• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

I removed the left side tail light, it was very difficult, with the one screw holding it in and all. I finally ran and "T"ed in the reverse light wire. The wood around this light was not wood sealed. I am still in the process of slapping on some wood sealer around the tail light and around the bottom for the outer lower trim. I still need to put a few more coats on.
IMG_1256.jpg
Here is the reverse lights I plan on using/adding. I have had them sitting on the shelf in my garage for over two years. I wanted to mount them under the bumper. I do not think that will work. The lights have three holes in the metal shield that goes around the bulb. I am afraid they will fill with water if I mount them upside down. I will have to play around with them to figure out how I am going to mount them. I think I can mount them on top. :skep:
IMG_1257.jpg

Mount them on top, one on each corner so it lights the entire area. Then a secondary wire on a switch by the back so you can turn them on when you need ambient light night while camping.

Send me your address next week. I'll send you some HID adaptors to use in this or something else.

Mount them on top, one on each corner so it lights the entire area. Then a secondary wire on a switch by the back so you can turn them on when you need ambient light night while camping.

I think I will mount them to some galvanized L angle brackets to the back top of the bumper. I am worried about them being kicked around being mounted on the step. I will try to mount them up this weekend.

Send me your address next week. I'll send you some HID adaptors to use in this or something else.

Thanks! PM sent. :thumbsup:

I got the last coat of wood sealer applied. I also got the tail light mounted up. I will get pictures of it tomorrow when I mount up the trim.

get a piece of rectangular tubing that a light will just fit inside of, weld a couple of bolts to it and then mount it to the bumper.

I went to Home depot and picked up the screws for the lower trim along with two brackets. I tried to figure out different ways to mount up the light. The way I mounted seem to work best with keeping the bracket, light, and bumper working as one. Here is what she looks like mounted up on the left side.
IMG_1258.jpg
As you can see I bent the bracket to keep as many sharp edges away. I did not get it very straight but, I did get it bent. I used the existing holes I do not plan on using again to run the wires behind the bumper.
IMG_1259.jpg
Here is the tail light all mounted up.
IMG_1260.jpg
I will get more work done later on today. I took a long lunch! :thumbsup:

Got the other new reverse light installed. I also got the lower trim screwed in.
IMG_1261.jpg
I started pulling the fridge again. Here is a picture of the 12v wires. This picture is for me on how they are suppose to be connected.
IMG_1262.jpg
As I was pulling the picture there was a ton of dirt and crap falling down. I would stop every inch or so and vacuum up the mess. I had no idea it was going to be this bad.
IMG_1263.jpg
Look at the size of these wasp nest up above the fridge! :eek:
IMG_1264.jpg
Can anybody tell me what this plug is for? I will dig around once I clean up this mess. But, it comes down from the roof.
IMG_1265.jpg
These pictures did not want to cooperate. I had to resize just about all of them. :mad2:

Well that area is not going to clean itself. Just wanted to share my new found friends! :hihi:

Hey Marty: Been awhile since I visited this thread-going to backtrack, catch up on your progress-.

The plug is solar prewire, at least thats the plug Lance used, 12ga red positive, white negative. Wires should lead from refer vent cap mounted plug, down inside, should lead somewhere behind battery box-though Ive read folks finding other end in a number of places.

-why plug inside unknown-though it looks like that piece of plastic it's attached to was originally part of the refer roof vent? At least thats where it was installed from factory, on side of refer vent cap, possible it was broken-vent cap replaced and plug fell or was just shoved below. .Why the roof side plug inside, why wire nuts, why color change. Curious-is there a plug on vent or where do the wires go on roof? Is it as it appears in pics-plug dangling at end of wires from roof? Odd.
Tis a mystery how it ended up in current state, but I believe originaly solar prewire-just jacked by some ones unclebrother.
Mark

Hey Marty: Been awhile since I visited this thread-going to backtrack, catch up on your progress-.

The plug is solar prewire, at least thats the plug Lance used, 12ga red positive, white negative. Wires should lead from refer vent cap mounted plug, down inside, should lead somewhere behind battery box-though Ive read folks finding other end in a number of places.

-why plug inside unknown-though it looks like that piece of plastic it's attached to was originally part of the refer roof vent? At least thats where it was installed from factory, on side of refer vent cap, possible it was broken-vent cap replaced and plug fell or was just shoved below. .Why the roof side plug inside, why wire nuts, why color change. Curious-is there a plug on vent or where do the wires go on roof? Is it as it appears in pics-plug dangling at end of wires from roof? Odd.
Tis a mystery how it ended up in current state, but I believe originaly solar prewire-just jacked by some ones unclebrother.
Mark

Thanks Mark! :thumbsup:

That is what I thought but was not 100%. Which is why I asked.

I got the mess cleaned up. I had to remove so more siding. To get it off had to remove the front jack. I put the jack back on to keep the cover tight. As you can see the rot is very extensive, like the back.
IMG_1266.jpg
It gave a good fight, after I removed three more screws in the back. :rolleyes5: I now have the plastic propane tank holder removed. There is a lot of rot under this one also.
IMG_1267.jpg
The rot is so bad the staples let go.
IMG_1268.jpg
This picture is for me for reference on the board and how it will need to be mounted.
IMG_1269.jpg
This is more proof that the PO new what he was giving me. If you look there is a piece of the flooring he installed.
IMG_1270.jpg
I stapled up an old shirt to keep dirt and bugs away from my stuff in the drawers.
IMG_1271.jpg
I removed three screws to attempt to get the board out.
IMG_1272.jpg
It started to rain so I stopped for know. I will staple some plastic over the opening of the fridge to keep dirt and bugs out.

If the rain will stop I will get back to work. :hello:

Nice work on the truck camper. I had to replace the entire floor in my 5er 2 years ago. The PO let it leak and rot he covered it up as well. It sucks but once you remove and get it all fixed up you have a reliable camper to take out.

Nice work on the truck camper. I had to replace the entire floor in my 5er 2 years ago. The PO let it leak and rot he covered it up as well. It sucks but once you remove and get it all fixed up you have a reliable camper to take out.

True, I actually enjoy rebuilding the truck camper. It helps keep me busy and lets time go buy faster. :agreed:

Back