• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

R134a source recommendations

Yeah, i looked into it more and this doesn't have a retro kit on it. All original except the screw on adapters. Now not even sure if the asshat even swapped the oil or if it has mineral oil with 134a in it.

Trying hard to let go of my paranoia on flammable refrigerant in the cabin.

Then hating this car on top of it makes me kinda wish it would burn up, let alone taking time away to work on it. Nothing wrong with the car- parts are cheap and it gets over 30mph even with a turbo that is leaking exhaust and not boosting all the way. I just hate it. Almost due for an oil change and thinking about having a shop do it instead of me. As soon as I redo my hummer this thing will collect spider webs, but that will probably be all summer long it looks like.

If I have any hiccups with this or get spoiled by work truck a/c, I will probably try it.

Overdriven fan in an LLY?

VS. the nearly identical LB7 Duramax diesel cooling system. The LLY cooling system has a smaller fan drive pulley for higher fan speed. Fan drive ratio of 1.29 (LB7) to 1.45 (LLY). Other than going outside industry norms for fan speed you could hang meat in the 2005 I had from the AC on a hot day. This was because the idle airflow over the condenser was so high. Keeping the condenser cooler in hot weather via more airflow is one solution. Larger condensers can have the same effect.

VS. the nearly identical LB7 Duramax diesel cooling system. The LLY cooling system has a smaller fan drive pulley for higher fan speed. Fan drive ratio of 1.29 (LB7) to 1.45 (LLY). Other than going outside industry norms for fan speed you could hang meat in the 2005 I had from the AC on a hot day. This was because the idle airflow over the condenser was so high. Keeping the condenser cooler in hot weather via more airflow is one solution. Larger condensers can have the same effect.
Last I looked in the parts manuals, they both use the same exact balancer for the same belt driven diameter, and the LB7 and LLY both use the same fan drive. The fan drive didn't change until 06 with the 06 LLY that was nothing more than a detuned LBZ. The fan clutch itself changed for the LLY from LB7 to move the engagement temp UP on 04 LLY's, but mid year 05 GM changed the fan clutch again after over heaters showed up. I have a feeling your LLY info was 06 LLY, not 04.5-05 LLY.

Back