• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rearview Mirror Glue

JMJNet

Recruit
Reaction score
Non technical question.

My inside rearview mirror just fell off yesterday.

Wonder what is the best recommendation to glue it back on?

It has a black paper thin still sticking to the glass, if I need to remove it before sticking the metal piece back?

Thanks.

Non technical question.

My inside rearview mirror just fell off yesterday.

Wonder what is the best recommendation to glue it back on?

It has a black paper thin still sticking to the glass, if I need to remove it before sticking the metal piece back?

Thanks.

Our local GM dealership will do those for $15 and warrants it from ever coming off - just a thought since the kits often don't seem to work

Our local GM dealership will do those for $15 and warrants it from ever coming off - just a thought since the kits often don't seem to work
Agreed. I've had no luck keeping them on for more than a few months with the kits.

Meh, maybe it's about proper prep, application conditions or just plain ol' luck but I've had a mirror stuck on with crappy tire mirror glue for about 8 years now....

The GM kit pn 89021329 is just reboxed Permatex. The most important thing is that the glue is fresh. If it's more than a few months old it's no good and the mirror won't stay.

The thing I find amusing is that it's one of the few parts you can actually watch fail. Both of mine I saw wiggling kinda funny right before they flew off.

Thanks for all the reply.

Mine did not wiggle. I went to start the suburban yesterday and it was already down hanging by the wire for the compass.

Ok here you go from a 20 year body man,, that has been there and done ALL of that!!

First,, take a small piece of tape and put on the out side or a crayon mark,, You'll be able to locate the tab in the right spot, upon reinstall, Next get a NEW not used razor blade,, put it Flat on the glass, and cut off all old film you should be able see this happen, and when it's all gone, it's gone. Next clean the Whole interior window,, 3 times with your favorite window cleaner, No mirror in the way make this easy,, and besides,, when is the last time your inside glass was really clean anyway!??? Last but not least,, get the little mirror kit,, and used as the label says,,, I've done 100's of these over the years,, and never have a problem if these steps are taken.

Thanks for all the reply.

Mine did not wiggle. I went to start the suburban yesterday and it was already down hanging by the wire for the compass.

So? You still could have driven down the road and watched it fall off. Where's the fun in just fixing it? Actually, both of them scratched the paint to the primer on the way to the ground. Just ignore me.

No, but it is relevant.

Only a 6.5 er would try to fix the mirror; anyone else would just buy a new one and move on.

Ok here you go from a 20 year body man,, that has been there and done ALL of that!!

First,, take a small piece of tape and put on the out side or a crayon mark,, You'll be able to locate the tab in the right spot, upon reinstall, Next get a NEW not used razor blade,, put it Flat on the glass, and cut off all old film you should be able see this happen, and when it's all gone, it's gone. Next clean the Whole interior window,, 3 times with your favorite window cleaner, No mirror in the way make this easy,, and besides,, when is the last time your inside glass was really clean anyway!??? Last but not least,, get the little mirror kit,, and used as the label says,,, I've done 100's of these over the years,, and never have a problem if these steps are taken.

Thanks for the descriptive instruction. I will do it.

We have 100Degrees temp now. Is it better to do it when it is cold or the temp does not matter?

I do it in the evening,, as you glue the tab on,, and hold it still for 1 minute,,, when done,, tape it up for the night,, I'd leave it taped for a day or 2 if you can stand it.

Take the set screw out and just work with the gray tab. I know I know,, but If I don't say it,, this thread could go on for 2 -3 more post!!! LOL =D

just to add another post to this thread............i have had almost no luck with those kits. Ive had one truck that is still holding now after a year. But the other ones...forget it. A day, a week, a month, they fall off again. Im sure it dosent help that alot of our trucks see off road use and CT/NY highway use (just as bad) Ive tried numerous "rear view mirror" glues with no noticable difference. Judging by the care that is said to be given on prep work, maybe i need to do more next time i try

Moved to Interior forum.

I've had poor luck with those mirror kits no matter the meticulous prep.:nono: What I have never tried is having it done by a body shop or dealer though.:confused:

Back