• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacement calipers for the tahoe, what to buy?

Gekkoen

Reaction score
I need to replace the calipers in the front of my tahoe since they are not retracting from the rotor and wearing out the inside pad.

I've been looking on rockauto and it's all remanufactured calipers as i can see, so my question is which manufacturer is the best to buy?

Sorry no help to your answer directly, but...
Something to throw in about upgrading rotors if thinking about them. Slotted or drilled rotors are a favorite upgrade that helps most any pad/ rotor perform better.
HOWEVER, if you go offroading, the dirt and mud gets packed into the cooling voids and wears out pads and rotors in short order.
I have a couple friends that before a weekend of mudding swap out the performance rotors and calipers for the stock set up. Then after wash down put back the performance brakes and give a once over for damage to the undercarriage.

A note on drilled rotors for the rust belt locations in the lower 48 USA; don't do it.

Of course anywhere could fall victim to road treatments (salt, brine, potassium something or other) that will rust shut the holes in short order. Then you will be left with 2 or 4 stone saw blades that will mow through pads nearly as fast as you can install them and not stop worth a hoot in the process.

Last edited:
Not sure they are the same size, but I have a NIB set of Raybestos Advanced Technology front brake pads for the K2500 Suburban. I no longer need them. Cheap. Make offers.

Also have a set of Timken bearing hubs for the K2500 (8 lug) with 45K miles and NAPA rotors with less than 10K miles on them. $45 per hub and rotor plus shipping.

Also have good used calipers for the K2500. $20 apiece plus shipping.
Not sure they are the same size, but I have a NIB set of Raybestos Advanced Technology front brake pads for the K2500 Suburban. I no longer need them. Cheap. Make offers.

Also have a set of Timken bearing hubs for the K2500 (8 lug) with 45K miles and NAPA rotors with less than 10K miles on them. $45 per hub and rotor plus shipping.

The only pieces they could use on a 6 lug truck is the pads and calipers, none of the rest would even come close to fitting.

At one time I thought about making the Tahoe an 8 lug. What would that have involved?
Swapping pretty much everything in the front end, and I believe some modifications to the upper control arm mounts. 8 lug trucks used larger cv's, the 9.25" front diff, 4 bolt instead of 3 bolt hub bearings, different lower control arm's, not sure on the uppers, rotors, calipers, and spindles. Then of course the rear axle to matchh as there's no 8 bolt axles I know of for one. Then of course new driveshafts to match the new axles.

I ended up ordering Raybestos calipers with pads, they were cleared through customs yesterday so hopefully i can pick them up on friday.

hopefully the rotors aren't too bad as i replaced them in 2014, but we'll see when i take them off.

got the calpers ready, but i need to take the rotors with me to work and chuck them up and skim them in a lathe because one of them had some grooves in it.
The thickness on the thinnest bit is 32.4mm and minimum is 30.80.

what's left of the pads, just in time, less than 2mm on the inside one

the one to blame for this

it will be sitting like this until the weekend when i get back to it (K2XX style tow mirrors will go on aswell)

Back