• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Roadmaster versus Air Lift

nobby

Old Timey Diesel Guy
Reaction score
I am planning on adding load support to my rear springs and was planning on going down the Air Lift air bag route until a conversation with Tim (Turbine Doc) a while back put me onto the Roadmaster active suspension system. My burb is a work truck and permantatly carries all my tools in the back. Its hard to guess the weight but its up there. Anyway of late I have been noticing a wee bit of sag in the back and figured it was time to put some assist on. The Roadmaster looks like a good solution with no need for fiddling with air pressures etc however I feel that it is being sold more from a handling standpoint then a load assist standpoint although I guess the two are pretty much co-related. Handling wise I have no complaints really I just want to level things out and help the springs out and stop them from tiring out too quickly. Cost wise they are similar although more time to install the air lift. I do like the idea of pumping the bags up if towing a heavy load however not sure if my low frequency of needing this really justifies it.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers
Nobby

What about Rancho ADD-A-LEAF ?

Have them in my truck and I'm absolutly satisfied with them. Okay, with an empty bed a bit hard, but if you throw weight in the bed, you get a smooth ride and no hanging rear.

Put about 1 ton of stones in the bed and the rear end only went abou 1 inch down.

Cu,
Sven

Nobby did you put on a roadmaster yet, or asking for more info, it adds carry capability I'm at 5200# on rear axle when hooked to the gn trailer hauling my backhoe, truck sits dead level, hauled a almost 2 pallets of sod once and was dead level on that run also, there is some load adjustment to how stiff you want to make the system, I could make it stiffer if need be, call them IIRC they had a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Air bags work that is a given, but requires more to install them, add a spring works also, but those are active suspension stiffeners, rm is semi-active when bed is empty rm unloads itself and does not impact the ride like inflated bags or springs do. IMO call them to see if they still have a satisfaction policy and try them.

Hi Tim, no haven't installed yet just seeing if there are anymore opinions out there. 5200 on rear and no complaints well that pretty much cinches the deal for me. I did also figure with the 30 day guarantee that would be enough to figure it out. I was planning after fitting to load my trailer to place a heavy load on my rear and see how she feels. My local truck shop can install with a price total of $390 you just cannot beat that for value saves me buggering around on my back for a couple of hours.
Thanks Tim for putting me onto this.

Cheers
Nobby

I have air bags on my farm truck, they work fine but now that they have quite a few years on them they won't hold air when it's below freezing. Leo

Thanks Tim, I am running E's on the Riveted alloy rims I was under the impression that those were up there in the ratings?

Cheers
Nobby

And don't forget to have a full floater so when your bearings fail and your axle snaps, the wheels dont come off.

I too thought the roadmaster system looked interesting, but appeared to be more for handling and side to side equalizing. But if Doc says it adds capacity I believe him, since he has it.
I have been agonizing for a long time over whether to do rear Timbrens or airbags, didn't really think to give the roadmaster consideration, haven't thought of it in a long time. Maybe I should have. Anyway, after online price shopping for about two years, I finally broke down and ordered airbags. Just arrived yesterday, haven't even opened the box yet. Airlift usually has a slight price advantage over Firestone, but I ended up going with Arnott Air Systems. The bracketry (is that a word?) looks identical to Airlifts, and the bags are made by Conti-Tech, which I believe is one of the larger rubber manufacturers, own Continental Tire which owns half the other tire brands.
Anywho, I had just ordered a new Diamondeye exhaust system on the 'bay, they sent me a 10% off discount coupon, good for three days. So that helped push me over the edge. I got the Arnotts for $202 with free shipping. I plan on installing it myself, they don't look too hard. My buddy put some on his F350 last year, he said it works good for his big fiver, but 95% of the time he's empty and he can set the bags at a certain setting ( I forget what he said it was) and that it rides better than it ever did, he absolutely loves the ride now. So I'm looking forward to that. Mine has a little unloaded hammer to it when it's empty, the overload springs bang the bumpstops pretty hard. When it's loaded it rides great, but it doesn't sit as level as it once did. Plus I can't keep it loaded all the time just to make it ride better.

Hmm the Full Floater issue now that is another whole can of worms, I have the badged 2500 with the factory 3.42 rear SF axle. This gets even more complicated by the fact that according to my VIN breakdown my Burb is a 1/2 ton. Sticker rating has me at 8050 now the springs themselves and Tim and I have already discussed this are 6 leaf and appear to be 3/4 ton. I compared them to DaveNY true 8600# stickered 2500 burb springs and the thicknesses are the same on the leafs they sure feel and load up like a 3/4 spring. Thing is though the numbers on Dave springs and mine were different and when I ran the part# on mine nothing came up.

Note my brakes do spec out to be the 8000-9000lb system JD7.

And yes with all my tools in the back I sure do ride much better than empty.

In regard to the SF axle issue, My frequency of towing anything that heavy is so blue moonish that I'll be alright. Should that change then I'll certainly bite the bullet and change out to a FF rear.

I am also considering popping to the local GM dealer and seeing if they can run my spring #'s to see what comes up.

Cheers
Nobby

And don't forget to have a full floater so when your bearings fail and your axle snaps, the wheels dont come off.

Lets change that statement to a if bearings fail, it is something to be concerned with, but with limited heavy towing, the risk while real is minimal;

Most of the sf bearing/axle fails I've heard of can be attributed to constant abuse, like frequent off road with monster tires, population of day to day bearing fails on the 14 bolt sf rear is small, and as easy as it is to pull the axle, the risk is managed by pre-emptive bearing inspection/replacement.

the sf axle in a 1500 Diesel PU is significantly "beefier" than sf in a gasser truck, IIRC 2500 Diesels are all ff, so it would be the 1500 crowd such as "moi" that has to pay extra attention to this.

My work truck rides much better with the air bags, they unload the springs when running empty. They are now over 10 years old. If pricing is similar though I would try what TD has. Leo

the sf axle in a 1500 Diesel PU is significantly "beefier" than sf in a gasser truck, IIRC 2500 Diesels are all ff, so it would be the 1500 crowd such as "moi" that has to pay extra attention to this.

Hang on now Tim do not forget guys like me with the badged 2500 Burb that has a factory 3.42 SF in it. I completely agree with your bearing comments etc it still is a beefy rear end.

So anyway the plot thickens I finally got off my arse and went to the dealer to figure out once and for all the somewhat discussed comparisons of springs for odd trucks like mine. Now correct me if I am wrong but are not all diesel 15/2500 trucks 6 leaf in the rear. Just got back from the dealer and established that my rear springs whilst 6 leaf and though looking the same when comparing to a True 3/4 ton 2500 are specified as being Heavy Duty 1/2 ton springs. I guess this is also proven by the fact that the part #'s are different too. Now is this whole badging thing somewhat arbitary was it down to the guy applying the badge what he chose to put on?

Anyway so I actually have 1/2 ton springs back there. Hmm that now throws in the ring the possible upgrade to 3/4 ton springs. Strikes me though that perhaps the best thing at this point in the light of that is to go with the bags, that way I get the no doubt better ride empty with the Heavy 1/2 springs and the rated load capacity with the bags should I need it.

On edit thinking some more Tim your knowledge and input as always is very valid here, so you with the 1500 no doubt have the same springs from factory as me heavy half's and you sure do put your trucks to the test
Hmm tough choice the handling bonus's of the Roadmaster sure is attractive. What do you figure is the resale value of a used set of Roadmasters should I change my mind down the road, there not that hard to get off after all $125 perhaps?

cheers
Nobby

Hang on now Tim do not forget guys like me with the badged 2500 Burb that has a factory 3.42 SF in it. I completely agree with your bearing comments etc it still is a beefy rear end.

Nobby

Hey now don't I get credit for prefacing that comment with IIRC, which means I get a pass if I don't remember correctly :D, not sure what is on the 3:42 burb to be exact mines a 1500 and I thought it has same as the truck, try the RM, if it don't work for you and they won't take it back net me know I'll buy from you I need to put a set on my burb anyway

Ah hah so that's what IIRC means, I'm still getting the hang of this shorthand game, OK I'll forgive you then. :D

I recall that you and I talked at some length in regards to the whole rear spring issue on these diesel trucks. I am happy to have put it to bed and establish that I do not have true 3/4 ton springs.

Based on your results I think I'll go for the Roadmasters and yes I was planning on the XXII-F spring. We'll let you know how it works out.

Cheers
Nobby

not to keep beating a dead horse, but IIRC all diesel Suburbans have 8 beefy studs, as opposed to 6 non-beefy ones. Big plus in my book right there.

I personally would think long and hard before pulling anything heavy with a 6 lug, semi-floating C-clip rear axle. I've seen the carnage when they let go. I've also seen studs fail on a full-floater on an overloaded 1 ton dump. Must be harder to break eight 9/16" studs than six 1/2". Swapping in a full floater is a simple job, but you're not likely to find one with 3:42 gears.

To go back toward the topic, I think if you add the airbags, they will take over much of the duty the springs are currently performing, so it may not in fact be necessary to replace the springs.

The 5000lb airbags may actually be overkill for a Sub, they make lighter bags like 1000# capacity that would probably make you happy.

Hey Dan,
Thanks for your input the axle is indeed an 8 lug SF. Your caution in general is duly noted as I already stated my need to pull a heavy load which is a relative statement I know is going to be an odd occurrence for me. I have in fact thought long and hard about locating a 3.42 FF but upon analysis the way I normally use the vehicle could not justify the cost. I am open to one falling in my lap so to speak and do keep one beedy eye out, should that happen I would install it.

I really am somewhat flip flopping on this whole topic Air Bags do still hold their charm for me, however the ease and cost of installing the Roadmasters makes me game to try them. It's not a budget breaking amount to be out should I not like them and there is at least a 30 Day money back deal that I can rely on somewhat.

cheers
Nobby

"IIRC 2500 Diesels are all ff"

I have a K2500 with a 6 bolt SF 3.73 axle. I just love what GM does with there badging. Mine is consider LD where as a friend of mine has a HD K1500 and it has a 8 bolt FF axle. It used to be a heavy half ton PU had 1/2 ton in front and 3/4 ton in rear and just a regular half ton had 1/2 ton front and rear.

Tim's personal recommendations mean more to me than my own opinions. He wouldn't mislead you, he has real life experience with teh product he is referring to, even offerend to buy up the set if you dont' like and can't return.

Them bad-boys should already be ordered up!

Back