• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear drum brakes

Stoney

Reaction score
Had a buddy do rear brakes for me the other day... I had a blown brake cylinder so since you have to tear the whole axle apart to get to it we figured we would change the brakes while we were at it and do both sides.. including putting new brake cylinder on the other side...and what the hell brakes are under warranty anyhow... However since he did them the truck feels like it is fighting itself.. like it is being held back.. we noticed on the driver side (which happened to be the side with the bad cylinder), when we took it apart the thick brake shoe was on the front (closest to cab)and the thin shoe was on the back.... The passenger side was just the opposite the thin shoe on front the thick shoe on back ....my vote was to put the new ones on the way the old ones were on it... I figured they worked this long that way maybe that's how they go... However my vote got vetoed... He and another mechanic said that the thick shoe should always be on the back.. so they put them on the back on both sides... any chance that is what's causing the truck to feel like it is dragging??

The shoe that is missing 2-3 inches from the top always go forward as this is what allows the shoe to bite in. This is typically the thinner shoe. Check to make sure they didnt set the adjusters too tight. For the 1st couple hundred miles your shoes are bedding/wearing in, and will need frequent adjustments, but dont set them tight as you will overheat/glaze them ruining the shoes.

We backed the adjusters off they were really tight.. took off across the parking lot and the truck felt perfect... Got to the other end of the parking lot hit the brakes put it in reverse did k turn and headed back across a lot and they were tightened right back up like we had never losened them..

I guess I'm going to have to take the whole rear end back apart...was trying to avoid that because it's so much work pulling the axles out and everything.. if anybody happen to have a disc brake rear end I want it... Although I'm not sure disc brakes would be able to stop a Dualey.. I would be more than willing to sacrifice the stopping power LOL

Sounds like the adjusters got put on the front side instead of the back side. The adjusters should only work in reverse, and require hitting the brakes pretty good to make them work.

Boy you nailed it right on the headyou sent that message at the exact same time I was pulling the driver side drum off.. He put them on backwards on both sides...

Been meaning to ask... Is that little Italian restaurant still on the corner of 54 and lane road?? Picotas or picolas. Something like that??

Pretty sure it still is. This town has changed so much, so fast, it's barely recognizeable anymore.
Man, that's true everywhere. Especially after the '08 crash, we had so many mom & pop local businesses/restaurants that had been around for decades and a couple of generations just disappear. Blocks torn down and new retail/appartment developments put up that are sitting half vacant.

As an "old timer", I still give directions and navigate by what used to be there 30, 40, 50 years ago. "Yeah, that new store, it's next to where the King's used to be back in the 70's, before it was turned into Jack's Bar, then became that sandwich shop that closed a couple of years ago."

Our problem is were changing from a small town of people who wanted mom & pop places to the big city types who turn there nose up unless its a national chain.

Lol.. depends on how far back you want to go..when I first moved to to zephyrhills it was nothing but a little retirement community.. about 90% of the population was over the age of 55.and come spring they all headed north so the town was pretty much empty.. your choices for places to hang out were the Walmart parking lot at night, cheers 54 bar..or the clock... well honestly we usually left Cheers 54 and went to the clock. I worked at a little restaurant called "Four Bears".. it was right next to "The Clock" restaurant... I know four bears went out of business and it turned into BJ's I think...last I knew somebody had told me that the clock went out of business don't know if that's true or not.... Of course you're talkin late 90s early 2000s... The only real bad part of town then was if you crossed the tracks on I think it was either 5th Street or 6th Street.... But back then the cops didn't really bother you too much if you were not causing any major trouble.. sometimes I wonder if any of my old friends still even live there.. lol

We're a town that's knocking on 300,000 population but is revitalizing the original 150+ year old business district into small retail, restaurants and apartments/condos by restoring/renovating the old warehouses who still have good "bones". Somehow the City got BNSF railroad to relocate their entire yard facility about a quarter mile further west so that that area to the west of the old Burlington/Amtrak depot could be developed as the Railyard entertainment district just to the south of our new, state of the art 15,000+ seat arena. At least we are proactively preventing the inner city urban decay that so many expanding cities experience.

Lol.. depends on how far back you want to go..when I first moved to to zephyrhills it was nothing but a little retirement community.. about 90% of the population was over the age of 55.and come spring they all headed north so the town was pretty much empty.. your choices for places to hang out were the Walmart parking lot at night, cheers 54 bar..or the clock... well honestly we usually left Cheers 54 and went to the clock. I worked at a little restaurant called "Four Bears".. it was right next to "The Clock" restaurant... I know four bears went out of business and it turned into BJ's I think...last I knew somebody had told me that the clock went out of business don't know if that's true or not.... Of course you're talkin late 90s early 2000s... The only real bad part of town then was if you crossed the tracks on I think it was either 5th Street or 6th Street.... But back then the cops didn't really bother you too much if you were not causing any major trouble.. sometimes I wonder if any of my old friends still even live there.. lol
I go back a bit furthur(been here since right after birth, I'm one of the Geiger's). Most have left because of all the development here, it doesn't hardly resemble the same town anymore. It's gotten to where it can take 45 minutes to get across town now come 6pm because of all the traffic. They're starting on almost a thousand apartments over the old dairy now, Handcart Rd is springing up with developments, and Eiland Blvd is going to have well over 10K houses on it in the next couple of years just by Handcart. I know I swore I would never leave(my family dates back to 1843 here), but the wife and I are looking up around the Panhandle.

Come out here. LOTS of wide open space, friendly people and a low cost of living.

Shoot I would love to go out there to the Midwest.... Everybody says it's still pretty quiet living out there... Oh and here's a plus you guys don't get snow blizzards..lol..... Are you talkin about the big dairy right there off of 301?? It be on your right hand side heading to Dade City??

And you ain't kidding about your family being there a while...if I remember right there's a road named Geiger.. I'm going to assume thats after you're family members..hell there were three guys I hung out with down there named tank , dozer, and Chris Powers...we called them tank and dozer because they were both huge and both of them first names were Mike... We used to all go drag racing out through there by the dairy... Or we would go the other way out of town and race down there by the sulfur plant or mine or whatever you want to call it I remember it was a quarter mile from the railroad tracks to the 90-degree turn at the end .we didn't always make the corner..lol.. I lost a nice Iroc right there.lol

Yep, Gores dairy closed down years ago, and its now a shopping center and soon to be apartment's. And yes, I'm one of them, I live a mile from where what is left of Geiger rd.

Back