• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Roadmaster versus Air Lift

I like air bags because you dont always have to use them. If I always had weight I think I would look into a add a leaf.

I dislike air bags because you always have to air em up or down, and add a spring makes ride too stiff IMO, RM setup IMO is a very good way to go, wish it was me that came up with them & I wouldn't be working far from home to keep the lights on and fridge filled

Actually what I said was all diesel Suburbans were 8 lug, even the 1500s.

Sorry DD I should have taken more of the quote, it was from Turbine Doc's

"Lets change that statement to a if bearings fail, it is something to be concerned with, but with limited heavy towing, the risk while real is minimal;

Most of the sf bearing/axle fails I've heard of can be attributed to constant abuse, like frequent off road with monster tires, population of day to day bearing fails on the 14 bolt sf rear is small, and as easy as it is to pull the axle, the risk is managed by pre-emptive bearing inspection/replacement.

the sf axle in a 1500 Diesel PU is significantly "beefier" than sf in a gasser truck, IIRC 2500 Diesels are all ff, so it would be the 1500 crowd such as "moi" that has to pay extra attention to this."

But he did say IIRC. lol

So its been a while and I figured I should report on the results from my suspension upgrade as follows:
So I ordered the Roadmasters from my local Truck Shop and on the day of install the Chief Mechanic there who was installing them recommended against me using them. We had a good long discussion about it and he was off the opinion that my springs were already too flat for the Roadmasters to overcome the constant weight that I carry. He spoke from experience that in the past in situations like mine the Roadmaster did not really remedy the situation. He of course recommended airbags instead (Firestone). This is a good truck shop and I take their advice seriously, the airbags were only another $100 installed and they market both and also stand behind the Roadmaster product so it was not really a make more money out of customer issue. So I went with the airbags and so far I am really happy my springs are happy I now ride level again and the ride is great took a couple of days to figure on the best air setting but now I can leave it there. Figure that as I tow stuff I'll figure pretty quick on where to air them too weight depending. I have already made an adapter that converts my trailer socket into a Cig Lighter outlet so I can easily air up with my small tire compressor, the wire just does not quite reach the dashboard!

I also fitted limiting straps so that when I go on a post lift the axles do not hang on the bags which firestone recommends against doing. Note you just know that I am going to forget they are there and not air them down etc to go on a lift so this deals with that.

Total cost Bags/Install and Straps $550.00.

Thanks to all for your input.

Cheers
Nobby

Good luck with the bags, I'm still at a loss though on your mechanics thought process that bags do anything different than an extra set of springs, you are transferring the weight to bags vs the extra set of coils that come in the RM coils, I'll defer to your mechs opinion, sort of a moot point now, but if anybody would have a set of flat springs it would have been mine, I've not had that happen as of yet with any loads, the RM keeps the factory springs from flattening out.

Hey Tim,
Yep it was one of those 50/50 choices kind of hard when you trust both inputs. We did have a real good chat about it and I believe his experiences with other customer vehicles also.

What it really came down too for me was that I am OK with the extra hassle of airing up/down and I know I have a system rated for 5000#s and hence whatever I throw at it. No doubt it does not handle quite as nicely as the Roadmaster but I am also OK with that to. I just did not have the time to try the Roadmasters and if necessary change out thanks once again for your offer though. It was a case of knowing that the airbags definitely would work for me

Cheers
Nobby

Maybe the thought your springs were so flat that the roadmasters would have to pull them back up and the wouldnt be strong enough to hold the weight and pull your old springs up.

Back