• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rearview Mirror Glue

It's all in the Prep

yeah,, it's really all in the prep, as you Must get all the old stuff off, and clean the glass. They give you a little alcohol square,, to clean with,, But that ain't enough.
Brake Kleen or Prep Solvent,, is what the shops use,, as it removes all trace's of oil, and dries with no residue. That I think is the key to have success or not. ):h

Ok, an update. The temperature becomess less than 100F 2 weeks ago so I finally re-installed the mirror. I bought the Permatex Kit.

I clean it real good as per Dave's suggestion. Even squirt a little bit of brake cleaner on both surface. I also sanded the metal piece real good, clean it with alcohol and brake cleaner. After attaching the metal piece, I waited for 3 days before hanging the mirror on it.

So far 2 weeks later, it is still holding. Time will tell the story.

The hard way I found out using the metal part that mounts on the window with the glue needs to be roughed up with sand paper or a knife and then cleaned thoroughly. Then follow the directions provided by the kit.

The plastic one the cheap kits come with never lasted more than a couple of days.

The hard way I found out using the metal part that mounts on the window with the glue needs to be roughed up with sand paper or a knife and then cleaned thoroughly. Then follow the directions provided by the kit.

I actually rough up the metal piece with sand paper and clean it with alcohol plus a squirt of brake cleaner.
I made sure not to touch the surface after that. Left it without mirror for 4 days before I hanged on to it.

It is still holding more than a month later. So I will update it again later.

Well, more than one and a half year. The mirror is still holding.

Awesome!!!

Whoever needs it fixed, just follow the same procedure and it should be good $6 fix.

What about taking off the little metal tab without breaking the windshield? Since I built my slant back roof and hatch door (or as my wife calls it " omg it is even uglier now"), I took off the mirror. Now the metal tab is there staring at me, taunting me to break the windshield in an attempt to remove it. Anyone done this?

I have used the permatex kits with great success.

sorry, no suggestions about how to get it off, other than to wait for damage and replace it and leave it off then! :)

It is still holding more than a 2.5 year later.
Well GOOD for you! :thumbsup:

What about taking off the little metal tab without breaking the windshield? ... Now the metal tab is there staring at me, taunting me to break the windshield in an attempt to remove it. Anyone done this?
You take a small cold chisel and ball peen and give it a sharp rap from the top down. That only breaks the glass about 30% of the time. Do ya feel lucky? :biggrin: Well do ya? :hihi:

What about taking off the little metal tab without breaking the windshield? Since I built my slant back roof and hatch door (or as my wife calls it " omg it is even uglier now"), I took off the mirror. Now the metal tab is there staring at me, taunting me to break the windshield in an attempt to remove it. Anyone done this?

Don't worry, it will get off sooner or later by itself!!!

How do you take off the little metal tab without braking the windshield? Since I no longer have a rear window, I took off the mirror, but the tab is still there.

Back