• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear axle seal replacement

snarl95

Reaction score
My right rear brake had been grabbing lately so I pulled the drum and everything was covered in what I am assuming was gear fluid. I cleaned it all up and put new shoes on and unclogged the vent tube hoping that fixes the problem. So here's the thing, I have looked for a video or write up on how to replace the seals on the rear. The problem is I have the drums that slip off. All the videos and write ups I found are for the rear where you have to take the axle out to get the drum off and replace the seals in the drum hub assembly. So any help here is appreciated.

sometimes in the end sometimes further in depending on the axle. I don't know exactly where yours are , this is on your 95 in the sig? doesn't seem like the right axle for the application

@ak diesel driver is describing the 1/2 ton stuff.

You have a full floater K3500 that is IMO the better design where the drum comes off the hubs without pulling the axel out. Some 2500 Pickups have the studs pressed through the drums into the hubs. No hard and fast rules either. So you are knocking the 8 bolts off the axel to hub, hitting it once with a sledge hammer to bounce the axel out, oil will drain out so bucket under it, then you remove the spring clip retainer, pull the key and then the bearing nut comes out. Then pull the "hub". With or without the drum still on it.

The 14 Bolt Bible
By BillaVista

https://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/

If it's the full floating design where the axle shaft comes out after you remove the bolts in the center, then after you pull the shaft out there's a nut wit some sorta retainer keeping it t from turning. The retainer style varies from year to year so I'm not sure exactly what you have. The thing that they have in common is a nut to adjust the bearing.

I just have to say this... I had never done a rear drum brake job until I bought this truck.... And I had no intentions of doing it this time so I took it to Mavis....for two hours I watch them beat on the inside of the drums trying to get them off the truck..... An old hand mechanic that was there getting tires put on his truck walked out in the shop reached into the end of the axle tube took out the clip and told them here pull now...

Yep, everybody on pirate4x4 and a few other sites says to use the gmt-800 wheel seals for the aam version. And find a video for the seal replacement on an early 2000's with a full floater, they used the same hubs and everything as yours(just with disc brakes instead of drums). They're really easy to do though. Get the drum off(the hardest part of the whole job), remove the axle retaining bolts, slide the axle out, use a pick and pull the axle retaining nut holder clip, use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the axle retaining nut lock pin, remove the axle retaining nut(it's large, but moves easily with a pair of needle nose pliers stuck into the slots), then pop the hub off. If you choose to do the bearings thats not a fun job, but the seals are easy.

I've had some debate with a couple of guys... Do you guys think having rear disc brakes is better than drum brakes on a 1 ton?? Obviously they're easier to work on but I'm more referring to for stopping power.. I see them at the auctions around here in the summertime and keep thinking about converting my truck to all disc but not sure if I want to do it considering how heavy of stuff I tow... Just curious of you guys is opinion

Stoney I've heard that but I really don't know the facts perhaps FERM will chime in on this question.

I do know that you can install quad calipers of rear aftermarket brake conversions...then if you have a DANA 60 up front you can run quad calipers too......for a walloping 8 caliper brake system.

Disk is more expensive to produce and includ a parking brake. That the only reason drums are still made anywhere.
Disks stop better, less wear, lower cost of operation, handle heat, cold, water, sand, and mud better.

Btw, i was an old drum brake hold out from the 70’s. Just have to give into the facts and change my old mindsets sometimes.

Back