• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

R134a source recommendations

Will L.

Reaction score
I need to do the hummer and the 87 benz. So 30# would be a bit much, but cant really see getting a bunch of the little cans unless that is the way to go for pricing

I have a set of gauges and the vacuum pump, so not the little auto trigger cans.

I normally pick it up at Sam's in the fall when there pricing drops down to $70-80 for a 30lb cylinder. They don't carry it down here in the winter, they want $180 a can in spring when they 1st get them in, drop to $120 for summer, then to $70 to get rid of them every year. Otherwise it's where ever is cheapest. Walmart gets $8-9 a can down here, but we have an Ollies bargain outlet that gets $4.50 a can. Sometimes save a lot has them for $4-5 a can, but for the money, the 30lb cylinder just makes more sense when I can get it in the fall.

Yeah, I should have been smart enough to buy in the winter- just didn't think about it.

When I bought the benz the seller told me he was running 134 instead of 12. Wasnt until 3 years later I realized all he did was put on adapters. Gee, wonder why it goes flat in 3 years- haha.
Just a nice loss of all the smaller molecules through the hose walls- kinda like they said would happen in class...Luckily still under a little pressure the whole time so I can just vac it down and fill.

The hummer needs compressor, dryer, flush, and planning on getting some TLTD from techline to paint the coils- 30% larger coils could make a huge difference. Ya know, iirc the coil size loss of r12 to r134a was estimated at 30%. A feller could actually have an r12 conversation blow exactly as cold as original by doing that- but I just dont like the benz enough to put in the work. But any of you guys that has an old r12 system conversion- there is a key helper.

Cheapest I am seeing online is $150 amazon for 30lbs. Oriellys and antifreedomzone get $200. Pepboys $235 (gold valve?)

Rural King has it for 99.99 every day. I don't know if you can order it online though. Guess you don't have one out there.

. . . 30% larger coils could make a huge difference. Ya know, iirc the coil size loss of r12 to r134a was estimated at 30%. A feller could actually have an r12 conversation blow exactly as cold as original by doing that. . .

Good to know :)

Propane is 11 dollars for a 30 pound tank at costco. LOL I can't resist starting a cascade of vehement opinions and arguments. Im propane neutral by the way. Switzerland of propane opinions.

Rural King has it for 99.99 every day. I don't know if you can order it online though. Guess you don't have one out there.

Dang! I'm lookin at $130 shipping from them. Cool store though. They said they are opening stores going down the coast and will head west from there. Probably get here about 2 days after I die. Haha.

Propane- um, no thanks. I was passanger in a pickup that got hit rearended by an old Honda that they did that in. Just like the videos, we pulled her out of the flame...
If it were only outside the cabin I would have no problem, but the coil inside the passanger cabin leads to a very bad day.

If I am against the flammable coolant options cuz the heater core, you probably guessed where I was on propane.

The other option is r-152 I think it is. It's the stuff they use in the spray cans for cleaning computer parts and such. Don't know what stores you have nearby, but down here sometimes dollar general has the cans for about $5. You may also try an hvac supplier as r-134 is pretty commonly used in glass display case chillers, fridges, window A/C units, and dehumidifiers. My neighbor is an A/C guy, and I think he said he's paying around $125 for a cylinder last I asked him. If you're near a recycler or large salvage yard, sometimes they sell cylinders of reclaimed gas cheap. It's been used, but once filtered, theres nothing wrong with it.

Ok thanks for all the help.
It hit me of the local robin air licensed repair shop in Vegas called auto air and more. My wife stopped by and picked up a tank for $129. I could have got it at $120 from Sams club, but would have to wait a couple days for it to come in and charge the system next weekend.
I just turned soft. Spent the $9 for 1 extra week of a/c on the ride home from work next week. I was whining to myself something about 115 degree weather next week and justified it.
Funny thing is I am only cheap on comfort to myself. If my wife had to drive it 2-3 days I would pay an extra $200 without thinking about it. Haha.

Everybody needs to check out the stuff in that Rural King. Anyplace that sells tools, materials, and ar15s- that is a win in my book.

That was my Friday. : 2 pm text A/c quit working on family ride, 2003 Envoy XL 20 min late RR widow won't close. Long story short. After wheeling a bit with O Reilly they gave me 20 off the regulator which brought the price down to only $ 11 more than RA and they pulled it from warehouse so I had it by noon Saturday. A/C worked fine Sat morning Still do no know what happened to it. the ambient sensor had come loose and was dangling... maybe the clutch is dying worked fine Sunday coupled of 12 mile drives at 87 degrees and humidity felt to same ( yea I know you don't get the humidity part! lol) So I decide it time to fix the air on the burb, The evap has a crack in line at the dryer so I will pull the dash and get new stuff in and pray the comp holds out for a few more goes!

So it's working. Only gets around 50ish in the vents, unless I help out the condensor with a gallon of water, then near instant 38* at the vent. Definitely undersized condenser becasue of the r12 vs 134a.

How much does a/c in the 50's help? Left this in the vent after testing (cant find my normal thermometer - don't tell my wife I stole her's for a day). Here is what it was when I got in the car to go home today. 117 outside temp-

IMG_2815.JPG

No, if I was there I would be freaking out- MY HEATER ONLY GETS TO 215*!!! Freezing over here!.

My wife would be happy as can be.

I would go Cali for the weather, except 40 million other people had that idea...and way to many anti-freedom ones at that.

The more I think about that thermometer . . .

Am suspecting that there is a sign in front of the house:
"Forget about the dog.
Forget about the extensive 2'nd Amendment collection.
Just pray the Missus does not find you!"

(Sorry, could not resist :) :) :) )

So it's working. Only gets around 50ish in the vents, unless I help out the condensor with a gallon of water, then near instant 38* at the vent. Definitely undersized condenser becasue of the r12 vs 134a.

How much does a/c in the 50's help? Left this in the vent after testing (cant find my normal thermometer - don't tell my wife I stole her's for a day). Here is what it was when I got in the car to go home today. 117 outside temp-

View attachment 50197

You absolutely need to retrofit back to R12.

It was 119 here yesterday, Patch proved again the steel fan doesn't suck at idle (vs. the Duramax fan) and kicks off the AC even with a VOV orface tube. The Dodge likes to vent 1/2 the system at 450-500 PSI due to a rare warm up bug in the ECM (No fan and ignores the high pressure setpoints to kick out the clutch when cold), but, it works quite well on alternative refrigerant in extreme temps without excessive fan the krap R134a requires with anything over 105 degrees outside temp.

With the flammable mixture of propane and isobutane, Envirosafe Industrial, I am getting mid 30's out of the vents in the Dodge when it's 119 out! :p (After the initial cool down that is). Unless you have an overdriven fan like the LLY's have this will be difficult to match with the krap R134a in the high (105+) outside temps.

Back