworks venders was getting set up.
Did a swing around, stopped and asked, You got any smoke bombs ? Yes we do, seemed to have them right on top 🤷‍♂️
I got four large smoke bombs @ $3.00 each and also took a pack of the little round ones.
Got home and scooped some gravel from the alley into the plastic 5 gallon bucket. Set the tin can in there with the small round SB contained within and lit the fuse. Popped the cover over the 5 gallon bucket with the vac hose within the pour spout.
All the smoke was sucked from the bucket and blew out the outlet tube.
I think this just might work, and, hope that the little vacuum has enough pressure to blow smoke out of the leak.
Planning on warming the engine real good before experimenting with the smoke machine.

Tried out the smoke machine. It most likely did pump some smoke into the enjun, but, as I suspected, I dont believe that the DD puts out enough pressure to push smoke out of the joints where the oil is coming from.
Tried two smoke bombs without success. 🤷‍♂️
I’ll give the rest of the SBs to the step grand daughter along with a handful of pop bottle rockets been setting around the shop and have that clutter cleared out. 😹😹😹

Before you pull it apart, you might drive up on a set of ramps and power wash the crap out of the engine. unless there is a place where theyll do it for you. then drive around a short distance and check for places looking for fresh oil. maybe even add some dye in the oil might help.

Before you pull it apart, you might drive up on a set of ramps and power wash the crap out of the engine. unless there is a place where theyll do it for you. then drive around a short distance and check for places looking for fresh oil. maybe even add some dye in the oil might help.

I first liberally spray with the purple engine degreaser using a spray bottle. Let it soak an hour or so, then pressure wash the crap out of it.

It is soaked from the valve covers on down.
Appears to be some, just a drip or two and dampness behind the HB. So much oil everywhere cant really tell where it is coming from and no one in town will wash under a vehicle.
I once did use B&P cleaner and had RCs on down dried and so I’m rested assured that it is almost totally from the RCs.
I do have a couple bottles of dye that I’ll dump in and then give it a short run. But I’ll once again dry off the heads.
Inner fender RH side will come out for the cleaning then place it back in with several bolts to hold the AF in position while doing the leaky test drive. I also have a ultra violet flash light and the dark glasses to go with it.
Also, I see that there is a slight leak on the floor, right below where the transmission cooler pipes hooks to the radiator.
I hope there is no problems with the new champion radiator. 😖😵‍💫😧😹

So for less than half you can make that. Check youtube- to s of people do it and they perform better than the $300 units.
Looking at it I thought it looked more risky than my tin can in a five gallon bucket with dirt and gravel in the bottom of the bucket and the tin can sitting atop of that.
Could there be a problem that the ebay unit might blow the lid before enough pressure is obtained to overcome the leaks ?
Guess I’ll go back and read about it.
Be nice to find an old paint pot. That might work about the best. Regulated pressure hose in and could even use the paint gun to release the smoke into the engine from the paint pot.
Have to be careful though as heat from a smoke bomb might melt some items. Set off the smoke bomb inside the paint pot then let it cool down before sending any smoke to the engine.

It is soaked from the valve covers on down.
Appears to be some, just a drip or two and dampness behind the HB. So much oil everywhere cant really tell where it is coming from and no one in town will wash under a vehicle.
I once did use B&P cleaner and had RCs on down dried and so I’m rested assured that it is almost totally from the RCs.
I do have a couple bottles of dye that I’ll dump in and then give it a short run. But I’ll once again dry off the heads.
Inner fender RH side will come out for the cleaning then place it back in with several bolts to hold the AF in position while doing the leaky test drive. I also have a ultra violet flash light and the dark glasses to go with it.
Also, I see that there is a slight leak on the floor, right below where the transmission cooler pipes hooks to the radiator.
I hope there is no problems with the new champion radiator. 😖😵‍💫😧😹
RC = Rocker Cover? aka valve cover?

I used the Dorman units. Stamped steel is stamped steel.

I really think you should consider the cork gasket under the cover and the girdle directly on the valve cover.

Mine is now barely leaving a spot if any at all. I do have leakage on the frame under the turbo drain. The drain pipe was installed to the turbo with no gasket and probably need to fab one for that.

The paint can lid popping off is a safety thing. You are cooking oil to the point it is smoking. If it flames up and you keep the pressure trapped in- it will explode.
This way as soon as any descent pressure builds- the lid pops off instead of exploding

RC = Rocker Cover? aka valve cover?

I used the Dorman units. Stamped steel is stamped steel.

I really think you should consider the cork gasket under the cover and the girdle directly on the valve cover.

Mine is now barely leaving a spot if any at all. I do have leakage on the frame under the turbo drain. The drain pipe was installed to the turbo with no gasket and probably need to fab one for that.
Thinking about those neoprene gaskets that Leroy sells. He has a very limited quantity of those.

Back