• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

rattle from drivers front left in 2005 Suburban 5.3

chefmike

Not just a truck... a project.
Reaction score
Front end was just rebuilt and this rattle is still going... it sounds plastic-y. Only once has it been accompanied by a grind/rub that I felt in the steering wheel. It always repeats the 4 times you hear in the video, first repetition loudest and longest, others diminishing but similar. It does not happen if the wheel is turned right or left on testing.

Rattle on 2005 suburban

Thoughts and ideas? I have been searching, but have not found anything that seems connected to this particular noise.

Huh... totally possible considering the corrosion I have. It is just weird, nothing changes in the speed of it or rythm. Hard throttle or soft throttle, it seems to be independent of suspension/drive train. Steering is the only thing I have heard change it: silences it if wheel is right or left. It is like something is spinning free at every start from zero, a little gear, or a pump.

Same noise, over and over. Must be the ghost of my old 6.5! Nah... too quiet and consistent to be the 6.5. Still makes me want to check all the grounds...

I am one step further: it is something in the brake system pressurizing or spooling up. If I touch the brake petal during the noise I can feel it, like ABS cycling. No issues with actual braking: pull, shudder, stopping power, etc.

Steering column? My old 2003 truck needed some grease. I think it maybe a recall issue?

There is an issue with the column. I feel nothing in the column though (not saying that makes it true or false). Another person suggested wheel hub..

Huh? How would disabling the traction control change the sound? All it does is stops the PCM from reducing timing and/or cycling the ABS differently...

Huh? How would disabling the traction control change the sound? All it does is stops the PCM from reducing timing and/or cycling the ABS differently...
No clue, I was figuring a faulty speed sensor was cycling traction control at 1,000 rpms. Turn off traction control, it prevents it from cycling. I bet if i jack the brakes on a gravel road, I could get an abs error.

Thoughts?

Back