• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Reading IAT - from sensor

DennisG01

Reaction score
Is there any inexpensive (in other words, "cheap" :smile5: ) ways to read the IAT from the sensor on the plenum? Am I correct in saying a Tech2 can, but generic code readers can't? Any way to hack the signal?

I'm curious.

I suppose you could always tap in a probe and install a guage to check the air temp. Probably need a special sensor that will read air. Most out there are designed to read the temp. of fluids ie. coolant, and trans. fluid. I have never really thought about it, but would be a good option for another guage.

Professionally done Autoenginuity, or Peper OBDII (has freeware), both pcware for yer laptop, palm pc or palm pilot - get one uv'em and weep no more...................

Professionally done Autoenginuity, or Peper OBDII (has freeware), both pcware for yer laptop, palm pc or palm pilot - get one uv'em and weep no more...................

Haven't heard of Peper before - I'll take a look. Have heard of AutoE - but I thought that was only OBDI???

Since IAT sensor is a thermister, could you read resistance and correlate that to a current/resistance vs. temp scale?

Yup - can do that (I'll look around for a correlation scale). Does that mean I just need to probe the leads coming off the sensor on the plenum? Although, ultimately I'd like to be able to gather temp data in real-time and this might make it more difficult - maybe I'd get used to it, though. Hmmm, lot's to think about. I think gathering IAT (easily and effectively) could be some very useful data.

You'd need a 12mohm^ tap, or you'll load PCM input, making that input unreliable as a source - do a search for Alex Peper - may be carcode................

Peper = Carcode - that I have heard of. I didn't see any free stuff on his website, but his price isn't too bad for you get, either. More than what I spend on this little project, but still a good value. Autoenginuity was a little more.

I'll keep checking. Any other ideas?

My brother in law has an Actron code scanner. I believe you can read sensors live. I don't know for sure but will ask him. About $130.00 at the auction site.

ScanGuage II, an aux digital dash guage\instrument, reads all sensors directly from OBDII DLC connector, incl fuelrates, Boost pressure, etc - anything PCM sees - does realtime fuel economy in MPG - programmable to display any four data points - reads\clears DTC's, about 3"x1"x0.5" WxHxD @ 168 bucks - check'em out at Scanguage.com

Alex Peper developed Car Code OBD-2, I have it for my 98. It was inexpensive and covers many of the new vehicle diagnostics. I haven't used it much so can't say how I like it yet. http://www.obd-2.com/index.html#home I have the TRICAN version. Leo

Last edited:
That ScanGauge is pretty cool! It's a nice little package. I'll have to think about that - but I'll put it on the "wish list" for now. I don't have a laptop, so the other two won't work for me.

The more I think about this, I'm not sure I'll really use an IAT gauge on a regular basis. It would probably just be something I use for testing various intake configurations. Once I find what I like, I probably won't use the gauge again.

That brings me back to looking for an 'el cheapo mod, again. Maybe monitoring resisatance values wouldn't be so bad - I mean I'm really only looking for a max value, anyways. GMCTD, can you tell me more about this "tap" thing? What's all involved?

Dennis wont have a prob w/ his truck but I just noticed that it said it will not work on 1996 or 97 gm, ford, or dodge diesel trucks. Just for the others that may think of getting one.

PCM input is 12megohms, providing minimal loading on the sensor - you'll need a correspondingly high impedance load when you tap into the sensor wire, so as not to offset the PCM input - meaning, a simple temperature guage will not work - you'll need some type of meter with fet or op-amp circuitry

Dennis wont have a prob w/ his truck but I just noticed that it said it will not work on 1996 or 97 gm, ford, or dodge diesel trucks. Just for the others that may think of getting one.

I noticed the same thing and looked into it more and came across some threads (it's been a while so I don't have them handy) and its seems that it does work on those years, but some data is not shown ( I believe boost was one, as well as another) but guys were finding/working on ways to get around it. The company was also trying to work on it too so a new version might be available now.

If you search scanguage on the "other" place you'll find the threads I came across

That ScanGauge is pretty cool! It's a nice little package. I'll have to think about that - but I'll put it on the "wish list" for now.

Look at it close before buying, could be cool; but last time I looked into it, wasn't much use to the 6.5 truck, would be nice if it had EGT, as I'd like to put it in my VW TDI as it doesn't take up much room, (and ain't much room for gauges in TDI Bug), I suggested adding EGT to them and they never replied back to me, when pressing for technical responses I didn't get a warm fuzzy from them, look hard into return policy if it doesn't suit your expectations, IIRC that was kinda fuzzy as well, or maybe I got wrong sales person on phone/email.

If you have the 16-pin connector, plug it in and see - it is just another OBD2 pcware program - used to be freeware, just like carcode

ghitch75's is OBD-1

yes i have a OBD I cable and use GMTD SCAN TECH for the 95....was just wondering if the one i got for the g/f's car would work for 96 and newer 6.5l?

will this ver.of AutoEnginuity 6.0.2 work with the 6.5l?...no one i know has a 96 or newer to try it on...

Back